Live(ish) Trip Report - Celebrating 25 Years of Wedded Bliss in NYC

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
For my convenience (ha ha) I’ve decided to do a live trip report for our upcoming NYC trip. We will be there 5/21 - 5/25. This will be our third trip to the Big Apple since August, 2017; fourth overall.

Most of the people who are likely to follow this trip report already know all about me, so I’ll keep it short on introductions.

Me:
49070738-BDE9-4F30-B66B-3289C26EF45F.jpeg

Mike:
CC82C081-7D28-47CD-B78F-343115292CCB.jpeg

Us:
EDF56B8F-6658-458C-81E6-D1994F06809C.jpeg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
We’ve decided to wing it a lot less this trip, and use this time to do the things we didn’t get around to last year.

Monday looks to be a Lower Manhattan day, as we have tickets for one of the Tenement Museum tours. Weather permitting, I’d like to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and view Lady Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry. (We actually did the full Statue of Liberty tour in 2011, and no offence, but she was much more impressive from the boat.) Dinner at Patsy’s.

Our flight departs Buffalo at the ungodly hour of 5:50 am, so I’m pretty sure we’ll be calling it an early night.

Tuesday is our 25th Anniversary. No definite plans, other than dinner at Smith & Wollensky. This is our play it by ear day. I’m hoping I can convince Mike to walk the full perimeter of Central Park again, although these kinds of things appeal more to me than to him.

We did the carriage ride through Central Park in December, but with this being a momentous anniversary, I’m sure we’ll probably do it again. I mean really, 25 years is a BIG deal.

5A008A1C-1C2D-42CC-BA01-AED9B5050DEA.jpeg

On Wednesday, we plan on queuing for Ellen’s Stardust Diner. The food looks like carp, but the atmosphere looks like fun. Mike will either love it or hate it.

Both times we went to NY last year, Billy Joel was not playing MSG. While we were watching the Jimmy V Classic in December, Mike jokingly suggested that maybe next time we should plan our trip around Billy Joel, rather than hoping that Billy plans his concerts around us.

When he gave me two NY guidebooks for Christmas, I took that to mean that he wanted to go back, and checked out Billy Joel dates that very night. The stars seemed to align, and I booked tickets the next morning.

I’m not a fan. Mike is. I’ll enjoy the concert just because he will. Let’s hope turnabout is fair play, because on Thursday ....

On Thursday, our good friend @NYwdwfan is coming in to spend the day with us. (This is not the turnabout is fair play part. Obviously. 😂) We have lunch booked at Carmine’s where the two of them can eat deep fried rubber bands, while I try not to gag. I expect we’ll have time to walk around a bit to burn off some calories before going to see ... Frozen on Broadway! Can. Not. Wait!

And then Friday is checkout day, although our flight does not leave JFK until almost 11 pm.

The only thing carved in stone is a late lunch at Loi Estiatorio. Take out the olives, and I love Greek food.

Right now, I am doing laundry, as I work all weekend. Mike doesn’t have it so rough. He’s got Blue Jays tickets in a private box tomorrow, and all day Sunday to get his stuff ready.

I haven’t done it yet, but as soon as I hit “post reply”, I’m booking a room in Buffalo for Sunday night. Otherwise, we’ll have to leave here by 3:00 am. At least if we stay in Buffalo, close to the airport, we can probably get 4 hours of sleep. 4 hours vs none? I’ll take it.

Goofyernmost

Congratulations on your 25-year wedding anniversary!! This celebration is more exciting than the royal wedding today! :happy::happy:
Yea, probably has a good chance of already outlasting the royal couple in the throngs of matrimonial righteousness. The royals seem to have a problem when anyone marries outside of the family tree. Mrs. I'll never be king anyway, is pretty used to dealing with disfunctional family, so maybe it has a chance.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
We are, of course, running late.
Not my fault.

I used to think that we were deliberate last minute packers because we didn’t want to unduly stress the dog. Well, the dog is past being stressed out by the sight of the suitcases, and yet Mike is still up there packing.

I loaded all of my stuff in, and then decided that that really wasn’t enough clothes, and threw in another shirt and pair of capris.

Mike on the other hand, is removing two thirds of the clothes he packed.

You will see me wearing certain clothes multiple multiple times over the next five days. Mr. Clotheshorse upstairs, not so much.

NYwdwfan

We are, of course, running late.
Not my fault.

I used to think that we were deliberate last minute packers because we didn’t want to unduly stress the dog. Well, the dog is past being stressed out by the sight of the suitcases, and yet Mike is still up there packing.

I loaded all of my stuff in, and then decided that that really wasn’t enough clothes, and threw in another shirt and pair of capris.

Mike on the other hand, is removing two thirds of the clothes he packed.

You will see me wearing certain clothes multiple multiple times over the next five days. Mr. Clotheshorse upstairs, not so much.
This may come as a shock but we do have multiple, multiple clothing stores in New York. Mike may just be looking for an excuse to get that expletive laden shirt he had his eye on last trip.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
This may come as a shock but we do have multiple, multiple clothing stores in New York. Mike may just be looking for an excuse to get that expletive laden shirt he had his eye on last trip.
He’s like my mother. He packs for three times the trip’s duration. Me, if I folded really carefully, I could fit everything in a large Ziploc freezer bag. 😂

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
First meal of the trip. 🙄

5A7C46E9-0F88-4411-A3B6-51D0B1E1A06E.jpeg

Two Whoppers for $6. Yup, Mike is so there!
D6769063-17DD-4E78-8177-E960AE806B49.jpeg
9394CEDB-80B5-4C05-8675-85D710812FD4.jpeg

I’m not a snob. I can appreciate any hotel/motel room, as long as it’s clean. This may be a little dated, but it’s spotless. And let’s be honest, we’re getting up in just more than four hours.

02AFC2AC-23BF-4F78-BBA4-448BA9BF6F3F.jpeg

And yay! free stuff. You know I have to take it all.
1748F5A4-6EC4-484C-B593-EEF298CE59A5.jpeg

PJ’s on, face washed, teeth brushed.
Catch y’all from the airport. Good night.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sadly, Mike and I were not seated together.
17A and 17D. No biggie.
We’ve been side by side for 25 years, and God willing, another 25 years, so 55 minutes (“wheels up to wheels down”) is not going to kill us.

Also, I enjoyed watching him look out the window. When we fly together, he always lets me have the window seat.

3D1C2063-C708-448C-86E5-650120ADB735.jpeg

Songbird76

We’ve decided to wing it a lot less this trip, and use this time to do the things we didn’t get around to last year.

Monday looks to be a Lower Manhattan day, as we have tickets for one of the Tenement Museum tours. Weather permitting, I’d like to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and view Lady Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry. (We actually did the full Statue of Liberty tour in 2011, and no offence, but she was much more impressive from the boat.) Dinner at Patsy’s.

Our flight departs Buffalo at the ungodly hour of 5:50 am, so I’m pretty sure we’ll be calling it an early night.

Tuesday is our 25th Anniversary. No definite plans, other than dinner at Smith & Wollensky. This is our play it by ear day. I’m hoping I can convince Mike to walk the full perimeter of Central Park again, although these kinds of things appeal more to me than to him.

We did the carriage ride through Central Park in December, but with this being a momentous anniversary, I’m sure we’ll probably do it again. I mean really, 25 years is a BIG deal.

View attachment 284651

On Wednesday, we plan on queuing for Ellen’s Stardust Diner. The food looks like carp, but the atmosphere looks like fun. Mike will either love it or hate it.

Both times we went to NY last year, Billy Joel was not playing MSG. While we were watching the Jimmy V Classic in December, Mike jokingly suggested that maybe next time we should plan our trip around Billy Joel, rather than hoping that Billy plans his concerts around us.

When he gave me two NY guidebooks for Christmas, I took that to mean that he wanted to go back, and checked out Billy Joel dates that very night. The stars seemed to align, and I booked tickets the next morning.

I’m not a fan. Mike is. I’ll enjoy the concert just because he will. Let’s hope turnabout is fair play, because on Thursday ....

On Thursday, our good friend @NYwdwfan is coming in to spend the day with us. (This is not the turnabout is fair play part. Obviously. 😂) We have lunch booked at Carmine’s where the two of them can eat deep fried rubber bands, while I try not to gag. I expect we’ll have time to walk around a bit to burn off some calories before going to see ... Frozen on Broadway! Can. Not. Wait!

And then Friday is checkout day, although our flight does not leave JFK until almost 11 pm.

The only thing carved in stone is a late lunch at Loi Estiatorio. Take out the olives, and I love Greek food.

Right now, I am doing laundry, as I work all weekend. Mike doesn’t have it so rough. He’s got Blue Jays tickets in a private box tomorrow, and all day Sunday to get his stuff ready.

I haven’t done it yet, but as soon as I hit “post reply”, I’m booking a room in Buffalo for Sunday night. Otherwise, we’ll have to leave here by 3:00 am. At least if we stay in Buffalo, close to the airport, we can probably get 4 hours of sleep. 4 hours vs none? I’ll take it.
Ack! I am so slow! I didn't see this until just now. Well, I'm following anyway. I so want to see Frozen on broadway because my cousin did the casting and I love musicals anyway. I hope you love it!! And happy anniversary! 25 years IS a big deal!

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Our room isn’t ready. (Nor did I expect it to be.)

While she didn’t technically say that we could help ourselves to breakfast, she didn’t say that we couldn’t either.

Besides, I’ve been up 5 and a half hours. This is more or less lunch!

0A1C050A-583A-40B8-9529-8121B7B13AD6.jpeg

Who has eggs and eggs? Shrug.
C813205F-D4EF-46E9-B48B-DC0D55E2D233.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom