Little Mermaid on Broadway goes dark in less than a week.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Due to stagehand strike, both the Little Mermaid and Lion King were dark this weekend.

http://disney.go.com/theatre/index.html#news_disneytheatrical_11052007

As of 11:45AM EST Monday, November 12th:
While a strike of the stagecraft employees of the Minskoff and Lunt-Fontanne theatres is currently in progress, this week's performances of THE LITTLE MERMAID and THE LION KING have not been officially cancelled at this time. Please continue to check back for further updates.
Performances of MARY POPPINS are not affected by the work stoppage. If you have purchased tickets to MARY POPPINS, your performance will take place as originally scheduled.
Information for guests holding tickets to THE LION KING and THE LITTLE MERMAID for performances on Nov. 10 and 11:
To obtain a refund of your tickets, please take note of the following information:
*Ticketmaster/Disney on Broadway Phone Orders and Internet Orders: Each customer will receive an automatic credit to their account within 5-7 business days of this performance. Tickets need not be returned.
*Ticketmaster Outlet Orders: Tickets must be returned to the point of purchase.
*Theatre Box Office Purchases: Please return to the theatre box office for a refund. In the event the box office is closed, you may mail your original tickets to:
Nederlander Organization
1450 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10018
Please remember to retain a copy of your tickets for your records.
*Groups: Contact your group leader for more information.
*All Other Purchases: Please contact your point of purchase for their respective refund policy.
Guest Information for MARY POPPINS:
*This weekend's performances of MARY POPPINS are not affected by the work stoppage that is impacting many other Broadway productions. If you have purchased tickets for MARY POPPINS, your performance will take place as originally scheduled, and we look forward to having you join us at the New Amsterdam Theater this weekend!

songbird

such a shame, too. I saw Little Mermaid on the 7th and I absolutely loved it. if the strike lasts a long time I fear some shows that haven't established themselves will go dark permanently.

lightboy

Alright...wanted to stay out of this one...but won't.

I am an active IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) union member. I fully 100% support my brothers in the Local One strike in New York, even though it has nothing to do with me, as I live in Florida. The labor problems don't exist just in NY, but all over. Local One is just strong enough to actually do something about it.

For those of you that don't know what we do...we work blood, sweat, and tears all hours of the day much of the time to put on the high quality entertainment and presentations that the world enjoys on a regular basis. We work HARDLY a 9-5 schedule (never) , sometimes working up to 48 hours straight, rigging, lighting, costuming, designing and building sets, rigging audio equipment...etc etc etc so that the show WILL go on. You think I exaggerate? Welcome to "my" world. Think about it next time you walk into Walt Disney World and who puts on and maintains the world class shows...IATSE members. It's everywhere...just look at the end of EVERY movie you watch...and you'll see the IATSE logo. We work hard so you can be entertained.

Saying that...because of our hard work and dedication to put qualilty shows on around the country, we, as professional theatrical stage employees, do demand that we recieve proper (not over-the-top, but proper) compensation in return...as well as proper care taken to our needs. SERIOUSLY...when is the last time you've heard of a stagehand strike that affected million of dollars? A VERY long time. We don't threaten it often, we take what we are given, and make the show happen. In 121 years, IATSE has NEVER affected Broadway. There MUST be problems.

However...when producers and GREEDY people (this country is full of them) want to take-take-take, and not give any in return to the people that took care of them in the first place...the union steps in. For those of you that do NOT know, our International President did step in to mediate negotiations, made progress, and then walked out to deal with other union business. Upon him leaving, the League of American Theatres and Producers changed their minds, and began bargaining in a regressive manner. IATSE, then authorized a strike.

These negotiations are NOT only about money either, they are about hours of work, staffing needs, etc etc etc. True the arguments in question are based on years-old practices. But it is the skillset of a professional stagehand that is the pricetag. WE make THEM look good.

It is the LATP that will hurt...greed gets someone nowhere. Sometimes people need to do what they need to do to open the world's eyes and get something accomplished. It's occasionally a step back, to step forward. Only way to get ahead in today's society is to open your mouth and say something.

And for those that think I have nothing to lose by supporting them? I just spent hundreds of dollars on "over" face-value tickets for The Little Mermaid, for the end of the month. I would only be able to recieve face value back on them. I have a lot to lose. Do I hope its better by then? Sure. But if not...I support their cause. Life goes on...you'd do the same if you were in their position.

The actors and musicians of these shows support my brothers in New York...perhaps others should as well recognize GREED in its finest.

Read this Article

josh_e_washie

AMEN Brother.

Although I am not (yet) an IATSE member, I too work backstage in pro. regional theatres around the country and I know what you are talking about.

What is happening in New York is historic, and hopefully will make many people stand up and take notice.

It's not that we (backstage folk) want attention - we'll leave that to the actors - we just want credit where credit is due.

Rock on, man!

LudwigVonDrake

I was lucky enough to see "Mary Poppins" on Sunday night and overall it was a great show. I could have done without the dancing statues in "Jolly Holiday" and the toys coming to life in "Temper, Temper", though. Ashley Brown was sensational as Mary Poppins :)

mags11

notice of support

I had tickets for "The Lion King" this past weekend, and the show was cancelled. I was disappointed, but I support this strike. While I am not a stage hand. I work in a high school as a music teacher and direct the pit orchestra for our school musical each year, so I know the value and worth of each musician, actor and stage hand in a performance. Fair compensation is a MUST!!!! I hope the powers that be see this soon.

majortom1981

tickets

I had tickets for this past saturday which were cancelled. I got to see the big apple circus instead which was cool cause all the money goes to helping out kids. Ps I dont support this strike and yes i am on a union ( i think they are selfish)

lightboy

I had tickets for this past saturday which were cancelled. I got to see the big apple circus instead which was cool cause all the money goes to helping out kids. Ps I dont support this strike and yes i am on a union ( i think they are selfish)

On "a" union. What is your basis for not supporting it? What are you claiming they are selfish about?

Freedom of Speech, yes. But please be able to provide a backing statement for one such as "I think they are selfish". Do you even know what they are striking about? That only makes one look ignorant.

Speaking of helping children anyway, now's a good time to mention that Local One did pause their picket line in front of one Broadway theatre, so that a children's charity event would still occur and take place. And all stagehands did it FREE of charge. Still selfish, huh?

Nederlander (one of the theatre groups) actually never notified Local One that the event would take place. But as soon as they found out, they paused their picket line and went to work for the children. It is suspected that Nederlander (Little Mermaid) would have let the event unfold and not happen, then blame Local One for its outcome.

bgraham34

These strikes just stink altogether. I had a friend who came into NY this week to see a few plays and one of them the Little Mermaid. He cut his trip short and went back last night.

BRER STITCH

I think we all remember what happened during the great Springfield strike! :lookaroun

Here is some inspiration for the folks on the picket line:

Come gather round children it's high time ye learned
'bout a hero named Homer and a devil named Burns.

We'll march ‘till we drop the girls and the fellas
we'll fight ‘till the death or else fold like umbrellas.

So we'll march day and night by the big cooling tower
they have the plant but we have the power!

wannab@dis

Fire them all... hire non-union workers at 150% compensation. Get rid of the unions.

They had their place decades ago... but not now. Now, they are just legalized blackmail and extortion rackets. By the way, who wins with unions? The workers, nope... the leaders. Who loses? the workers and the employers.

PKD

Fire them all... hire non-union workers at 150% compensation. Get rid of the unions.

They had their place decades ago... but not now. Now, they are just legalized blackmail and extortion rackets. By the way, who wins with unions? The workers, nope... the leaders. Who loses? the workers and the employers.

You would suggest to fire all the Cast Members that are apart of the Union?

I know that Unions bring up a lot of strong feelings in everyone. I don't always agree with Unions, but they have in the past and still do at times help move labor relations forward. Most benifits we have as Americans in the work place are due to Unions.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

lol at a company offering 150% compensation.... the majority of corporate America doesnt even wanna pay you 70%... let alone 100% of what your worth. Thats why unions are in place. It helps keep things in balance.

lightboy

Unfortunately many people don't understand that entertainment unions hold their place in a completely different league than other unions around the country.

Again, in the lifestyle and work that many of us stage hands, roadies, etc etc etc...have...it's easy to take advantage of the worker. Most of us are freelance through the union. We only work when called upon...when there's a show to happen. Again, they've kept Broadway open for 121 years, and never asked for anything that resulted in a strike until now.

Caliber of shows as well? Many people praise Disney itself for having world class shows, etc etc etc. All of WDW's stage technicians and costumers are represented by the IATSE Local. In fact, many WDW designers, also still hold IATSE (same union striking) or AEA cards in their wallets. 95% of all theme parks in the entire country do NOT have IATSE contracts...and the difference is noticeable. In fact, IATSE actually represents ride and show technicians as well at DISNEYLAND. Yep, the same rides people enjoy year after year.

Do away with your entertainment unions, and IMMEDIATELY, your television, film, and other entertainment bases greatly and drastically reduce in their quality. Not just with Stage Hands, but also Actors Equity Association (AEA), and various musicians unions (by the way ALSO represent many WDW entertainment cast members). You would no longer see world class shows on Broadway. You want the best, you hire the best. There's a reason why Hollywood doesn't operate without unions. Do away with the unions, and you still will be complaining, because then your entertainment isn't as good. There's a reason why the professionals are represented in a Union. To set themselves away from everyone else...who in the end, just can't produce as great of a show.

Does this stink? Yes. I just paid hundreds of dollars for two LM tickets at the end of the month. But would I do the same if I was in that situation? Yep. And if you were in their shoes...doing the kind of work that we do...trying to put food on the table for your family...and greedy producers are trying to pay off their third or fourth mansions, knowing that you just want to keep up and pay for your own small middle-class home...you'd do the same. The entertainment industry as a whole spells G-R-E-E-D.

So why do we do what we do? Why don't we get sick of it and walk away? Because we love what we do, and we'd love to be able to be in a decent financial situation to continue entertaining America. On stage. On convention space. On TV. On film.

wannab@dis

Actually, it would probably be cheaper in the long run and much better for the workers if there wasn't a union involved. I know several companies that will fire people for even talking about a union, but yet they are the most coveted jobs, highest pay, best benefits, etc. The unions DID have a place... not today.

Workers should be held responsible for their work and actions and if they turn in good work, should expect fair pay. If they don't believe it's fair, move on.

lightboy

Bogus...

Unions routinely protect sub-standard employees.

You're right. It is bogus that all of America's top productions have the seal of IATSE. That definitely spells sub-standard if you ask me. :brick:

Unless you work in the entertainment industry, and have a slight clue as to what you're talking about...I kindly ask you to stop being ignorant.

wannab@dis

You're right. It is bogus that all of America's top productions have the seal of IATSE. That definitely spells sub-standard if you ask me. :brick:

Unless you work in the entertainment industry, and have a slight clue as to what you're talking about...I kindly ask you to stop being ignorant.
Really, you should edit your post. It just makes you look bad. Although, you said "kindly" :rolleyes:

A seal? When did a seal mean so much? I have several and the people around me have others. Just because someone pastes a pretty logo of a union doesn't mean all the workers were quality employees. Weed out the sub-standard ones... Of course, unions don't routinely work that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom