Little Mermaid Live

Disneyhead'71

Original Poster
So this was on ABC last night. I thought it had a few issues, mostly technical (pitch and audio mix kind of stuff), but I enjoyed it. I thought it was fun.

That said, it is getting eviscerated in reviews and on Twitter.

I was just wondering if anyone here watched it and what you thought of it?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We have it on the DVR and will watch it at some point in the coming week. I don't know what people expected, but it definitely wasn't advertised as a broadway show with broadway details.... so....

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Barely.
My friend enjoyed it but from the little I saw it was horrible.
I'll stick to the regular animated movie or Voyage of the Little Mermaid if I want it live.
What they wanted to do is compete with NBC's yearly live musicals which I also don't think are that good.

Doug Means

Did you watch The Little Mermaid Live? The push for all things Disney with their commercials, was a little much. It was such a desperate in your face move to advertise.
i'm not sure exactly what you expected. it was exactly what i figured

Roy G. Dis

I watched about ten minutes which consisted of 95% of the animated movie shown in front of a live audience. At the end it switched back to a live performance (I guess?) and then I wondered what I was doing with my life and put college basketball on.

AEfx

I’ve only seen the clips they released on YouTube, I’ll watch the whole thing if it makes it to Hulu.

Reading some of the reviews today I’m kind of stunned that they are singling our Latifah as an amazing performance - shocked actually. She just didn’t have the vocal gravitas for “Poor Unfortunate Souls” - I kept waiting for her to really start belting it out and it never came.

She looked good, the effects were nice, but her voice just wasn’t there.

KikoKea

We watched it while doing other stuff. I thought the sound wasn't great- the music drowned out details of the voices, which made it hard to understand what they were singing, at times, which was annoying. Plus, I thought most of the singers weren't good choices. Like @AEfx noted, Queen Latifah didn't have the voice. Their choices of singers was puzzling. The projections and staging were very nice, though. I expected more "live" portions- but I hadn't paid much attention to the ads for it.

DanielBB8

"A NEW LOW" It was terrible.

1. Should not have any animated excerpts. This is lazy cost cutting. These scenes should be played out.
2. A Live Concert. They should have a live orchestra with staged performances instead.
3. Wasted all the drama. I watched a high school performance of The Little Mermaid that was amazing and 10 times better.
4. Uneven and disappointing. Looks like a theme park performance. Get ready for the Christmas Parades and lip synced Disney pop artists you never heard of.

If this is the new Disney, I want to get off.

eliza61nyc

Also they chose a terrible time to air it.
Did they really think it could compete with The Voice and particularly with This Is Us???
They should have waited until those shows were on a break or air it on say Thursday or Friday.

I thought so too, I thought maybe Sunday evening to give youngin something to watch besides football.

I thought it was just ok. Little mermaid is my least like Disney movie so I went into it with a "meh" attitude.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I thought so too, I thought maybe Sunday evening to give youngin something to watch besides football.

I thought it was just ok. Little mermaid is my least like Disney movie so I went into it with a "meh" attitude.

Little Mermaid is my preschool years. (VHS came out in 1990 and I got it for my 4th b-day) I watched it EVERY SINGLE DAY.
I'm very meh about Disney "live action remakes" so I didn't expect to like it and only watched for a few minutes to know for sure.

Shouldigo12

It was ok. I actually thought Queen Latifah, Prince Eric, and John Stamos did well. gy wasn't an amazing singer but looked he had fun. The only one who was truly bad, surprisingly, was Ariel. She showed almost no emotion on her face, had very little choreography (yes, I know she was in a mermaid tail, but she did some wire stunts early on that I wish had been incorporated more), and her singing was off several times. The worst being the end of Part of Your World. The specials effects were neat, but my gosh, who ever decided to make the fish Muppets is not someone who should be in charge.

AEfx

As the reviews come in, I remain astounded at how over the top the praise for Queen Latifah is. Like, to a ridiculous level. I just didn’t see it in her performance. She was well rehearsed is about the best thing I can say. Her vocals were just unimpressive - the hyperbolic statements being made like she gave the performance of a lifetime are just dumbfounding.

KBLovedDisney

I haven't seen this yet, but with today's influences, I would have rather hoped that the "all star" cast was made up of YouTubers that make awesome music videos like
Peter Hollen or Todrick Hall and then throw Lindsey Stirling in there with her violin and countless others that have done amazing work...

Now I am wondering why this didn't happen.:depressed:

Shouldigo12

We watched it while doing other stuff. I thought the sound wasn't great- the music drowned out details of the voices, which made it hard to understand what they were singing, at times, which was annoying. Plus, I thought most of the singers weren't good choices. Like @AEfx noted, Queen Latifah didn't have the voice. Their choices of singers was puzzling. The projections and staging were very nice, though. I expected more "live" portions- but I hadn't paid much attention to the ads for it.
The choice of singers was mostly just to appeal to the same demographic who would be excited about the anniversary of the Little Mermaid, I think. Not that younger kids don't like the movie too, I just doubt they would be looking forward to the anniversary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom