Little Mermaid Ride Adjustments

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
From 'Inside the Magic'

Fan criticism sparks minor makeover for The Little Mermaid ride as Disneyland replaces ’soft serve’ hair and CG animation

Since The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure first debuted at Disney California Adventure in it’s been met with both praise and criticism by Disney fans, excited to finally have a dark ride dedicated to Ariel and friends, but also disappointed by a few of its visual elements.

This week, Disneyland Resort is addressing a pair of those concerns during a temporary closure of the attraction, beginning today and wrapping up Friday.

The Little Mermaid herself is featured throughout the attraction sporting a variety of hairstyles, which appear to sway and float while guests are “under the sea.” But during the scene featuring that famous song, Ariel’s swirly hair style is often misinterpreted by guests as a beehive or likened to a soft serve ice cream cone rather than simply representing hair floating underwater.

Whether it’s realized by guests or not, the controversial hair style is straight out of Disney’s 1989 animated film.

That moment takes place at the beginning of the “Under the Sea” song, when a few fish swim circles around Ariel causing her hair to rise up. It’s one that many fans of the film instantly recognize in the attraction and enjoy seeing represented there, but confuses those who don’t make the connection.

It was Ariel’s lifelike features, including her hair, that Disney touted during previews of the attraction in the park’s Blue Sky Cellar.

But fans have few complains about Ariel’s long, flowing red hair seen in her first appearance in the ride. It’s only the “soft serve” style that’s getting a makeover. (I personally think it looks fine as is and is a fun variation.)

Another widely-criticised element of The Little Mermaid ride has been its use of computer-generated animation in two places, depicting Ariel and Flounder swimming overhead near the beginning of the ride and later showing Ariel’s transformation from having a mermaid tail to legs.

This week these sequences will be replaced by traditional 2D animation, matching the style of the original film.

The Orange County Register quotes Disneyland Resort spokeman Kevin Rafferty Jr. about the ongoing changes:

“Ariel will receive a new, floating hairdo in the ‘Under the Sea’ scene, and two instances of computer-generated animation in the descent and ascent scenes of the attraction will be replaced with animation sequences from Walt Disney Animation Studios, depicting Ariel as guests remember seeing her in the motion picture – the way they know and love her. With every new attraction, we listen to guest feedback and are always looking at the best ways to tell a great story.”

When The Little Mermaid ride opens later this year at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, it will also feature these same updated elements. The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure will reopen at Disney California Adventure on Friday, May 4, 2012.

http://www./2012/04/fan-criticism-s...nd-replaces-soft-serve-hair-and-cg-animation/

jjharvpro

I'm all for this. THOROUGHLY looking forward to our version in WDW. It's clear that it'll be superior overall! Even now, just look at the facade!!

ISTCrew20

These elements were nowhere near as glaringly bad as the high lighting levels and exposed ceiling structure of the entire warehouse. If they could just bring the lighting to the level used in Nemo at Epcot, and the techniques used to mask the ceiling fixtures, also seen in Nemo, it would make the attraction worlds better.

ISTCrew20

These elements were nowhere near as glaringly bad as the high lighting levels and exposed ceiling structure of the entire warehouse. If they could just bring the lighting to the level used in Nemo at Epcot, and the techniques used to mask the ceiling fixtures, also seen in Nemo, it would make the attraction worlds better.

And the ending - but you can't win them all :-/

sponono88

It's only really apparent in the Under the Sea room.. The rest of the ride is quite dark in comparison.

Neverland

Definitely welcome changes. I know the exact moment of the movie that Imagineers were trying to represent with Ariel's soft serve hair, but unfortunately, it wasn't executed in a particularly good way. And the cg animation bugged me too.

The only thing left to fix is the ending (or lack thereof)...

ISTCrew20

It's only really apparent in the Under the Sea room.. The rest of the ride is quite dark in comparison.

Yes, Under the Sea was the most noticeable, but the only scene I remembered being completely immersed was the Ursula scene. All the other ones had elements where I was removed from the story.

sponono88

Yes, Under the Sea was the most noticeable, but the only scene I remembered being completely immersed was the Ursula scene. All the other ones had elements where I was removed from the story.

Thinking about it now the Ursula scene is really the only time in the ride where they used traditional UV backlight like in the old FL dark rides.

Lord Pheonix

wow, really? whats the big deal with a hair style? if this is all people have to complain about with the ride then id say they did a pretty good job. wish i had seen it before it got scaled down.

replacing 3d animation with 2 d? really???????????

majortom1981

hmm

I rode the ride in october. My wife and I only have one complaint about the ride. It ends abruptly. It goes from the ariel getting her voice taken away . to kiss the girl and then over. The way its done seems like they ran out of money to complete the ride.

We did not have anny complaints on the animatronics or anything like that.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster

Lighting levels seem like a very simple thing to adjust. It'll be interesting to see what 'ours' is like when it opens.

Scuttle

Is there any word if the ride will be extended for WDW yet? I am really hoping it is extended by a scene. It seems very short when you watch the videos and doesn't seem to flow very well at all.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is there any word if the ride will be extended for WDW yet? I am really hoping it is extended by a scene. It seems very short when you watch the videos and doesn't seem to flow very well at all.

Except for one random rumor, everything seems to indicate that it will be exactly the same ride layout and same scenes.

wow, really? whats the big deal with a hair style? if this is all people have to complain about with the ride then id say they did a pretty good job. wish i had seen it before it got scaled down.

replacing 3d animation with 2 d? really???????????

no not 3D to 2D ... they are replacing CGI to Hand Drawn Animation... just like The Little Mermaid has always been

devoy1701

I love TDA. We say "jump", they say "how high?" LOL, just kidding.:lol: Sort of...
Seriously though, I'm very glad to hear this news.

wow they listened to us lol :wave:

Both of these are my reaction as well. I'm excited and glad that TDA takes the time to listen to guest/fan feedback and istead of simply brushing it off as unnecessarily harsh criticism and thinking "well they're just never going to be happy," they took the feedback seriously and are making some changes.

And to those of you who have doubted whether or not Disney takes the time to read feedback on social media sites and fan forums...this should be a clear answer for you.

nor'easter

Both of these are my reaction as well. I'm excited and glad that TDA takes the time to listen to guest/fan feedback and istead of simply brushing it off as unnecessarily harsh criticism and thinking "well they're just never going to be happy," they took the feedback seriously and are making some changes.

And to those of you who have doubted whether or not Disney takes the time to read feedback on social media sites and fan forums...this should be a clear answer for you.

You really think so? OK then... FIX THE YETI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom