Living With the Land vs Na'vi River Journey

Better ride?

• Total voters

aliceismad

I agree that NRJ doesn't have a real clear story attached to it, and that might be a deterrent for some folks as well. It's a ride that some people get off and go "well what was the point of that?"

We've used FP for it (mostly because our kiddo wasn't big enough for FOP), and I'd say it'd be much higher rated if they could consistently get the wait down to a more reasonable time.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Living with the Land... Longer ride, short wait times, less cramped, and serves generally the same purpose, but better. (Sit down, relax.)

UNCgolf

We've used FP for it (mostly because our kiddo wasn't big enough for FOP), and I'd say it'd be much higher rated if they could consistently get the wait down to a more reasonable time.

I've said the same here before. The wait time skews people's expectations, which then makes them think it's worse than it really is because of how long they had to wait for it. I bet people who have been visiting since the parks reopened like it more because they've only been waiting 20-30 minutes max instead of waiting an hour+.

If it was in the Magic Kingdom, it would have much shorter waits and would probably be enjoyed by most riders. It might even be considered a hidden gem type ride that people got on several times a day.

Robbydj13

I've said the same here before. The wait time skews people's expectations, which then makes them think it's worse than it really is because of how long they had to wait for it. I bet people who have been visiting since the parks reopened like it more because they've only been waiting 20-30 minutes max instead of waiting an hour+.

If it was in the Magic Kingdom, it would have much shorter waits and would probably be enjoyed by most riders. It might even be considered a hidden gem type ride that people got on several times a day.
Very valid points, but I think we have to take in everything when judging the ride. And wait times are part of that, as it affects overall experience. Would I ride it once or twice each time im in AK if I could walk on with no more than a 15-20 minute wait, of course! But unfortunately that is not the case. I think it was just so hyped up that it has no chance to live up to those expectations

Phonedave

Navi is nice. Well done visuals, but not much else.

Living With the Land gets back to what WDW used to be all about, as well as what EPCOT was about - storytelling and education.

Yeah, Navi has lots of detail you can look at, but LWtL has something more - interesting reality.

Robbydj13

Navi is nice. Well done visuals, but not much else.

Living With the Land gets back to what WDW used to be all about, as well as what EPCOT was about - storytelling and education.

Yeah, Navi has lots of detail you can look at, but LWtL has something more - interesting reality.
Agree...LwtL is vintage Disney.

TotallyBiased

Nahh. Only time I ever road Navi was with a FP, waited all of 15 min and I still considered it a waste of time after it was done.

UNCgolf

Nahh. Only time I ever road Navi was with a FP, waited all of 15 min and I still considered it a waste of time after it was done.

You're just one person, though. I think Frozen Ever After is a waste of time and would only ride it as a walk-on, but I'm clearly in a minority there.

Most of the complaints about NRJ seem to have the wait times as a major factor. It's far from a perfect ride regardless, but it's a pretty good C ticket.

TotallyBiased

You're just one person, though. I think Frozen Ever After is a waste of time and would only ride it as a walk-on, but I'm clearly in a minority there.

Most of the complaints about NRJ seem to have the wait times as a major factor. It's far from a perfect ride regardless, but it's a pretty good C ticket.

We'll just agree to disagree. I'm not overly fond of Frozen either outside of Olaf & Sven.

Robbydj13

Hes one person but definitely in the majority...

Id say its more of a B-Ticket, honestly

LvnDisney

Going to have to go with Living with the Land, one of my must do's. Navi is a beautiful ride, but just too short. Will ride it if the wait isn't too long.

spock8113

NRJ has one, yes one animatronic (no s) and is very similar to LWTL. To me AVATAR is the intergalactic version of Dances With Wolves and the Avatar franchise seems rather short lived. Although it was conceptually ground-breaking, it had short staying power.
Living with the Land is more World's Fair entertainment, a ride that educates WHILE entertaining as opposed to entertaining through entertainment itself. I'm just a "seedy" curmudgeon and nostalgic for the old reliable Living With The Land and it's enduring theme.

Time to repair/replace the window panels in the geodesic dome, they are looking rather shabby!
How about "Donate and get your name etched in a corner of a replacement panel" Donator names are etched on the triangular edges as not to interfere with the sun. The panels are numbered and then you get a map of which panel your name is on. Just sayin'.....................

I think Navi River Journey would have worked much better as a "slice of life" look into the Navi culture. Why not have some Navi cooking or doing some kind of craftsmanship on the riverbank? I always thought that having some Navi children curiously peering at us, the "aliens" from behind some trees or through tall grass would really turn the tables that WE are the strange ones, since we are visitors in their world. Of course this would require more expensive animatronics, but it's always felt like there are not enough Navi in Pandora. Since they cannot be done as walk-around characters, I wish they would have put more in the ride.

(So yeah, Living with the Land all the way for me!)

Sue_Vongello

The issue I have with the people who "support" NRJ is that it always comes with large caveats. I do not ever hear or see anyone that says I love everything about it. Its usually along the lines of "yeah the story is non existent and its too short but the visuals are great!" or "yeah the queue is terrible and its mostly screens but there is that one amazing animatronic!"

My problem with this is that why are we making excuses or accepting mediocrity ... of course we really don't have a choice, but do we? The fans outcry changed the plans for New Fantasyland after it was initially announced. The Stitch show in Tomorrowland was cancelled after like a month because fans didn't support it. So we have power but not when people are willing to accept mediocrity or whatever Disney does as amazing. You may not think its the worst attraction ever but I don't think anyone can argue that its anything more than mediocre.

Robbydj13

The issue I have with the people who "support" NRJ is that it always comes with large caveats. I do not ever hear or see anyone that says I love everything about it. Its usually along the lines of "yeah the story is non existent and its too short but the visuals are great!" or "yeah the queue is terrible and its mostly screens but there is that one amazing animatronic!"

My problem with this is that why are we making excuses or accepting mediocrity ... of course we really don't have a choice, but do we? The fans outcry changed the plans for New Fantasyland after it was initially announced. The Stitch show in Tomorrowland was cancelled after like a month because fans didn't support it. So we have power but not when people are willing to accept mediocrity or whatever Disney does as amazing. You may not think its the worst attraction ever but I don't think anyone can argue that its anything more than mediocre.
True statement. An excellent example is the very strong supporter in this thread repeatedly defending it because of “great visuals” and then following with BUT...yada, yada, yada....nothing about the ride is great except visuals. So if only 1 out of 5 things is great....IT AINT A GREAT RIDE!! Its a bad ride with stunning visuals

UNCgolf

True statement. An excellent example is the very strong supporter in this thread repeatedly defending it because of “great visuals” and then following with BUT...yada, yada, yada....nothing about the ride is great except visuals. So if only 1 out of 5 things is great....IT AINT A GREAT RIDE!! Its a bad ride with stunning visuals

Nobody said it was a great ride. It's still better overall than almost everything else Disney has built in the past 20 years in relative terms. It's a decent C-ticket, which is better than building bad C, D, and E tickets. It's 100x better than similar attractions they've built like Little Mermaid and Frozen Ever After, which are embarrassing by Disney standards.

Basically, if they wanted to spend the money (and they don't/won't) NRJ would be easier to "fix" than other rides because it already has a strong base. All the detail work is there if they just added a few more AAs etc. (although they couldn't make it longer, which is unfortunate). A ride like the Little Mermaid would have to be completely gutted to be fixed, and although the AAs in FEA are great, they'd all have to be moved around to be able to turn that ride into anything decent. Adding actual scenes/detail work around the FEA AAs could be done which would improve it, but that wouldn't be enough to make it good.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom