News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

DisneyInsider101

Original Poster
The Liberty Square Riverboat will be closing for half of the year for a refurb. This refurb will last from Jan/8/2018 to July/19/2018 Pretty long refurb if you ask me o_O

Last edited:

davis_unoxx

I bet $500 that it will be called "Captain Jack's Riverboat" when it comes back online. And to make it even more magical, you'll have to pay $50 to meet Jack Sparrow! (This is satire, but may become true. Who knows!) On a serious note, I'm glad they're doing a long refurb, seems like we are heading in the right direction last two years for rides that need them badly.

HauntedMansionFLA

I bet $500 that it will be called "Captain Jack's Riverboat" when it comes back online. And to make it even more magical, you'll have to pay $50 to meet Jack Sparrow! (This is satire, but may become true. Who knows!) On a serious note, I'm glad they're doing a long refurb, seems like we are heading in the right direction last two years for rides that need them badly.
There was a rumor a while back that they would dock the boat and drain the river. Bye Bye TS Island and build attractions in that huge space.

DisAl

Looks like we will miss it next trip since the scheduled return is past our trip dates.
The riverboat is always one of our stops because it gives us a nice time to relax for a few minutes. I usually spend most of the time in the back watching the authentic steam engine. If I had a few million to spare I would build one just like it and run it up and down the river in front of our house! :D

Lord Pheonix

to put everyone at ease, a 6 month refurb sound to be the exact time it takes to overhaul a boiler. since it is an actuall steamboat, just on a guide track, it falls under the federal gov boiler laws, which says after so many hours/miles the boilers must be completly dismantled and rebuilt. this is normally associated with trains since those are predominantly used and displayed everywhere, but a boiler is a boiler no matter what its on, and the riverboat is no exception. im not sure of the exact numbers but this is fact. Union Pacific just had both of its mainline steam loco's down for the last year for this exact reason, the 844 and 3985. the idea that people would think they would get rid of the river is unreasonable. ts island, possible, at least as we know it now, but again, highly improbable. this sounds like a required federal overhaul on the riverboat and a refurb on the river scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:

peter11435

to put everyone at ease, a 6 month refurb sound to be the exact time it takes to overhaul a boiler. since it is an actuall steamboat, just on a guide track, it falls under the federal gov boiler laws, which says after so many hours/miles the boilers must be completly dismantled and rebuilt. this is normally associated with trains since those are predominantly used and displayed everywhere, but a boiler is a boiler no matter what its on, and the riverboat is no exception. im not sure of the exact numbers but this is fact. Union Pacific just had both of its mainline steam loco's down for the last year for this exact reason, the 844 and 3985. the idea that people would think they would get rid of the river is ts island, possible, at least as we know it now, but again, highly improbable. this sounds like a required federal overhaul on the riverboat and a refurb on the river scenes.
This is for boiler work.

However at one time the idea of eliminating the island and river was a very real proposal.

Last edited by a moderator:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
to put everyone at ease, a 6 month refurb sound to be the exact time it takes to overhaul a boiler. since it is an actuall steamboat, just on a guide track, it falls under the federal gov boiler laws, which says after so many hours/miles the boilers must be completly dismantled and rebuilt. this is normally associated with trains since those are predominantly used and displayed everywhere, but a boiler is a boiler no matter what its on, and the riverboat is no exception. im not sure of the exact numbers but this is fact. Union Pacific just had both of its mainline steam loco's down for the last year for this exact reason, the 844 and 3985. the idea that people would think they would get rid of the river is retarded. ts island, possible, at least as we know it now, but again, highly improbable. this sounds like a required federal overhaul on the riverboat and a refurb on the river scenes.
It's a shame they don't have a spare boiler just laying around that they could put in place and send the old one out for refurb...

DisAl

This is to install a new boiler. I talk with the engineers at least once every month during my weekly trips and it's rumored to get a brand new boiler. This is really exciting news. I am happy that it's going to get the TLC it needs.
I would think you are correct about a new boiler. The boiler on the riverboat is an industrial type "steam generator" boiler rather than the type on the steam locomotives. I would imagine it would be better to replace it with a new one rather than refurb the old one. Newer boilers are probably more efficient too.

EricsBiscuit

I would think you are correct about a new boiler. The boiler on the riverboat is an industrial type "steam generator" boiler rather than the type on the steam locomotives. I would imagine it would be better to replace it with a new one rather than refurb the old one. Newer boilers are probably more efficient too.
There nothing left of this one. When they do repairs it's all rust so it's hard to weld

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom