Live Action Rapunzel in the works

erasure fan1

Then I wonder who's been giving Disney all those billions of dollars for all those live action remakes?

It's almost like Disney isn't catering exclusively to your tastes.
It's low hanging fruit for Disney. They can make most of them, comparatively, on the cheap. So even a less than successful Dumbo, still is a win because it made back its budget. And then becomes filler for D+. In my opinion they aren't really making them to anyones taste. They are making them because there is enough built in nostalgia for mediocre movies to have success. And like dessert parties and after hours events, if people are paying, Disney is doing.

General Mayhem

It's low hanging fruit for Disney. They can make most of them, comparatively, on the cheap. So even a less than successful Dumbo, still is a win because it made back its budget. And then becomes filler for D+. In my opinion they aren't really making them to anyones taste. They are making them because there is enough built in nostalgia for mediocre movies to have success. And like dessert parties and after hours events, if people are paying, Disney is doing.
They are literally Iger's answer to Straight to video sequels.

Mrs. Kaz

In the Parks
No
Tangled is my favorite animated Disney film and I wish the originality would return in more frequency to the Disney movies. Recent animated Disney/Pixar films such as Moana, Coco, and now this new upcoming film Onward that looks good they need to focus on new material with new characters. I love Tangled and that story, but the animated film was brilliant and it does not need to be done in live action.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
In 2020, Disney Studios is putting out very few new theatrical movies this year.

Studios
  • Mulan
  • Artemis Fowl
  • Jungle Cruise
  • The One and Only Ivan
I wouldn't even call Mulan a live action remake since it is nothing like a remake. It goes back to the source material of the legend of Mulan and creates a brand new movie out of it.

Artemis Fowl and The One and Only Ivan have all the hallmarks of a Disney Studios failure: a movie based on children/YA book. This is the type of "original material" that haters of remakes and franchises say we need, and yet, they often fail miserably theatrically (cf. The BFG; A Wrinkle in Time).

And Jungle Cruise is all about that IP-park synergy in reverse. Worked for PotC. Failed for HM and Tomorrowland.

So why so few theatrical releases? Disney Plus.

D+
  • Timmy Failure
  • Stargirl
  • Secret Society of Second-Born Royals
  • Magic Camp
  • Dolphin Reef [DisneyNature]
If it weren't for D+, these would have been theatrical releases (or if their focus groups failed, a Disney Channel original movie).

Stargirl and Timmy are more children/YA books turned into movies that probably would have failed financially in theaters. Their production started assuming a theatrical release and got switched to D+. Timmy has generally good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Royals and Camp are new original scripts! The first has a Descendants vibe and the second a Mighty Ducks vibe. Hopefully, they have better production values than a Disney Channel movie.

It's interesting that Dolphin is now a D+ exclusive. The company that makes the yearly to-be-released-on-Earth-Day nature films uses the money made to support ecological initiatives. Disney was distributing their movies under the banner of DisneyNature. I'm sure Disney made a generous donation to make this a D+ exclusive. Given that Disney now owns NatGeo as a featured D+ division, I wonder if this partnering to make DisneyNature films will continue.

Pixar
  • Onward
  • Soul
Disney Animation
  • Raya and the Last Dragon
When people complain of sequels, they often throw in Disney Animation as a culprit, when in fact, Disney Animation rarely makes sequels. It's Pixar that's the king of sequels. But this year, neither studio is doing any sequels or even book adaptations, but instead, three original screenplays.

LSLS

I wouldn't even call Mulan a live action remake since it is nothing like a remake. It goes back to the source material of the legend of Mulan and creates a brand new movie out of it.

Funny enough, that's a big reason I'm excited for it. I want to see completely different takes on the animated movies. There is a lot they could do with Rapunzel that is different from Tangled, so I'm hoping they go more in that direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom