News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

jt04

This looks a lot like what I thought Turtle Talk with Crush was going to be when it was first rumored - outside of the fact that Turtle Talk is interactive. That Lightning is a wonderfully realized Animatronic really seems to elevate this experience beyond its base as a largely screen-based attraction. It's not life changing, but if the parks need simple diversions (and I believe they do) then this is on the right path. It avoids the pitfalls of Enchanted Tales with Belle's main show but follows in what it does well - granting guests an encounter with a favorite character in elaborate AA form.

I wouldn't object to the parks adding more of this type of Animatronic-based minor-attraction character experience. I'd like it even better if they could merge the Turtle Talk interactivity with an Animatronic. I feel like you could do something wonderful with that at Animal Kingdom, or in Tomorrowland. Granted that, like this, it is clearly marketed as a minor addition and not a major one.

Back in the day they called them C Tickets.

Magic Feather

Review/Info from a Close Friend (just copied and pasted with permission):
LMRA was a cute show. It runs every 20 min at the top of the hour, 20, and 40, cranking people through pretty well. I was surprised when I first walked in that they decided to orient the entire thing along the diagonal of the theater. I feel like this show could run on a tighter loop, as the “trivia” at the beginning felt like stalling. Once the show began, it was really fun. While I loved and appreciated the Mater song, I wish we had some form of Mater present (even if he was still a screen) during the segment. Then the AA comes out (a dang good AA too), and does his thing before they dredge out the villain from the original Cars movie (who they conveniently brought up in the trivia so everyone would not be completely clueless). An odd choice, but one that worked surprisingly well.
While the attraction itself was nice, the area itself felt horribly thrown together. It was clearly a former special events space. There is even a door in the bathrooms that led people into the theater...
All of that said, this is a net positive, and something that, if I was in the area, I would not hesitate to do again. It will function fantastically as something for the under 40” crowd on Sunset as well”

Cmdr_Crimson

Review/Info from a Close Friend (just copied and pasted with permission):
LMRA was a cute show. It runs every 20 min at the top of the hour, 20, and 40, cranking people through pretty well. I was surprised when I first walked in that they decided to orient the entire thing along the diagonal of the theater. I feel like this show could run on a tighter loop, as the “trivia” at the beginning felt like stalling. Once the show began, it was really fun. While I loved and appreciated the Mater song, I wish we had some form of Mater present (even if he was still a screen) during the segment. Then the AA comes out (a dang good AA too), and does his thing before they dredge out the villain from the original Cars movie (who they conveniently brought up in the trivia so everyone would not be completely clueless). An odd choice, but one that worked surprisingly well.
While the attraction itself was nice, the area itself felt horribly thrown together. It was clearly a former special events space. There is even a door in the bathrooms that led people into the theater...
All of that said, this is a net positive, and something that, if I was in the area, I would not hesitate to do again. It will function fantastically as something for the under 40” crowd on Sunset as well”

You know this would work for Re-watchability.....As they have 3 movies under the franchise (Although many want to forget Cars 2). But, even changing the show each time to have Chick Hicks, Francesco Bernulli or Jackson Storm race Lightning and changing it up a bit to 3 different shows I would be all up for that...

I would think that sooner or later will probably see Mater again as many guests would want to see him...

Donaldfan1934

To those here saying that this is a horrible attraction, let’s be honest with ourselves here. We all know that this could’ve been something way more half-a$$ed than what we got. Is it a groundbreaking E-Ticket like RSR? No, but what we do have is a show that has generally exceeded the expectations of what an addition of this scale had the potential to be even with the tough crowd on these forums. So, while it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, the fact that Disney is putting a surprising amount of effort into a relatively small scale experience something we should be appreciated and give us bit of optimism for the future of the parks.

MrPromey

I have to agree with others, based on the videos (and I assume the live experience is better), this seems like a great small-scale addition and exactly what the parks need more of - small scale people eaters offering unique experience and not accompanied by an international marketing campaign to promote.

A little bit of interactivity maybe more Monsters Inc. style than Turtle Talk (to keep it consistent) would have been nice but I'll take this over what this space had been previously, for sure! It would be great if they could come up with something in this style to replace Stich that would just quietly help to add capacity to the MK without drawing more people to the park.

It feels to me that a lot of the people calling this crap are the same ones who have no interest in Enchanted Tales or the Meet Merida or other similar experiences - which is fine - those aren't made for most people old enough to be engaging in conversation on here, either.

I think it is important to note the difference between experiences that you are (or I am) not the target audiences for and things that are actual objective crap (looking at you Disney Junior Dance Party*) and to understand the value that something like this provides to everyone by swallowing guest time in an enjoyable way for them that would otherwise be spent in line in front of you at attractions you want to experience, yourself.

That they did not try to add Fastpass to this tells you what they were shooting for and it looks like a success to me.

*Yeah, this one has the dance party element but it's outside and more of an atmosphere add-on to the otherwise not utilized area - not something people have to wait in line to experience like DJDP and not congesting walking space like what they do in Tomorrowland.

Last edited:

Br’er Rabbit

I saw it today and thought it was okay. I was honestly just confused on like if I was supposed to be thrilled or not? There’s parts where he’s “racing” so you’re watching him sit in place as the screen moves and it felt very disconnected. The seats are just benches so I never felt immersed like I guess I was supposed to be.

halltd

I saw it today and thought it was okay. I was honestly just confused on like if I was supposed to be thrilled or not? There’s parts where he’s “racing” so you’re watching him sit in place as the screen moves and it felt very disconnected. The seats are just benches so I never felt immersed like I guess I was supposed to be.
Did you see Cars 3? He’s on a simulator.....ie: he doesn’t move. Ha ha.

It’s a great addition. Barely any wait, air conditioning, seats, a fun experience, a THEMED dance party outside, an amazing animatronic. The park needed more C ticket attractions. I loved it for what it is....not a replacement for Cars Land (because it’s not).

rioriz

I actually liked the attraction a lot more than i thought i would!

It will do what it was built for, add more footprint on the other side of the park (as much as possible) when all hell breaks loose later this year.

I definitely see this attraction being temporary.....in Disney Speak...( 3-10 years)

matt9112

To those here saying that this is a horrible attraction, let’s be honest with ourselves here. We all know that this could’ve been something way more half-a$$ed than what we got. Is it a groundbreaking E-Ticket like RSR? No, but what we do have is a show that has generally exceeded the expectations of what an addition of this scale had the potential to be even with the tough crowd on these forums. So, while it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, the fact that Disney is putting a surprising amount of effort into a relatively small scale experience something we should be appreciated and give us bit of optimism for the future of the parks.

so because dusney could have made it worse we cant judge it? lets be honest here
THE BUILDING ITS HOUSED IN SHOULDN'T EXSIST.

MrPromey

so because dusney could have made it worse we cant judge it? lets be honest here

You're probably right about the building comment but what's your solution? It had been sitting there pretty much empty for two years. Do you feel it would have been better if they had torn it down and reclaimed it as back stage space?

Kman101

No, it shouldn't ... But it does (and not hard in the future to bulldoze the thing). So they put something in it. In a park that desperately needs more to do. It's fine for now.

The intense reaction to this show is a little much, lol (not from you, just in general)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom