Living in Florida

DisneyEverest

Original Poster
For those who are living down in Florida near WDW, what is it like? I always hear people say that you would get bored if you live close to Disney. I would love to live in the WDW area. Are the towns safe, is it a nice place to live?

WDWmazprty

For those who are living down in Florida near WDW, what is it like? I always hear people say that you would get bored if you live close to Disney. I would love to live in the WDW area. Are the towns safe, is it a nice place to live?

I use to live in Kissimmee, and I loved it. There are lots of tourists of course along with crowded city. I do know the Orlando area has changed somewhat. I think its all in what you like, most people I know either love it or hate it.

It's expensive, crowded, hot and humid, and after awhile, you would get bored with WDW. If you're planning on moving just only for WDW, don't.

Wilt Dasney

I'm guessing expensive and crowded are pretty relative terms for somebody from NJ...and hot and humid might actually be a bonus. :lol:

I do agree with the part about not moving exclusively for WDW, though. If you can set up all the other "real life" stuff (namely a nice, steady job) somewhere close by, it might be worth a shot.

TowerOfTerror

I moved down from NJ five months ago and I like living here. I work at Disney and live 5 minutes away. I would not recommend moving down here until the economy picks up since the job market is pretty horrible right now. I live in a gated condo complex and feel relatively safe but some areas around WDW can become sketchy areas.

I will also be the third person to say don’t move down here just for WDW.

Rabflmom

I live in Florida but could never stand living in the center of the state. On the coast you get the best of both worlds. i have thought about moving back to Chicago area in the last few years so I would be able to help my aging family; but every time I get close to doing it, I realize I would really miss being able to walk on the beach or to head over to Orlando for a day at the theme parks.

Raising my family here, I think we struggled harder than my brothers and sisters and they did not have college degrees like we do. In Florida an employee does not have as many rights as employees are given in some other states. You can be let go for no reason at all. Jobs disappear pretty quickly here.
My brothers and sisters up North still got paid more than we did , their housing was less expensive, etc. too. They were able to take vacations to fun places. We were able to make vacations home to see family because that became more important than seeing places.

Once you live here a while, you get involved in the everyday things just like families up North. Most things revolve around work, school,church, sports, clubs, after school activities and lessons for the kids. You don't have as much time to go to the theme parks as you thought you would. Mickey Mouse becomes uncool to most Florida kids by the time they are in about 3rd grade when they become more involved in sports. I think there was a period of about 12 years where we literally didn't go to Disney unless the HS band was in the parade, a school field trip was to the parks, or someone came down from up North and insisted we meet them there instead of here on the beach.

Compared to the rest of my family we have had more stress when it comes to fires, hurricanes, floods, etc. too. We also have the best stress buster in the world---- the beach.

awalkinthepark

Have a job lined up...don't just move here for WDW.

Employers do not kiss your butt down here like they did up north(MA/RI)...and you may not think your butt is kissed up north you may feel down right abused...it is nothing compared to working here in FL.

My husband and I both worked in different industries and had the same experience...my husband who was a truck driver in MA making 6 figures a year....came here and worked for 2 different tr__________g companies that screwed over their drivers on a weekly basis....one was a fuel hauler...were they paid trip pay which broke down to about $5 an hour...yes I worry about the quality of those drivers knowing what I know... he went on to a company that delivered building equipment...at first pay was great...then they started cutting pay monthly he ended up making half of what he started with and the downturn in construction played a big part in this but his hours were getting longer and his miles increased while his paycheck got smaller...he gave up and went into business for himself away from tr__________g and is making unbelievable money..blows his MA income away.

I worked in the financial and insurance industry up north...and worked insurance here....night and day experiences...I quit after 5 months here in FL and let my blood pressure get back to normal...the insurance company here was borderline abusive and just didn't allow for good customer service....sure one call could be the best experience ever..make you gush about the company..but that rep was probably forced to quit because he/she let you stay on the phone too long..... there was a reason no one was allowed to have direct extensions.

palmage

I live in Florida but could never stand living in the center of the state. On the coast you get the best of both worlds. i have thought about moving back to Chicago area in the last few years so I would be able to help my aging family; but every time I get close to doing it, I realize I would really miss being able to walk on the beach or to head over to Orlando for a day at the theme parks.

Raising my family here, I think we struggled harder than my brothers and sisters and they did not have college degrees like we do. In Florida an employee does not have as many rights as employees are given in some other states. You can be let go for no reason at all. Jobs disappear pretty quickly here.
My brothers and sisters up North still got paid more than we did , their housing was less expensive, etc. too. They were able to take vacations to fun places. We were able to make vacations home to see family because that became more important than seeing places.

Once you live here a while, you get involved in the everyday things just like families up North. Most things revolve around work, school,church, sports, clubs, after school activities and lessons for the kids. You don't have as much time to go to the theme parks as you thought you would. Mickey Mouse becomes uncool to most Florida kids by the time they are in about 3rd grade when they become more involved in sports. I think there was a period of about 12 years where we literally didn't go to Disney unless the HS band was in the parade, a school field trip was to the parks, or someone came down from up North and insisted we meet them there instead of here on the beach.

Compared to the rest of my family we have had more stress when it comes to fires, hurricanes, floods, etc. too. We also have the best stress buster in the world---- the beach.
Well put.
And have a job lined up......

Rabflmom

Well put.
And have a job lined up.>>>>>

And don't be surprised if the job disappears after you move. I have known so many people who were offered jobs while they were living up North, moved the family down, and then when they go to the job to begin, they get the bad news that the job isn't going to be filled because circumstances have changed.

Remember that the benefits of a job in Florida might not be the same as up North, too. Health insurance is hard to find in the service industry jobs. Paid vacations, sick days, personal days are not always benefits offered. Service jobs mean working a lot of holidays, weekends, and nights and most jobs in Central Florida are in the service industry. I swear sunshine and the beach are the 2 main benefits they give ya. :hammer: But if you can get past the first few years it is doable and you can actually feel Florida is your home. WTG UF! And .....the beach is actually a great benefit.

Disney05

Would love to move to FL. Will probably end up there one day.I'm really starting to hate the cold weather up here. And the traffic on Long Island is insane. I agree moving just for WDW might not be the smartest thing to do. I'm thinking moving far enough away that going there once in a while is still fun. But not so close that I get burnt out on going all the time. Though in my mind right now I'm saying "how can I get burnt out?" :ROFLOL:

brent2124

I live roughly 2 hours away and I love it. It can allow you to take a day trip occasionally or a long weekend getaway. If you visit too much and dont see different thing each time you go it could get a little boring.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It got boring enough, crime got bad enough, and jobs become few enough and paid so little that I moved to the developing world.

So far, so good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom