Living with the land - research

tomast

Original Poster
Hi there, I think everyone ride at least one time the living with the land atraction at the land pavilion on epcot center, in that ride there is a moment when the boat (what an irony, the land has a boat ride and the seas has a train ride) goes inside the greenhouse, you can hear the narrator say that there are scientist working in cooperation with the U.S. Goverment (not sure of that last part). My question are there really scientist researching?? What research is perform?? Is there any information about this?? Has it been published? Is it just something it was one planned but then cost-cutting policies remove?? Or is it just part of the show of the ride??

maxresdefault.jpg

KBLovedDisney

Hi there, I think everyone ride at least one time the living with the land atraction at the land pavilion on epcot center, in that ride there is a moment when the boat (what an irony, the land has a boat ride and the seas has a train ride) goes inside the greenhouse, you can hear the narrator say that there are scientist working in cooperation with the U.S. Goverment (not sure of that last part). My question are there really scientist researching?? What research is perform?? Is there any information about this?? Has it been published? Is it just something it was one planned but then cost-cutting policies remove?? Or is it just part of the show of the ride??

maxresdefault.jpg
You could always take the "Behind the Seeds" Tour and ask the tour guide these questions. My hubby asked questions along the same lines when we did this tour.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

maxresdefault.jpg
Rest assured the people are doing something because Disney wouldn’t pay real people to act like they are doing research.

It’d be like putting real actors in all the rides instead of animatronics.

My guess is the research is something fairly mundane and low level. They probably aren’t breaking new ground in the field.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The short answer is yes. Real research does happen in the Land , AK and the Seas. In total, upwards of 3000 papers have been published by researchers working in cooperation with Disney..

The links below go as far back as 2010 and site a small fraction of the work published by scientists working at Disney.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-research-disney-20150904-story.html

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1996/jul/disney

https://ask.metafilter.com/145591/Does-Disneys-Living-with-the-Land-produce-actual-research

Smiley/OCD

Rest assured the people are doing something because Disney wouldn’t pay real people to act like they are doing research.

It’d be like putting real actors in all the rides instead of animatronics.

My guess is the research is something fairly mundane and low level. They probably aren’t breaking new ground in the field.
I don't think training pumpkins to grow into the shape of Mickey is mundane LOL!!!

bhg469

Good question... While i dont know the answer, there is a hydroponics store in buffalo ny that used to boast on their radio commercials that they helped build some of that pavilion. Thats just a fun tidbit I thought I would drop.

WelshBatman

maxresdefault.jpg
As far as the government research goes, they did do some research for NASA but I believe that stopped.
That said they still do lots of research for grant projects through private companies and the like.
Behind the seeds really is a cool tour to take. If you're slightly interested in the ride, it's worth it.

tomast

Original Poster
As far as the government research goes, they did do some research for NASA but I believe that stopped.
That said they still do lots of research for grant projects through private companies and the like.
Behind the seeds really is a cool tour to take. If you're slightly interested in the ride, it's worth it.

Here! I found a video to check the exact time the narrator tell that
"Scientist from epcot and the U.S. Department of Agriculture are exploring ...."

s8film40

I've never even noticed a gift shop in the Land pavilion. Got to be tiny.
I don’t even remember for sure if there is still one in the Land. I think there’s a small one across from the Soarin entrance. In any case these are the plants (not my Photos) they’re sold at multiple locations throughout WDW I think. I never really paid too much attention but they even have a Mickey in a lab coat, haha. These are lined up all over the place in that “lab” on the ride.
9CE99C8E-8789-4216-BD65-0FCAD2913326.jpeg
61B77AA1-CA8A-4CB3-9119-EFD4E5D21EF6.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom