Limiting all guests to 3 FP+ choices per day

coachwnh

Original Poster
We just returned from an excellent Christmas stay in WDW and it was our third time using the magic bands, each time without incident. I am concerned, however, that by our summer trip we will be limited to just a total of three FP+ choices in a single park per day as paper FPs are phased out. It is great starting each day knowing you have three FP+ selections in a park, but its also great being able to pick up paper passes as you go. For example, on Christmas Day, we spent our time in MK and although it was crowded, we were able to pick up multiple passes as well as use or FP+ selections to make it an excellent day! The only issue was in AK during testing. I spoke with three CMs about not being able to get paper passes which limited us to the three FP+ we had. While speaking to a supervisor in the park, he understood our frustration as AP holders and offered us two additional passes of that day (which I never asked for). I just wanted to voice my concern. I have since had several conversations both while there and by phone at home, and it seems at though the new policy will limit all guests, both onsite and offsite, to three passes a day in one park. Personally, I can't see how its possible to maximize your time in any Disney park with only three FPs a day. Does anyone else see how this can really reduce what you can do on a trip? Does anyone else agree or disagree? Part of having a relaxing and enjoyable trip as a Disney vet is having a plan and being able to do multiple attractions in a day. This new policy will kill this.

coachwnh

Original Poster
We just stayed at Pop so only had access to FP+ and went to EPCOT. It was one of the most enjoyable Disney days we've had in a long time and we did everything we wanted to and more. We didn't find it bad at all.
The way the system is set now and even before FP+ started, a guest could go to multiple parks in a single day and get FPs. You could also collect as many FPs as the time allows in a single park. This will no longer be the case. Im not saying you still cant have a great time, but this new policy really cuts back what you can do. We travel to WDW 4-5 times a year and have a pretty idea on how to do things to maximize park time. Im just saying this doesnt help.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We just returned from an excellent Christmas stay in WDW and it was our third time using the magic bands, each time without incident. I am concerned, however, that by our summer trip we will be limited to just a total of three FP+ choices in a single park per day as paper FPs are phased out. It is great starting each day knowing you have three FP+ selections in a park, but its also great being able to pick up paper passes as you go. For example, on Christmas Day, we spent our time in MK and although it was crowded, we were able to pick up multiple passes as well as use or FP+ selections to make it an excellent day! The only issue was in AK during testing. I spoke with three CMs about not being able to get paper passes which limited us to the three FP+ we had. While speaking to a supervisor in the park, he understood our frustration as AP holders and offered us two additional passes of that day (which I never asked for). I just wanted to voice my concern. I have since had several conversations both while there and by phone at home, and it seems at though the new policy will limit all guests, both onsite and offsite, to three passes a day in one park. Personally, I can't see how its possible to maximize your time in any Disney park with only three FPs a day. Does anyone else see how this can really reduce what you can do on a trip? Does anyone else agree or disagree? Part of having a relaxing and enjoyable trip as a Disney vet is having a plan and being able to do multiple attractions in a day. This new policy will kill this.
Bad news for you. By the end of Jan, all on-site guests will be forced to use ONLY the FP+ system (no more legacy FPs for onsite guests).

Not sure how this would impact AP guests yet...but, the writing is on the wall. :p

kelknight84

I've been going to Disney my whole life and have been hundreds of times. And as a ride fanatic (I once spent 8 hours on MIB at Universal on a non-busy day with no breaks, but by golly I can hit 999,999 everytime now lol), Disney is so much more than rides! Take some time to slow down and enjoy the sights and details, and of course hit the rides, but running like crazy all over the place like I used to just doesn't compare to now when I can actually slow down and still experience everything!

JohnD

We just stayed at Pop so only had access to FP+ and went to EPCOT. It was one of the most enjoyable Disney days we've had in a long time and we did everything we wanted to and more. We didn't find it bad at all.

I think it can work at Epcot, particularly if you tour over 2 days. Just split the tiers of Soarin/TT between the two days and pick 4 others, two each day probably mostly in FW. WS is really for browsing and lingering. Even then most pavilions' attractions are shows/movies anyway with the exception of Mexico and Norway.

I think it could also work in AK in just one day with the headliners being Safaris, Everest, and Dinosaur.

I agree that FP+ is more of a problem in HS and particularly MK under the 3 FP+/park/day.

Also a problem if you park hop in a single day. Can only use FP+ in one of the parks.

coachwnh

Original Poster
Bad news for you. By the end of Jan, all on-site guests will be forced to use ONLY the FP+ system (no more legacy FPs for onsite guests).

Not sure how this would impact AP guests yet...but, the writing is on the wall. :p
Our APs our linked to our bands. Getting them isnt a problem. Its only three thats the problem. Using the FP+ and the bands have been very easy, but the limit will stink.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Our APs our linked to our bands. Getting them isnt a problem. Its only three thats the problem. Using the FP+ and the bands have been very easy, but the limit will stink.
This is just my personal suspicion, but I have a feeling that once the legacy FP system is removed, we'll see that 3 a day limit increase. I don't think the tiers at HS and EPCOT is going away though...

The reason why I say this is that as long as legacy FP is still in use, it throws off the FP+ metrics, so they can't adjust and calculate what the true allocation level should be.

I'd be happy with 5 a day...quite happy with that.

Tiers, however...are a different story.

coachwnh

Original Poster
I've been going to Disney my whole life and have been hundreds of times. And as a ride fanatic (I once spent 8 hours on MIB at Universal on a non-busy day with no breaks, but by golly I can hit 999,999 everytime now lol), Disney is so much more than rides! Take some time to slow down and enjoy the sights and details, and of course hit the rides, but running like crazy all over the place like I used to just doesn't compare to now when I can actually slow down and still experience everything!
I think you are totally missing my point. The FP+ choices help you do the parks at a more relaxed pace. We go so often that if we miss a few things i doesnt matter to us. some days we would rather spend at the resort then in a park. Just last week we didnt even use our FP+ selections at HS because the kids wanted to head back to the YC to swim. Same at Thanksgiving. They wanted to use the pool at GF, so we left MK and went back to the resort to relax never using the FP+ selections we picked. Its great not having to worry about long lines or FP availability in the afternoon at those busy times. I really have an issue when you limit me to three passes in one park. Thats all Im saying. Believe me, if you have paid attention to any of my past posts or trip reports you would see we are not running like crazy at Disney. I often make fun of the runners and compare their vacation to the Amazing Race. Additional FP+ selections would make the running around less of an issue then it is for some people.

Last edited:

coachwnh

Original Poster
This is just my personal suspicion, but I have a feeling that once the legacy FP system is removed, we'll see that 3 a day limit increase. I don't think the tiers at HS and EPCOT is going away though...

The reason why I say this is that as long as legacy FP is still in use, it throws off the FP+ metrics, so they can't adjust and calculate what the true allocation level should be.

I'd be happy with 5 a day...quite happy with that.

Tiers, however...are a different story.
After speaking with a supervisor at AK, (Id have to check my trip report, but I think his name was Skylar) he did say that additional FP+ selections for guests staying onsite is something that may happen. This will really impact park hopping as well. We enjoy going to breakfast and starting in one park, them heading back to the resort for a few hours before heading somewhere else at night. Without an old fashion FP to grab in one of those parks, it limits what you can do and see.

Dwarful

I get what you are saying. We have been going to WDW for years and have had APs. We like to get up early, go for a mid day break and then hit the parks in the evening. We can easily use 3 times the number of FP's. I think having only 3 per day and having to keep them in one park will really impact our touring plans.

HouCuseChickie

I see where you're coming from. My friend got back from their trip a couple of days ago, stayed at Pop, and were bound to the 3 FP+ and nothing more for their trip. I know the FP+ they were able to book were helpful, but there were waits around 4 hours on NYE for things like TT and Soarin' and even less popular rides were showing waits in excess of an hour. It still sounds like they got to ride a bunch of things, but I wonder how much more they could have ridden if they could have had a few more FP+. They used a strategy...book their 3 FP+ per day in the afternoon/evening and just wing it with the lower crowds usually seen in the early morning hours. Seems smart, but also seems inferior to the previous FP strategies with the old system

Ultimately, whether you're sticking to 1 park or hopping, you could easily use all of your FP+ before noon if only allotted 3 and then you could spend the remainder of your day waiting on lines you'd normally bypass in favor of a FP...which means fewer attractions during your visit. Fingers crossed that they up the amount of FP+ once testing is officially done.

coachwnh

Original Poster
I get what you are saying. We have been going to WDW for years and have had APs. We like to get up early, go for a mid day break and then hit the parks in the evening. We can easily use 3 times the number of FP's. I think having only 3 per day and having to keep them in one park will really impact our touring plans.
Sounds like you do the same as us. It really makes it relaxing this way. Im not so sure that will be that case anymore.

coachwnh

Original Poster
I see where you're coming from. My friend got back from their trip a couple of days ago, stayed at Pop, and were bound to the 3 FP+ and nothing more for their trip. I know the FP+ they were able to book were helpful, but there were waits around 4 hours on NYE for things like TT and Soarin' and even less popular rides were showing waits in excess of an hour. It still sounds like they got to ride a bunch of things, but I wonder how much more they could have ridden if they could have had a few more FP+. They used a strategy...book their 3 FP+ per day in the afternoon/evening and just wing it with the lower crowds usually seen in the early morning hours. Seems smart, but also seems inferior to the previous FP strategies with the old system

Ultimately, whether you're sticking to 1 park or hopping, you could easily use all of your FP+ before noon if only allotted 3 and then you could spend the remainder of your day waiting on lines you'd normally bypass in favor of a FP...which means fewer attractions during your visit. Fingers crossed that they up the amount of FP+ once testing is officially done.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

John

No one should read in to what FP+ has been up to this point. As pointed out the metrics will change drastically when the system is rolled out resort wide. What ever your experience was your first go around with FP+ will be much different the next time. Will it be worse? better? I have no idea but what I do know is it will be different.

IMO if they do not increase the number of FP's you are allowed I see it going much the ADR's have went....the good ones will go first. Peak season will be extremely tough to score a FP for headliners.

Betsyboo

My only wish is that they'd do something to allow park hopping. Many others have said it. Why am I paying extra for park hopping when I can't take advantage of the FP+ in both? I'm planning now for end of Feb and it's hard to decide if I want to use them in the first park I visit of the day or the park I visit in the evening. We've never had a problem in February with wait times, except Soarin, TSMM and Test Track so those are the attractions I'm using the FP+ to ensure I get to ride. I'm anxious to see how this all works out.

NickC

I think two main things need to change when the FP+ system is rolled out: allow park hopping and vary the number of FP+ selections based on a guests chosen park(s). In other words, instead of making FP+ a daily restriction, make it a per park restriction.

I've made a little mock-up to illustrate how a park hoping option could be to implemented into the current UI:

JmNQrOo.jpg

or
nzanLrg.jpg

On a split day like in the first example, the system could allot 3 FP+ reservations per park, which, in my opinion, is an adequate amount when spending a half day at DAK and DHS, or any park really. So the same 3 FP+ per park rule could apply for splitting days at the other parks too.

When choosing to stay in a single park all day, like in the second example, the system could allot one or two more FP+ reservations based on the park. If staying in MK all day, 5 FP+ reservations seems like an adequate amount. Epcot and DHS could be manageable with 4. DAK seems to be okay staying at 3 for now. Maybe a bonus "entertainment" FP+ could also be allotted, allowing guests to choose a parade or nighttime/fireworks experience as well, without detracting from their attraction experiences like it does now.

Other than those two feature requests, I've really enjoyed using the system over the past few months. Hopefully when the system is rolled out resort wide we'll see something like this implemented.

Rob562

IMO if they do not increase the number of FP's you are allowed I see it going much the ADR's have went....the good ones will go first. Peak season will be extremely tough to score a FP for headliners.

How does *increasing* the number of FP+ every person can make keep the headliners from *not* selling out faster?

-Rob

Betsyboo

I think two main things need to change when the FP+ system is rolled out: allow park hopping and vary the number of FP+ selections based on a guests chosen park(s). In other words, instead of making FP+ a daily restriction, make it a per park restriction.

I've made a little mock-up to illustrate how a park hoping option could be to implemented into the current UI:

JmNQrOo.jpg

or
nzanLrg.jpg

On a split day like in the first example, the system could allot 3 FP+ reservations per park, which, in my opinion, is an adequate amount when spending a half day at DAK and DHS, or any park really. So the same 3 FP+ per park rule could apply for splitting days at the other parks too.

When choosing to stay in a single park all day, like in the second example, the system could allot one or two more FP+ reservations based on the park. If staying in MK all day, 5 FP+ reservations seems like an adequate amount. Epcot and DHS could be manageable with 4. DAK seems to be okay staying at 3 for now. Maybe a bonus "entertainment" FP+ could also be allotted, allowing guests to choose a parade or nighttime/fireworks experience as well, without detracting from their attraction experiences like it does now.

Other than those two feature requests, I've really enjoyed using the system over the past few months. Hopefully when the system is rolled out resort wide we'll see something like this implemented.

LOVE the A.M. P.M. options. That would be helpful.

coachwnh

Original Poster

JmNQrOo.jpg

or
nzanLrg.jpg

Very good thoughts!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom