Live From The Space Stage: A HALYX Story

brb1006

Original Poster
Yesterday, Defunctland uploaded an hour long crowd funded documentary about HALYX (a sci-fi/Star Wars inspired rock band) that only played for the Summer of 1981 at Disneyland (Space Mountain Stage in Tomorrowland). The doc talks about the development and the crews experiences performing. I decided to create a special thread to give more awareness to HALYX.

The documentary is seriously worth a watch for fans of obscure Disney History and people of the early 80s.

brb1006

Original Poster
c01f372798abb02777fb376c78cda26883fa3603.jpg

2123475130046324542s600x600q85.jpg

brb1006

Original Poster
yeah. That was quite sad. By all accounts, she was very talented but never really made it big. And then she eventually died at a young age.
A huge shame, since she had a very decent vocal range. I wonder if @TP2000 or members who grew up during that era remember this?

D.Silentu

This was a little before my time, but as a big Disney fan I can't believe this escaped my attention until now! It slightly brings to mind the band featured at the Mad T Party; live music at Disneyland is sorely missed. Is anyone aware of any Halyx easter eggs that may have emerged over the years?

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but this is the sort of energy Disney needs to bring back -- especially to Galaxy's Edge. Some ridiculousness and humor would soften the edges of canon-obsessed Batuu. Disney used to lean into being corny and I feel like the current crew in imagineering and entertainment is almost embarrassed about this part of Disney's history.

Phroobar

After you've ridden every ride hundreds of times and found every minor detail with in the park, you need live entertainment as a reason to enjoy the park again. It's that random human variable that is missing from the park nowadays. It's the soul of the park. Otherwise a visit is just an exercise in standing in lines and fighting your way through crowds.

brb1006

Original Poster
This was a little before my time, but as a big Disney fan I can't believe this escaped my attention until now! It slightly brings to mind the band featured at the Mad T Party; live music at Disneyland is sorely missed. Is anyone aware of any Halyx easter eggs that may have emerged over the years?
I wonder if the Mad T Party was the spiritual successor to HALYX? However according to rare footage from the documentary, those kids were rocking out!

brb1006

Original Poster
I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but this is the sort of energy Disney needs to bring back -- especially to Galaxy's Edge. Some ridiculousness and humor would soften the edges of canon-obsessed Batuu. Disney used to lean into being corny and I feel like the current crew in imagineering and entertainment is almost embarrassed about this part of Disney's history.
Special mention goes to the kids rocking their heads while the band was rocking out! That's the type of energy that's missing from Disney Parks nowadays.

TP2000

A huge shame, since she had a very decent vocal range. I wonder if @TP2000 or members who grew up during that era remember this?

I haven't had time to watch the documentary yet. But I certainly would have made a summertime visit to Disneyland in '81 and I've tried very hard to warm up the memory banks enough to recall them. But I just don't remember Halyx; and their stage visuals of humans in spandex and aliens playing instruments certainly would have been memorable! 🧐

I do remember Tomorrowland's Space Stage and Tomorrowland Terrace being the hip place to be on summer nights in the Disco and Early Reagan eras. Tomorrowland was where you went after sundown! And entertainment like this gave it that unmistakable feel.

I have a couple house guests this weekend who are, ahem, of a certain age. I am going to bring this up later and see if anyone remembers Halyx! What a fantastic throwback they are!

brb1006

Original Poster
I haven't had time to watch the documentary yet. But I certainly would have made a summertime visit to Disneyland in '81 and I've tried very hard to warm up the memory banks enough to recall them. But I just don't remember Halyx; and their stage visuals of humans in spandex and aliens playing instruments certainly would have been memorable! 🧐

I do remember Tomorrowland's Space Stage and Tomorrowland Terrace being the hip place to be on summer nights in the Disco and Early Reagan eras. Tomorrowland was where you went after sundown! And entertainment like this gave it that unmistakable feel.

I have a couple house guests this weekend who are, ahem, of a certain age. I am going to bring this up later and see if anyone remembers Halyx! What a fantastic throwback they are!
TP2000 when you have the time, please watch the entire thing it's seriously worth it. Maybe you can share more of your thoughts later on in this thread. I love hearing stories from former entertainers of Disneyland especially these guys.

brb1006

Original Poster
After you've ridden every ride hundreds of times and found every minor detail with in the park, you need live entertainment as a reason to enjoy the park again. It's that random human variable that is missing from the park nowadays. It's the soul of the park. Otherwise a visit is just an exercise in standing in lines and fighting your way through crowds.
Disney needs to find a way to make a next generation equivalent to "Kids Of The Kingdom" For those that grew up in the late 70s and early 80s, Kids Of The Kingdom alongside Jack Wagner were the perfect embodiment of Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

TP2000

TP2000 when you have the time, please watch the entire thing it's seriously worth it. Maybe you can share more of your thoughts later on in this thread. I love hearing stories from former entertainers of Disneyland especially these guys.

This past weekend I asked my house guests, all of a certain age and all lived in OC in the early 80's, if they remembered Halyxx and like me they drew a blank. But they agreed that the concept would have been memorable if they did see it. :D

I look forward to watching the documentary later this week!

brb1006

Original Poster
This past weekend I asked my house guests, all of a certain age and all lived in OC in the early 80's, if they remembered Halyxx and like me they drew a blank. But they agreed that the concept would have been memorable if they did see it. :D

I look forward to watching the documentary later this week!
Alright, can't wait to hear your extended thoughts on this after you finally see the whole doc.

Phroobar

I wish they didn't remove the Space Stage theater for Captain EO. I know they created Captain EO and Videopolis to give Disneyland a hip teenager edge. I believe that summer they showed Magic Journeys outside in the Space Stage at night. Too bad they couldn't enclose Videopolis and play Captain EO there and leave the Space Stage alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom