Lion King Show Will it return?

EngineerMom

Original Poster
OK so my absolute favorite show at Disney World is the Lion King.
Different folks will have different favorites, not trying to debate that.

When do you think shows like Lion King, Finding Nemo, Indiana Jones, etc will return?
As Disney expands capacity they are real help for crowds. Something like Indiana Jones has a HUGE theater. Even if they did every other row, etc it would help to pull folks out of the rest of the park.

JoeCamel

OK so my absolute favorite show at Disney World is the Lion King.
Different folks will have different favorites, not trying to debate that.

When do you think shows like Lion King, Finding Nemo, Indiana Jones, etc will return?
As Disney expands capacity they are real help for crowds. Something like Indiana Jones has a HUGE theater. Even if they did every other row, etc it would help to pull folks out of the rest of the park.
Its not the crowds that are the holdup it is the backstage spaces and the fact they dumped all the equity players. I would expect the shows to be gone until mask requirements are lifted.

TrainsOfDisney

The posts that some Indiana Jones Cast posted when they were laid off seemed to indicate the show wasn’t coming back.

They had supposedly been rehearsing a version of Lion King that could play right now but then the entertainment department was massacred.

MrConbon

Kinda weird how Universal has continued to have shows like the Bourne Stuntacular play and all the street performance continuing as usual while Disney has seemingly cut everything. Only show open rn I can think of is Frozen Sing a Long? Seems like it’d be pretty easy to social distance in those massive theaters.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Kinda weird how Universal has continued to have shows like the Bourne Stuntacular play and all the street performance continuing as usual while Disney has seemingly cut everything. Only show open rn I can think of is Frozen Sing a Long? Seems like it’d be pretty easy to social distance in those massive theaters.
A) It’s not “massive” backstage

B) There’s not enough crew left.

peter11435

Large attractions like Rise and Flight of Passage have way more cast members working at any given time than a show like Nemo which has like 15 performers at most?
You are drastically underestimating the number of cast it takes to put on these shows. Folk for example starts with 30 performers and also requires several technicians, stage managers, and other support personnel such as costuming in addition to the dozen or so operations cast required. All together that show requires over 50 employees. And the primary issue with distancing for shows is in their backstage locations. There’s often very little space “behind the curtain”

MrConbon

You are drastically underestimating the number of cast it takes to put on these shows. Folk for example starts with 30 performers and also requires several technicians, stage managers, and other support personnel such as costuming in addition to the dozen or so operations cast required. All together that show requires over 50 employees. And the primary issue with distancing for shows is in their backstage locations. There’s often very little space “behind the curtain”
Okay and my break room at work can technically hold 7 people yet there’s always at least 20 of us at a time since we have usually 60-70 workers in our small facility at once. They can make it work if they wanted to.

mm52200

Okay and my break room at work can technically hold 7 people yet there’s always at least 20 of us at a time since we have usually 60-70 workers in our small facility at once. They can make it work if they wanted to.
Guess what? Disney is severely limiting the number of people allowed in break spaces currently with assigned spots for everyone. Having a cast and crew of 50 breaking all at once in the same small backstage space just isn’t allowed currently. It works in other locations because breaks are staggered. That’s not the case for these shows. Also yes if they wanted to make it work they could but they’ve had since October to bring back Equity performers and shows and essentially haven’t. So as much as we wish it was, it just clearly isn’t a priority currently.

MrConbon

Guess what? Disney is severely limiting the number of people allowed in break spaces currently with assigned spots for everyone. Having a cast and crew of 50 breaking all at once in the same small backstage space just isn’t allowed currently. It works in other locations because breaks are staggered. That’s not the case for these shows. Also yes if they wanted to make it work they could but they’ve had since October to bring back Equity performers and shows and essentially haven’t. So as much as we wish it was, it just clearly isn’t a priority currently.

You seem to have missed the social distancing element out of it...
And Universal is still able to continue their show with tons of performers and nighttime spectacular due to ??? Magic?

TrainsOfDisney

There are ways to have shows, but they cost money. Some would be easier to restage than others. I would think Nemo would be particularly difficult.

FOTLK was rehearsing correct? Or was that just a rumor... I thought it was confirmed but I ain’t going back that far! Ha.

Parker in NYC

Maybe 60-70 of you can circulate and manage to put on your wigs, costumes, makeup and mic packs by the vending machines. That’s magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom