Rumor Light Rail / Tram Link for Disney Springs to TTC?

Lensman

No comment. Aside from it would take in the major destinations and a few resorts too.
My biggest questions on the "major destinations" are:
1. Disney Springs? If so, how to prevent people from parking here for free and heading to the parks.
2. Which parks? AK, DHS, and Epcot are the obvious ones, but how to connect to MK is my big question, assuming the first three are givens... which they might not be? :)
3. For the resorts, I'm wondering how to best serve the "spread out" ones like OKW, SSR, POR, etc.? I guess just serve the main building and peeps would just use the internal bus system to get to the station. I wonder if this could drive down the transportation expense budget for OKW, which has creeped up to $5.7 million in 2018. SSR is $8.9 million in 2018.
4. Regardless, I wonder if the intent is more driven by a desire to cover all current resorts that currently only have bus service to the parks or to serve the resorts that make the most sense given a particular track layout?
5. And I wonder whether the driving force is additional resort-to-park coverage or if there is actually motivation to provider better transportation to Disney Springs?

I know you've hinted at a transfer hub separate from the TTC, but at this point I'm more interested in getting hints about which destinations might be covered vs the path of the track. Wondering if you could hint at that or respond to our guesses? :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
1. Disney Springs? If so, how to prevent people from parking here for free and heading to the parks.
2. Which parks? AK, DHS, and Epcot are the obvious ones, but how to connect to MK is my big question, assuming the first three are givens... which they might not be? :)
3. For the resorts, I'm wondering how to best serve the "spread out" ones like OKW, SSR, POR, etc.? I guess just serve the main building and peeps would just use the internal bus system to get to the station. I wonder if this could drive down the transportation expense budget for OKW, which has creeped up to $5.7 million in 2018. SSR is $8.9 million in 2018.
4. Regardless, I wonder if the intent is more driven by a desire to cover all current resorts that currently only have bus service to the parks or to serve the resorts that make the most sense given a particular track layout?
5. And I wonder whether the driving force is additional resort-to-park coverage or if there is actually motivation to provider better transportation to Disney Springs?

I know you've hinted at a transfer hub separate from the TTC, but at this point I'm more interested in getting hints about which destinations might be covered vs the path of the track. Wondering if you could hint at that or respond to our guesses? :)
All interesting observations. Let me reiterate this is far from happening.

Lensman

Maybe. But there are many complications which may prevent that from happening.
I'd be interested to hear your list! (really)

I've always thought that they'd eventually do it with some kind of inconvenient parking validation system for the shops and restaurants. I mean, they could even do something like have the first 4-6 hours be free.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Perhaps but not necessarily. A system that’s separated from current roads with above grade crossings.

Some of the areas of the proposed route would take means it would have to be aesthetically pleasing, and be able to travel above ground.

Five bucks says they’re looking at something like this: http://www.ultraglobalprt.com/how-it-works/ultra-vehicle/

Totally private roadways... that's either self driving pods or very light rail or AI buses or trams.

Thebolt

The option everyone seems to be overlooking is the Tron Light Sail... quick and energy efficient, it has to be the next gen option to link the parks...
latest

bcoachable

Couldn’t you set a system up based on payments through magic band in order to access ride privileges from disney springs etc? Just adding two cents...

briangaw

For the Disney Springs piece that is easy to solve. They can solve the free parking issue by doing what they do now with buses from the parks to the Springs and vice versa and that is have it available only after a certain time. The Springs station on whatever the system is to be will be passed by and won't be open or stopped at until such and such a time if there are Springs to parks connections.

Touchdown

It’s simple, you have a gate on the gate to the DS station, resort guests get to ride for free, everyone gets to ride for free after 5pm, everyone else has to pay for a ticket (conviently the same price as parking at a park.)

Creathir

It's not a matter of if they will begin to charge for parking at Disney Springs, it's a matter of when.....
People can do this today and just ride the bus. Not sure why a different mode of transportation would change things.

Another option, if it really became a problem, would be a magic band check for resort guests.
That would put a stop to the presumed abuse pretty quick.

peter11435

People can do this today and just ride the bus. Not sure why a different mode of transportation would change things.

Another option, if it really became a problem, would be a magic band check for resort guests.
That would put a stop to the presumed abuse pretty quick.
They can do it but it requires transferring buses since there’s no direct Disney Springs to park transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom