Living Near Disney World

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sledge said:
I'll get Angela to call in the morning and find out all the details. I found something that said the 3/2 was in our price range. So far so good. I'm glad we found this and a few other options tonight. I was really starting to stress. Now I can just stress over being able to actually GET the apartment. :lol:
If you move to Orlando, I think it is a requirement to become a regular at the Adventurers Club. My wife and I will be a regular for ten days in January!!!

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
If you move to Orlando, I think it is a requirement to become a regular at the Adventurers Club. My wife and I will be a regular for ten days in January!!!
It's not an "if". There is noooooooo way I'm not moving. I'll live in a real ________ hole if that's what it takes. :lol: We're going to be on such a budget that it will be hard to be a regular even at the local IHOP. lol

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sledge said:
It's not an "if". There is noooooooo way I'm not moving. I'll live in a real ________ hole if that's what it takes. :lol: We're going to be on such a budget that it will be hard to be a regular even at the local IHOP. lol
:lol:

I think they have a couple of nights a week where the first hour or two are free. Scottie would know, he is the guy who got us hooked.

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
:lol:

I think they have a couple of nights a week where the first hour or two are free. Scottie would know, he is the guy who got us hooked.
I've never been but always wanted to go. With being on a budget it'll be kind of hard to do a lot of stuff until we are making more money. It'll pretty much be getting the annual passes for Christmas and birthday gifts, we'll just have to bring our own food since we'd be in major debt if we ate at the parks every time. lol It's a good thing we are Disney obsessed and could be perfectly fine just going to Disney every time we wanted to get out. I lived in Winter Park when I was a kid and we used to go to the parks twice a week or more and that was the greatest six years of my life. Can't wait to get back.

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I just noticed you are residing in Houston, hakunamatata. Maybe us Texans should do this Orlando thang together and you can move within a quick driving distance to Disney World too! :lol: I think when I move I'm going to start saying "reckon", "right quick" (totally Texan), "out yonder", and "britches" so people will wonder if Texas is really like that. :lol: Hell, before I moved here I thought we'd be "driving" a horse down the middle of a town built out of all wood with swinging doors as entrances. Sad thing is I'm 20 and I've only lived here six months. :lol: Kidding. I've lived here 8 years now. Miss Orlando like crazy.

HomeofLove4Him

Wow I need to check into this board a little more often! People who love Disney like we do, AND who are locals LOL We live in Sanford right now, but are considering moving out that way. We had been looking (online) into Kissimmee/Poinciana. Love that it's close to the parks... but why does the info I get seem to be hit or miss? I know people who have lived there for over a decade and say it's great (got hit hard by the hurricanes couple years ago, tho)... then I have read people say it's bad. ????? We can't afford much though...at this time, our budget is around 850. So we are trying to think of some little things either dh or I could do to bring in a few hundred bucks a month, so we can up our budget to about 1000/1100 MAX.

To the OP~I agree that many places out here have gone condo. May I ask...if you can afford 1200/m, why not look for a HOUSE instead of an apt? Unless you just want an apartment.... but I didn't know if maybe you thought that you could ONLY get an apt for 1200. How I WISH we could afford 1200/m! We would have soooo many more options! :)

bjlc57

I would be reading the CNNFN site on the best places to live....

CNNFN just posted in the past week, the 100 best places to live.. ORLANDO isn't one of them.. and their crime rate is appauling.. :eek:

If you are moving just to go to WDW, ( which may or may not be the worlds best reason), I would be extremely careful to be moving to someplace that is safe.. even if you are within an hours distance or two hours disstance, my longterm personal safety is a priority..

and again, I question, WHY ORLANDO is letting itself drop so low in safety? Why aren't they doing something to rid themselves of the criminal element..

If it starts to affect the parks in any way, ORLANDO is DONE.. they will have killed the golden goose.. But I would be screaming if I were a resident of the area and the lack of enforcment that is going on there.. Like I said before NEW YORK CITY CLEANED ITS SELF UP. why can't Orlando?

HomeofLove4Him

You're so right about that. It's appalling. Thats' part of why we wanted to get FAR FAR away.... but stumbled upon Kissimmee properties along the way. We plan to go check it out this weekend... But I still don't get it~why do people say 'be careful w/Kissimmee, it has nasty spots'....when, doesn't any area have nasty spots? What is meant by that? How can I know -when we go looking- if the area we are interested in is 'nasty' or not?? LOL

Thurp

Hello! First post! :)

Did you check rent.com? That's what I used when getting ready to move to Orlando.

It allows you to restrict your searches using features like pool, covered parking, etc and price ranges. Then it gives you the phone numbers for each of those apartments. Call and ask more specific questions.

Then fly over for 2 or 3 days and personally visit the apartments in your list.

It worked so well for us that we were done in 1 day. So the next day us bought an annual pass to Universal and spent the day having fun!

Oh, and don't forget to tell the apartment you found them through rent.com If you rent from them, return to the website and they'll send you a $100 Visa card. I used to to buy a bunch of groceries!

WDWlife

We're moving to WDW area in September! But we are on the opposite side where our Manhattan rent is cheap at $1350. :brick: So disney area seems very reasonable. (Plus it seems everybody has a pool - thats nice - though in NY we do have a neighborhood bum - so we have that going for us...:lookaroun )

One idea is see if you can get a very short term place on Craig's list, say a month. Then you can look for yourself and get a feel of the areas you are comfortable with before you have to it commit. That's how we moved to NYC. It was a little odd living in someone elses place for a while but we couldn't have gotten the right place without it.

Another suggestion is "Door 2 Door" moving. (Now, I have no connection with them I was just very happy with them) They have a pod service (called City2City) where they leave a container 7x5x8 at your old place for 5 days or what ever you need. You load it and then a truck comes and picks it up. Then they load it onto a 18 wheeler for a week or two. And finally, they leave it at the new place for however many days you need to unload. We moved from LA to NYC and a full service company's quotes were $6000 + but we did door to door for about $3000. This was everything, driving the container LA to NY, storage for a month, three extra hands for the unload, and insurance.

Good luck!

WDWlife

bjlc57 said:
CNNFN just posted in the past week, the 100 best places to live.. ORLANDO isn't one of them.. and their crime rate is appauling.. :eek:

If you are moving just to go to WDW, ( which may or may not be the worlds best reason), I would be extremely careful to be moving to someplace that is safe.. even if you are within an hours distance or two hours disstance, my longterm personal safety is a priority..

and again, I question, WHY ORLANDO is letting itself drop so low in safety? Why aren't they doing something to rid themselves of the criminal element..

If it starts to affect the parks in any way, ORLANDO is DONE.. they will have killed the golden goose.. But I would be screaming if I were a resident of the area and the lack of enforcment that is going on there.. Like I said before NEW YORK CITY CLEANED ITS SELF UP. why can't Orlando?

Are we talking Orlando proper or the entire Orlando Metro Area? This is a big area. I was raised in Milwaukee (Go Packers) and that didn't always have the safest areas but most of it was fine. We can't always believe the list of "100 best - anything"

bjlc57

I grew up on the south side of Milwaukee...

yeah well I grew up on the south side of Milwaukee.. I went to a city High school.. and I can tell you that the city has changed, but not for the better, either.. but I still feel safer in Milwaukee, going to a bucks game then I would in Downtown Orlando..

Just remember that Orlando was barely on the map before Walt came.. it wasn't loaded with dirtbag places that accumulate over the years.. they allowed this junk to happen.. There was a shooting outside our hotel two visits ago..

Here was a place that we started staying at since 1989.. We booked, family and business people into the same hotel.. and the area was great.. Now I would be afraid to even drive by there.. The place was newer and jammed packed.. there was a mall right down the street and Hilton and some other "nicer big name places." I would bet you that none of them have that franchise or question how many of those places still exist.. Heck the first time that we stay there, Universal hadn't opened yet.. neither had MGM or AK..

How does a city like Orlando, which has money being thrown at it night and day, allow itself to go into the tank? Why can't ,or couldn't see that the bad eliment was starting to creep in , like the creeps that they are... and how much longer are they going to put up with this trash accumulation?

its bad enough that there are all the bill boards driving down i-75 for this type of trash.. why do you want to bring your kids down that road,seeing this stuff..

If they want to have a business fine..Its there right, if ZONING ALLOWS.. Have a sign at the exit.. but not miles and miles of smut..

all Orlando has to do is eliminate certain zoning laws.. just like they did in Times Square.. force these creeps to be creepy someplace else..

again it sounds like to much to early, but if you wait until its too late, you won't get people to come back....

Is that what Orlando really wants?

HomeofLove4Him

Well, in some areas they HAVE started.....they have forced out a few strip clubs (who moved to a different area). The thing is though.... ALL of this big huge area ISNT Orlando. Orlando does-not-have-Disney btw...Disney is physically located in the Bay area and Buena Vista area-NOT Orlando, as is understandably commonly misunderstood. Anyway, you have Orlando........then you have cities, such as Altamonte, Casselberry, Longwood, Sanford (heading out north), Kissimmee/Poinciana, LBV, etc out by Disney....then there are other areas out by Disney that ARENT good. Sadly...just b/c a community (apartments, subdiv, etc) is right by Disney, doesn't make it a safe area. That's just the facts. . .which is probably why a previous poster said.......um what else?? So you see, "Orlando" is only a small portion of that.... but personally I wouldn't want to live in Orlando. WAY too busy for my liking, and it is getting worse as far as crime, etc like you said. If only Orlando would follow suit with the areas that have banned the strip clubs! Problem is, they move several miles down the road, and into another city. They can do this b/c they are moving into a completely different city, but it IS only a few miles down the road. :fork: So glad that my area doesn't have strip clubs, but it has it's bad stuff too... which is why are are looking to move.

kal1484

As the previous poster stated, Disney is NOT Orlando. I like to look at it like Chicago. You have Downtown Chicago, the west side, the east side, the upsidedown side, etc. I lived in Hunter's Creek, Kissimmee, Lake Buena Vista, it's all considered "The Orlando area" But only Hunter's Creek is truely "Orlando" aka has a Orlando addy. Anyways...

Try Windermere or Clermont. If we go back those are the areas we are looking into. Although they are father away from UCF.

bjlc57

but in the same respect...

I am not talking "out of school" here.. there obviously is a problem and its getting worse..

If I were "making things up" people would be asking for my head..

the problem is, that if I am talking about it, how is it affecting others who are considering coming to WDW? and if I am talking about it, and others obviously know that it exists, what is the long term affect going to be if something is not being done about it NOW.. Right now is when you need to deal with this problem not 3 to 5 years from now when people are saying, Hey, its not that nice to go to Disney World.. right now, it needs to be dealt with and stomped out..

and If only one person is speaking about it, but others are acknowledging that it is happening, then how much are others already saying, should we or should we not keep coming?

this community needs to start fighting to keep the good thing that you have and that we all want.. and this forum is a good place to start..

DisneySaint

Scott if you have any info on any 1/1's please contact me ASAP. My wife and I are coming down next week August 3-7 to do our apartment hunt and need all the places we can to stop at and visit!

HomeofLove4Him

Hey Joey...have you checked out Craigslist? It's orlando.craigslist.org. That's a great place to look b/c there are often pictures posted along with the ad. HTH :)

Also...not to be nitpicky, but honestly asking-are you looking for a place in Orlando, or a place near Disney? Colonial vicinity (which I wouldn't recommend) for example, while being a central point in Orlando (Colonial the street, that is), is going to take about 30-40 mins to get to Disney. Then I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'near Disney' lol. Compared to where you live NOW, I guess that's near! Do you need the names of some cities that are truly within minutes of Disney, is that what you mean? LMK, and I can be looking for you, too. Oh, and check out the Sentinel (orlandosentinel.com) :D Good luck!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sledge said:
I just noticed you are residing in Houston, hakunamatata. Maybe us Texans should do this Orlando thang together and you can move within a quick driving distance to Disney World too! :lol: I think when I move I'm going to start saying "reckon", "right quick" (totally Texan), "out yonder", and "britches" so people will wonder if Texas is really like that. :lol: Hell, before I moved here I thought we'd be "driving" a horse down the middle of a town built out of all wood with swinging doors as entrances. Sad thing is I'm 20 and I've only lived here six months. :lol: Kidding. I've lived here 8 years now. Miss Orlando like crazy.
My goal is to retire in Orlando and drive buses for Disney. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom