Living Near And Around Kissimmee

APC221339

Original Poster
Does anyone have any suggestions on areas to live in and around the Orlando/Kissimmee area. I am looking to move there for Summer 2010. Any apartment complexes and community names would be a great help. Thanks

Rabflmom

Well, I for one will tell you that there are really nice areas in Kissimmee. Everything in Kissimmee is not right on 192.

My son lives there-used to live in Orlando by the college- one year there were fires set 4 times in his gated apartment complex where the 4 guys each paid $600 a month to live down the street from the college . Then he lived in another apartment in an area of Orlando in a $1500 a month apartment that we feared for his life if he returned after dark.
Now he lives in Lindfield's area of Kissimmee in a house and they pay just $1000 a month rent for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with screened patio on the canal with no houses behind them. Many of the homes are nicer vacation rentals. It is a really quiet, nice, older (early 80s maybe) area of Kissimmee. He loves it there. Only about 15 minutes from work, close to all the stores on 27 and the only thing we worry about is a wayward alligator while he walks his dog.

Rabflmom

I completely agree! There are some nicer developments in Kissimmee, but you won't have to go very far to find crappy areas. I am so glad I only lived there temporarily, definitely look elsewhere.

You can almost name any city in America and say the same thing. There are good, bad, and mediocre areas in every city. Shoot you can even say it about most small towns.

Hi ! :wave:
My parents used to live in Kissimmee, in a private community and there was a lot of robbery of homes, mail and lots of other crime around there also. The crime in Kissimmee has become worse over the last 10 years. My parents lived in Kissimmee since 1985 and I have to say from 1985-1995 it was fine after that it's been bad. My Dad since sold his home and bought a Townhome nearby the AKLodge area and the crime is alot less there but there is still crime in that area. People going into other peoples home and stealing electronics etc.
I have to say if I were you I would take a trip or two down and check out areas before purchasing or renting anything in the area in Kissimmee and surrounding it, especially anything on 192 you should definately stay away from.
You can also make calls to the Sharriff Dept. and inquiry about the crime in the area you want to live that is public knowledge and they need to let you know that. You can also check on line for crime etc. in the areas. I hope this helped a bit. One last thought. Disney is Disney only at the world outside the world is just like everywhere else. ;) :wave:

heartodisney

A very good friend of mine lives in a gated community, it is very nice..but it is VERY expensive..really, what is not, she and her husband HATE it because of the roads are unsafe due to wrecks all the time..we had that chance to see this when we visited them in "07. The Wal Mart is a joke, you cannot manuver around because so many people are VERY rude. They are looking into moving back to Tampa. Good luck! It is very sad down there!

My sister lives in the suburbs of Orlando in an area called Winter Gardens. We visited her in May and thought it was a lovely area. It is def. better than where she started out at down there. She originally lived on Kirkman Rd., near Universal and right across from Valencia. That is prob. one of the worst area's in the city. She had shootings and all sorts of things go on in her gated apt. complex. Luckily she has moved, the whole family feels much better. So I would say check out the Winter Gardens area. It's close a great shopping complex & there are apartments and homes for rent.

TTATraveler

You can almost name any city in America and say the same thing. There are good, bad, and mediocre areas in every city. Shoot you can even say it about most small towns.

This is true, but some areas seem to be more hit or miss and that is definitely Kissimmee. Luckily I moved to an area that doesn't have any bad areas and not really any mediocre ones either. Hopefully it remains that way.

My husband was going to be transferred to the Orlando area, so we talked to realtors and toured different areas around Orlando. The best areas we found and the realtors agreed were Oveido and Winter Springs, they are north east of Orlando. The crime rate is much lower and they are family oriented suburbs with good schools. I was pretty much horrified by the prospects of moving to the Orlando/Kissimee area originally because the the crime rate is so high and the schools are so poor. However, these two towns actually scored quite well for both crime and schooling. In the end we had to move to RI instead, but if we had to have moved to FL, we would have lived in one of these two communities.

ImaYoyo

Actually, Kissimmee is not like everyone above is saying. Unfortunately that's the typical sentiment of those that have lived in the crappy parts of town. That being said, there are some great communities in Kissimmee including The Oaks (a great and beautiful golf course community with gated neighborhoods), Hawks Nest very close to The Loop, lots of great shopping and most homes are pool homes, Eagle's Landing, Siesta Key and lot's of others off of that same road (Poinciana BLVD, and NOT the city of Poinciana, many many people confuse the two). There's lots of great areas in Kissimme.

I personally used to live in The Oaks and loved it. It's a quiet neighboorhood with a great golf course and hundred year-old oak trees. I've since moved into one of the newer communities on Poinciana BLVD. All of the homes in the community are 250k+, most have pools and all of the neighbors are very friendly.

There are lots of great neighboorhoods in Kissimmee, so long as you avoid 192.

Rabflmom

Actually, Kissimmee is not like everyone above is saying. Unfortunately that's the typical sentiment of those that have lived in the crappy parts of town. That being said, there are some great communities in Kissimmee including The Oaks (a great and beautiful golf course community with gated neighborhoods), Hawks Nest very close to The Loop, lots of great shopping and most homes are pool homes, Eagle's Landing, Siesta Key and lot's of others off of that same road (Poinciana BLVD, and NOT the city of Poinciana, many many people confuse the two). There's lots of great areas in Kissimme.

I personally used to live in The Oaks and loved it. It's a quiet neighboorhood with a great golf course and hundred year-old oak trees. I've since moved into one of the newer communities on Poinciana BLVD. All of the homes in the community are 250k+, most have pools and all of the neighbors are very friendly.

There are lots of great neighboorhoods in Kissimmee, so long as you avoid 192.

I would move to the area my son lives on the West side of Kissimmee in a heart beat and I live on the coast.(well you would actually have to take me kicking and dragging my feet not to leave the coast but if I had to....LOL ) The one drawback would be the vacation home rentals in the area, but the owners must do a great job choosing who gets to rent their homes because you don't hear the horror stories like in some neighborhoods. There are several neighborhoods out there like Emerald Isles that are really cool looking. He lives in a Lindsfield Home so is within 10 minutes of disney. There is a good Lowes, Publix, Walmart out on 27 which is just minutes away, too. We are so glad he moved out of Orlando to Kissimmee. He is safer here than at UCF and the apartments he rented while going there. Even his dorm apartment was broken into over there.

My husband was going to be transferred to the Orlando area, so we talked to realtors and toured different areas around Orlando. The best areas we found and the realtors agreed were Oveido and Winter Springs, they are north east of Orlando. The crime rate is much lower and they are family oriented suburbs with good schools. I was pretty much horrified by the prospects of moving to the Orlando/Kissimee area originally because the the crime rate is so high and the schools are so poor. However, these two towns actually scored quite well for both crime and schooling. In the end we had to move to RI instead, but if we had to have moved to FL, we would have lived in one of these two communities.

I have to agree about Oviedo & Winter Springs. Both areas (they are right next to each other & share a chamber of Commerce) are safe & quiet. I lived in a condo in Oviedo near the 417, then moved into a apt complex in Winter Springs off of 434. It's great! When I go to work at WDW, it's about a 34 mile drive each way, but I can usually make it there in under an hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom