Liberty Square was Florida's Original "Wizarding World"

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
While eating breakfast at The Three Broomsticks earlier this month, something clicked in my brain. Sitting at a low table among the scrapping of wooden chairs, while looking up at the rafters, dingy windows and seeing people walk around with fake beer, I realized that I had just eaten lunch at a similar restaurant a few days ago in another theme park...Liberty Tree Tavern.

"Harry Potter Land"'s imitation of an Old World mystique of century's past had already been built by WED 40 years prior. Tiny shops cluttered with period accurate Knick knacks? That was Old World Antiques long before Ollivanders. A spooky dark ride though a large stone structure? Haunted Mansion still tops Forbidden Journey IMO. An antique steam powered scenic ride? We had The Liberty Belle long before Hogwart's Express. Butter Beer? Well on opening day there was the Tavern Punch and it's back as part of the 50th anniversary celebration.

But who's the literary boy hero in this scenario? Will it was who the Silversmith was named after:

1634491020094.png

And if not Johnny Tremain, what about Ichabod Crane while walking towards the Mansion? His "landing" was the small shop next to the Keelboat dock.

Over time of course, some of those unique elements have been removed. The specialty shops are gone, as are the Fife and Drum corps. And no children are being declared the "sons and daughters of liberty" by the alleged townsfolk, and the cobblestone accents on the sidewalk have been removed, but a lot of classic Disney is still there in places like the Columbia Harbor House and the lobby of The Hall of Presidents.

Next time you're in MK, think about the standard set by the original Imagineers that continues to influence designs of all theme parks to this day.

1634491292226.png

1634491299648.png

1634491473938.png

1634491489422.png

JIMINYCR

Disney was able to set the bar high early on and others had to scramble to come up with theming people would enjoy. After making a Disney trip, most other sites fell far back in comparison. Going to Uni and experiencing the two HP lands, I was pleased with how they had themed the areas and could see many similarities in how it was put together.

celluloid

Great design is great design. Good comparisons to balance a land out. I would say Columbia Harbor House is closer to three Broomsticks. Although I prefer Harbor House for a few reasons.
Potter never got a table Service.

Muppets gave Liberty Square live entertainment again. Even with odd parody placement it shpwed how important that lifeblood is. Something potter really got right to expand the land with keeping a variety of it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Great design is great design. Good comparisons to balance a land out. I would say Columbia Harbor House is closer to three Broomsticks. Although I prefer Harbor House for a few reasons.
Potter never got a table Service.

Muppets gave Liberty Square live entertainment again. Even with odd parody placement it shpwed how important that lifeblood is. Something potter really got right to expand the land with keeping a variety of it.
A travesty that I hope is rectified in the next expansion.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
A travesty that I hope is rectified in the next expansion.

A restaurant in Hogwarts great hall seemed like a no brainer.

I suspect part of the reason UNI isn't big on in-park table service dining is that they want to push CityWalk. When your parks are only open until 6pm on average, there's not a whole lot of time for a leisurely meal. Disney's business strategy is all about "dinner and a show", so people need a place to sit down for dinner after a long day before the fireworks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A restaurant in Hogwarts great hall seemed like a no brainer.

I suspect part of the reason UNI isn't big on in-park table service dining is that they want to push CityWalk. When your parks are only open until 6pm on average, there's not a whole lot of time for a leisurely meal. Disney's business strategy is all about "dinner and a show", so people need a place to sit down for dinner after a long day before the fireworks.
That certainly seems to align with what we experienced on our trip at the beginning of October which was our first trip to US/IOA in 18 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom