Liberty Square Market Seating Area Demolished

Beacon Joe

One aspect that people forget about Disney rides is how tough the rides have to be. Since a few particular installations had wear and tear issues, such as Temple du Peril requiring track replacement in 1999 6 years after opening along with issues in the loop and Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris destroying its original trains in 5 years, WDI has the strictest load requirements in the industry.

That is a great point that I didn't think about.

TrojanUSC

There is also the cost WDI had to pay to use the Toy story IP. Remember the most expensive part of the new Sorin film was flying over WDW and DL. Why? It added costs to the ride but earned the parks money. It is just Hollywood accounting. What did the land actually cost? Who has that infotmation? Jim Hill on his last Universal show said the reason they did get the DC rights was because they wouldn't put up 40 million upfront, in otherwords it would have cost 40 million more in construction costs even though it would not be construction expenses. Disney does not give away it's IP, even to its own subsidiaries.

There are fees and royalties that need to be paid, but it doesn't really work like the way you've described. Also Jim Hill is not the best source for information.

Beacon Joe

TRON use double loading stations/unload stations. Track splits up like Big Thunder Mountain, but there are separate load and unload positions. TRON is not that restrictive... the main issue will be some WDW guests who don't want to bend down or get their legs restrained, like what is happening at Flight of Passage.

Having never ridden Flight of Passage and not really following anything related to Pandora land, what happens when guests cause issues when boarding it? Is this a frequent problem, and does it consistently kill wait times?

I'm really not trying to be snarky, but has there been any word about how well the TRON cycles might be able to accommodate the "larger" guests we see at WDW? Will half the bikes in the train be swapped for the upright TRON seat units they have in Shanghai?

brettf22

Premium Member
To get back on track a bit ... I took this close up through the fencing while the scrim was removed for Dorian. Looks like electrical conduit, possibly a drain or two. On some of the stakes, I can make out something about a wall and something about the corner of a drain. Looks a little more involved than a planters that were there, but who knows.
DB3B5C34-73BB-43AC-AC0D-7EDDEFA031EB.jpeg

seascape

Seascape..... do you think..... one of the reasons Iger wants to use so much IP is so the parks that make money are padding the studios? I hadn’t thought about that angle before.
I don't think it's solely to take profits away fron Parks and Resorts and Consumer products but I am sure the studios charge more than what other parks pay. After all the costs Disney pays to build lands according to many experts here are way too high. It was well publicized that the two most expensive prices paid for the new Sorin ride was the cost of flying over Disneyland and Walt Disney World. It is also a fact that the parks have to pay royalties and I am sure it is not a small penny but it a higher percentage of ticket prices than Six Flags pays DC. Also where the money goes can be different than one might think. It could be Parks and Resorts and Consumer products buy the rights from the Corporation and that some of the money is kept for overhead with the studio getting much less. Acccounting can be very strange in how and where money gets assigned. Of course none of that changes the overall profit of the company, only what the profit is for each division.

Beacon Joe

To get back on track a bit ... I took this close up through the fencing while the scrim was removed for Dorian. Looks like electrical conduit, possibly a drain or two. On some of the stakes, I can make out something about a wall and something about the corner of a drain. Looks a little more involved than a planters that were there, but who knows.
View attachment 406488

That's a high quality guest experience right there, boy.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I know that and the studios usually pay for the temporary meet and greets to promote the movies but I think implying that WDI has to pay to use properties that belong to TWDC is far fetched

It does seem far fetched and maybe it is...but the paying of licensing fees within a company is simply a way to take profits and shift them to a Bahamas based or Luxembourg based subisidary that supposedly owns the IP. Just a way to minimize taxes paid. But it’s really a moot point bc if WDI has to pay $10 million in licensing fees, then TWDC will allocate an extra $10 million on top of what is required to actually build the attraction. Or, at least, they should allocate the extra money.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, December 19, 2019. The new Liberty Square Market seating area is open. The area is protected by a low brick and fenced wall, which keeps guests from cutting through the area while other guests are eating. The area has more seating and umbrella shades. The center of the area has a large tree and planter area. The inside of the fenced brick wall has a larger flat expanse which may serve as additional seating or as a ledge to place bags rather than on the ground.

IMG_2695.JPG

Of course, the birds have returned.

IMG_2696.JPG

Kevin_W

Photo update as of Thursday, December 19, 2019. The new Liberty Square Market seating area is open. The area is protected by a low brick and fenced wall, which keeps guests from cutting through the area while other guests are eating. The area has more seating and umbrella shades. The center of the area has a large tree and planter area. The inside of the fenced brick wall has a larger flat expanse which may serve as additional seating or as a ledge to place bags rather than on the ground.

View attachment 435121

View attachment 435122
Thanks for the photos. That looks really nice! I'm glad there is a path around it, but the brick wall is a nice idea.

jbolen2

View attachment 435121

View attachment 435122

I saw it Wednesday and thought to myself that doesn’t look the same as it use to. I had missed this thread all together about the refresh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom