Little Mermaid and Beasts Castle waterfalls?

ToTBellHop

^Nicely done! A very thorough analysis. :)

I'm especially curious about the Beast waterfall. It looks like they are trying to use forced perspective on it to make it appear higher/bigger than it really is. It will be interesting to see if the final result is convincing.
It'll become less convincing once it breaks in 2013.

ToTBellHop

I think you might be being generous.

Anyone have any idea when the waterfalls at E:E started going down? I don't believe it was even a year.

It was pretty quick. By my visit in June 2006, numerous effects were broken (I've never seen a functional yeti).

It's unfortunate--the Everest waterfalls are actually pretty effective for forced perspective--and it looks horrible when they are off. Who would have thought water effects would be such a problem. The average mall in America manages to keep fountains working......
images
vs.
mkalcohol_adventurelandrum2011ww.jpg

Sigh....we deserve better, Disney.

Pioneer Hall

It was pretty quick. By my visit in June 2006, numerous effects were broken (I've never seen a functional yeti).

It's unfortunate--the Everest waterfalls are actually pretty effective for forced perspective--and it looks horrible when they are off. Who would have thought water effects would be such a problem. The average mall in America manages to keep fountains working......
images
vs.
mkalcohol_adventurelandrum2011ww.jpg

Sigh....we deserve better, Disney.

Just saying that the fountain you have pictured there is my old local mall in NJ. Worked at the Disney Store there for a number of years.

MissM

The average mall in America manages to keep fountains working......
Running a fountain on a closed loop inside a climate-controlled building a bit different from running a fountain outside, in Florida heat/humidity where much gets evaporated and they can't pump more water back into the system due to drought and water restrictions. Not saying all of the problem is that, but it's a big factor. Most of our state has had significant restrictions for year after year now on things like fountains. :shrug:

The Empress Lilly

Running a fountain on a closed loop inside a climate-controlled building a bit different from running a fountain outside, in Florida heat/humidity where much gets evaporated and they can't pump more water back into the system due to drought and water restrictions. Not saying all of the problem is that, but it's a big factor. Most of our state has had significant restrictions for year after year now on things like fountains. :shrug:
All of the fountains at Universal are operational.

Maybe they don't have Florida heat and droughts ten miles down the road. :cool:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FIX THE WATER IN ADVENTURELAND

MissM

Maybe they don't have Florida heat and droughts ten miles down the road.
Or maybe they have a different water source that's exempt from the restrictions or maybe they don't care and just pay the fines. Or maybe that picture was taken during a period where restrictions weren't in place. Or maybe Universal doesn't care and uses grey water where guests can interact with it. Who the freakin' heck knows.

But it remains a fact that there are yearly restrictions on water usage here in Florida. And I didn't say it was the ONLY reason but it IS a major contributing factor to fountains all over Florida.

RSoxNo1

Maybe they don't have Florida heat and droughts ten miles down the road. :cool:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FIX THE WATER IN ADVENTURELAND

Don't pretend that Universal never had operational issues though. In the years leading up to Harry Potter opening they would turn off the water cyclone in Poseidon's Fury to save money.

The Empress Lilly

Or maybe they have a different water source that's exempt from the restrictions or maybe they don't care and just pay the fines. Or maybe that picture was taken during a period where restrictions weren't in place. Or maybe Universal doesn't care and uses grey water where guests can interact with it. Who the freakin' heck knows.

But it remains a fact that there are yearly restrictions on water usage here in Florida. And I didn't say it was the ONLY reason but it IS a major contributing factor to fountains all over Florida.
Oh, but I will immediately take your word that there are water issues in Central Florida. I just don't believe it is the reason why five small fountains in AL are not operational.
Their water usage is but a drop in the ocean compared to the immense water used to irrigate WDW's five golf courses, twenty thousand hotel rooms, two water-guzzling water parks, etc.

The whole of Central Florida has operational fountains, such as the giant Orlando City Hall Fountain - apparantly no water restrictions to run a massive municipal fountain!: http://www.adedesign.com/project.php?id=167

The Empress Lilly

Don't pretend that Universal never had operational issues though. In the years leading up to Harry Potter opening they would turn off the water cyclone in Poseidon's Fury to save money.
I don't like Universal. I think the music is too loud, the colors too bright, the entertainment too tacky and crass. The attractions too focused on thrills and fire and explosions. I dislike Potter too.

That's why it bugs me that this second-rate park is operated better than the premium Disney park. :brick:

Like McDonald's serving better quality products than your local authentic Italian restaurant. :zipit:

BigThunderMatt

That's why it bugs me that this second-rate park is operated better than the premium Disney park.

Like it or not, Potter was built to the level of detail that Disney USED to be known for. Universal is beating Disney at its own game and Disney refuses to admit it.

Half the people I work with try to downplay it. Perhaps I'm wrong for thinking Disney should be held to a higher standard than everyone else in the industry. Perhaps they shouldn't have set their own bar so high and gotten so complacent that they allowed someone else to sneak ahead and steal a little bit of their glory.

Apart from the Dragon Challenge incident, Universal has gotten quite a lot of positive press in the last 2 years and they're looking to only get more.

Disney is plussing Fantasyland for sure...but it needs to up its game a lot more to get back ahead of everyone else.

MissM

Oh, but I will immediately take your word that there are water issues in Central Florida.
You don't have to take my word. You can, oh, I don't know, read or watch the news anytime in the past 10+ years and perhaps hear about drought conditions in the South.

Or, since you're incapble of recognizing that I live in Florida and therefore probably am familiar with the weather here, how about a news article from June 2011?

A severe drought across vast swaths of Florida is wilting crops, sparking wildfires and sinking one of the country's largest lakes to historically low levels.

Even as Florida starts its rainy season -- which in its first week has been bone dry -- showers can only do so much to reverse months of below-normal precipitation. A best-case scenario this summer might only lift the hardest-hit areas from the highest drought rating to one still rated severe.

The South Florida Water Management District, a 16-county area of central and South Florida with 7.7 million residents, recorded rainfall between Oct. 2 and Monday of just under 12.5 inches, nearly 11 inches below average. The period from October through February ranked as the driest such time frame in the district in 80 years.

That's drying out Lake Okeechobee, the backup reservoir for 5 million people, which stood at just 9.81 feet Wednesday, 3.32 feet below normal and approaching its all-time low of 8.82 feet set in July 2007. That drought ended in August 2008 when Tropical Storm Fay lingered over the state for almost a week, dropping 30 inches of rain in some spots.

Susan Sylvester, the water district's director of operations control, said the current problems are compounded by increased evaporation.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9NOIODG0.htm

or

I just don't believe it is the reason why five small fountains in AL are not operational.
And for the THIRD TIME I will say that it's not the ONLY problem but that drought conditions are most likely a contributing factor.

Their water usage is but a drop in the ocean compared to the immense water used to irrigate WDW's five golf courses, twenty thousand hotel rooms, two water-guzzling water parks, etc.
Golf courses and lawns and related use grey and reclaimed water which is not limited. Hotels employ low flow shower heads and other water saving cost measures.

AGAIN, I never said drought was the sole cause, but we have had SERIOUS DROUGHT CONDITIONS in Florida for several years now. To stick your head in the sand and pretend it never happened or that it couldn't be a factor is just mule-headed and needlessly stubborn.

In 2001, drought conditions were so bad they shut down the fountain at Epcot: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=2173&highlight=water+restrictions+fountain

ob1thx1138

You don't have to take my word. You can, oh, I don't know, read or watch the news anytime in the past 10+ years and perhaps hear about drought conditions in the South.

Or, since you're incapble of recognizing that I live in Florida and therefore probably am familiar with the weather here, how about a news article from June 2011?

A severe drought across vast swaths of Florida is wilting crops, sparking wildfires and sinking one of the country's largest lakes to historically low levels.

Even as Florida starts its rainy season -- which in its first week has been bone dry -- showers can only do so much to reverse months of below-normal precipitation. A best-case scenario this summer might only lift the hardest-hit areas from the highest drought rating to one still rated severe.

The South Florida Water Management District, a 16-county area of central and South Florida with 7.7 million residents, recorded rainfall between Oct. 2 and Monday of just under 12.5 inches, nearly 11 inches below average. The period from October through February ranked as the driest such time frame in the district in 80 years.

That's drying out Lake Okeechobee, the backup reservoir for 5 million people, which stood at just 9.81 feet Wednesday, 3.32 feet below normal and approaching its all-time low of 8.82 feet set in July 2007. That drought ended in August 2008 when Tropical Storm Fay lingered over the state for almost a week, dropping 30 inches of rain in some spots.

Susan Sylvester, the water district's director of operations control, said the current problems are compounded by increased evaporation.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9NOIODG0.htm

or

And for the THIRD TIME I will say that it's not the ONLY problem but that drought conditions are most likely a contributing factor.

Golf courses and lawns and related use grey and reclaimed water which is not limited. Hotels employ low flow shower heads and other water saving cost measures.

AGAIN, I never said drought was the sole cause, but we have had SERIOUS DROUGHT CONDITIONS in Florida for several years now. To stick your head in the sand and pretend it never happened or that it couldn't be a factor is just mule-headed and needlessly stubborn.

In 2001, drought conditions were so bad they shut down the fountain at Epcot: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=2173&highlight=water+restrictions+fountain

I understand the drought being an issue, but wasn't it brought up before that there was a change in the regulations for fountains and that the AL Fountains were not up to code and that was one of the reasons they are not being used currently?

NewfieFan

I understand the drought being an issue, but wasn't it brought up before that there was a change in the regulations for fountains and that the AL Fountains were not up to code and that was one of the reasons they are not being used currently?

Yes, I thought I remembered reading that as well! Something to do with the way the water was pumped or filtered (or not filtered)... honestly, I have no idea but I do remember reading about it. Apparently, they would have to completely rebuild the fountains or something!?!

:shrug:

MissM

I don't know. I had merely mentioned in passing that drought could be a factor. (which was apparently as unlikely as Dracula being a factor to a certain person. :rolleyes: ) I do remember reading about problems with the Adventureland fountains but I don't know all the details.

Yes, I thought I remembered reading that as well! Something to do with the way the water was pumped or filtered (or not filtered)... honestly, I have no idea but I do remember reading about it. Apparently, they would have to completely rebuild the fountains or something!?!

:shrug:
I remember reading something too though I don't recall the details. I was merely trying to offer a possible suggestion that could contribute to the problem. :shrug:

Edit to add...
Ah ha! Here is what we probably all remember reading: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4631269&postcount=32

The Empress Lilly

Or, since you're incapble of recognizing that I live in Florida and therefore probably am familiar with the weather here, how about a news article from June 2011
Because you live in Florida and read the local news I will immediately take your word that there are local water issues.

No need for unpleasantries. :wave:

WDWFREAK53

Ok ok...

it's all water under the bridge now...

(or at least there WAS water under the bridge....now it's just a barren dry wasteland.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom