Levitating Candles in Disneyland HM

leggetinbluesky

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for adding yet another Haunted Mansion thread. At one point (i think early on) in Disneylands Haunted Mansion you look down a hallway and can see candles in a candleholder floating and swaying from side to side.

Is this also a peppers ghost affect or is it more of just straight forward invisible string on a system that makes it move that way?

Also, with the peppers ghost effect, does the internal glass (the one doing the reflecting) need to be reflective or semi-reflective or is normal glass fine?

yensid67

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for adding yet another Haunted Mansion thread. At one point (i think early on) in Disneylands Haunted Mansion you look down a hallway and can see candles in a candleholder floating and swaying from side to side.

Is this also a peppers ghost affect or is it more of just straight forward invisible string on a system that makes it move that way?

Also, with the peppers ghost effect, does the internal glass (the one doing the reflecting) need to be reflective or semi-reflective or is normal glass fine?

Leggit:

If I understand right about the Ghost Effect, I worked for a haunted house in Lynchburg, Virginia and we had this effect(I think). As the groups would take a few steps up so they are looking down on the scene, a funeral scene, There was a wooden box that they are standing behind in the walkway. I was laying inside the box with a light at my feet. When the group was set and watching, the light at my feet would come on slowly and illuminate my body from the feet up, giving it a ghostly effect. My illuminated body would then be reflected onto a LARGE regular glass 'window' that filled the entire viewing area, thus the groups would not be able to see how it was done! I am confident that the Dining Room scene in HM is done this way as well!
Now as far as the candles and chandelier, I won't speculate!

Rob562

The floating candelabra is in the Mansion on both coasts. It's simply hanging on invisible wires. The back of it is also painted black so that it doesn't reflect in the mirror that creates the "endless hallway" effect.

As for the glass panes used in the Peppers' Ghost effect, it's just plain glass, at least in the Ballroom scene. The Hitchhiking Ghosts at the end might be some kind of half-silvered kind.

-Rob

leggetinbluesky

Original Poster
Thanks Rob, I thought that might be the case. I have just been thinking of a few things that could be part of a halloween party. Just been thinking of what type of invisable string could be used to lift a candelbra or something similar as well as a cheap an easy method of getting it to levitate.

I was thinking maybe a dark thin fishing line as my only other time of using invisable string was to levitate a card and i don't think that would be strong enough.

Thrill

The floating candelabra is in the Mansion on both coasts. It's simply hanging on invisible wires. The back of it is also painted black so that it doesn't reflect in the mirror that creates the "endless hallway" effect.

As for the glass panes used in the Peppers' Ghost effect, it's just plain glass, at least in the Ballroom scene. The Hitchhiking Ghosts at the end might be some kind of half-silvered kind.

-Rob

This is the way I understand it. Pepper's Ghost is pretty simple in theory, it's the same thing as when you look out of a window at night and see your reflection. It's just that Disney is using a massive pane of glass. Also, I think that the Hitchhiking Ghosts is a two-way mirror with enough light so that you can see the ghost without compromising the reflection.

Magenta Panther

What I'd like to know is why the candelabra in the WDW mansion doesn't move anymore. Every time I've visited the Mansion in the last 3 years, the candelabra just hangs there in space; no movement, no eerie bobbing up and down. Why?

leggetinbluesky

Original Poster
thanks again

Hi guys,

thanks again, i am actually thinking of incorporating this technique for our wedding reception, well without the spooky eerie atmosphere of it so hopefully it all works out.

We wanted to have it look like candles were floating in the sky which can also make it appear like stars. Any help on pulling this off would be appreciated.

Currently thinking of thin fishing line painted black holding up a clear vase type thing and suspend that from the ceiling or the tree outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom