Let's Talk About World Celebration

Magic Feather

Original Poster
When watching the show inside of the "Epcot Experience" Exhibit at the Odyssey Pavilion, I found myself to be pleasantly surprised with how blunt they were in regards to Epcot's future. While I feel that we all have a good idea as to what will transpire in World Discovery, World Showcase, and World Nature, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty as to World Celebration, so let's clarify some things.
World Celebration will stretch from the park's entrance all the way to showcase Plaza. As of now, it will also encompass Imagination and Odyssey. While the addition of Imagination may seem like an odd, out of the way annex, in reality the new festival center will widen the area leading up to Imagination's entrance, allowing the area to naturally flow towards the pavilion.
Starting with the park's entrance, most, if not all of what was found on Clickbait's other site is accurate. While I often disagree with what they do, it is hard to deny that they do know people. Unfortunately, they have a really low batting average. This will segue into Spaceship Earth with its new "Our Shared Story" tagline that was revealed in the EE and at D23. I personally find the framework to be clever, and a nice way to modify SSE's original intent. Those worried about this opening the door for IP integration have not-unfounded concerns, but, from what I have seen, SSE may be the most tasteful part of this Epcot overhaul. If you lack confidence, remember two things. Firstly this attraction is about storytelling, not the stories themselves, and TWDC considers themselves a "Storytelling" company, so... Also, in EE, a showcase where Disney was unafraid, and almost proud, to show of any and all IP's being integrated into the park (ex. a giant Kevin in the Concept art for the festival center or the heavy emphasis on Moana's mild influence in Journey of Water), but, for the SSE segment, they did not choose to conjure much more than inspirational words and imagery, because its often hard to sell history. Also, I haven't 100% confirmed, but I have strong reason to believe that the concept art floating around with the supposed Moana Manta Ray may not actually be the Moana Manta Ray.
Leaving SSE into Dreamer's Point is where the most valid IP concerns are. For the most of you that selectively ignored concept art, there is literally an Alice in Wonderland Tea Garden in the middle (which is what I heard replaced the Beer Garden, but that may just be a miscommunication). This paired with other nonsense like the Story Tree, Enchanted Woods, and Story Fountain has me slightly concerned for this area, but at least we are getting trees. Starbucks and Character Spot (which I believe to be in World celebration, but has a chance at being classified as world nature) should both be nice, but relatively uninspiring as far as design goes.
I have a feeling this part has been said (maybe even by me), but the two remaining East building will be split between Dining and Merch, with North going to dining and South going to shopping (although both may temporarily move into North for a short spell).
By far, the most interesting part of this project to me is the festival center, as, I believe, this is the return of actually unique architecture to Epcot, likely compensating for a certain "invisible" building. The space under the canopy will likely be for performances, dance parties, etc. and the building itself won't be too kind to vistas in WS, but, hey, I'd say it has more going for it than against it.

Until next Time,
Feather

hpyhnt 1000

A lot to digest here. Thank you, @Magic Feather!

Let the hot takes commence!

World Celebration will stretch from the park's entrance all the way to showcase Plaza. As of now, it will also encompass Imagination and Odyssey. While the addition of Imagination may seem like an odd, out of the way annex, in reality the new festival center will widen the area leading up to Imagination's entrance, allowing the area to naturally flow towards the pavilion.

Sounds reasonable. We'll have to see how they conceive the walkways so it's hopefully not just a bare expanse of concrete around the festival center.

Starting with the park's entrance, most, if not all of what was found on Clickbait's other site is accurate. While I often disagree with what they do, it is hard to deny that they do know people. Unfortunately, they have a really low batting average. This will segue into Spaceship Earth with its new "Our Shared Story" tagline that was revealed in the EE and at D23. I personally find the framework to be clever, and a nice way to modify SSE's original intent.

Agree. No qualms with the Shared Story tagline/re-theme, at least in principle. Makes a lot of sense and can be a good basis for a revamped attraction.

Those worried about this opening the door for IP integration have not-unfounded concerns, but, from what I have seen, SSE may be the most tasteful part of this Epcot overhaul.

Very disappointing to hear this about IP. I'm not saying they can never integrate IP tastefully, but I am saying the only tasteful way to revamp SSE is to keep IP out of it.

If you lack confidence,

Why, yes I do lack confidence, thank you for asking! Have you seen Disney's recent forays in IP storytelling and/or integration? Outside of Pandora's use in AK, I'm struggling to think of a recent use of IP where they've subverted expectations and nailed it. SWL isn't resonating; UP's use in Flights of Wonder is a disaster; Pixar Pier is a mess, and coupled with the Marvel expansion, is undoing all past efforts to give DCA a coherent theme; GotG doesn't belong in Epcot; new Not So Scary and Epcot Forever fireworks are letdowns; the new BatB lounge and future Reflections lodge IP use is questionable at best...

remember two things. Firstly this attraction is about storytelling, not the stories themselves, and TWDC considers themselves a "Storytelling" company, so...

See above regarding Disney's recent "storytelling" endeavors at the parks. But I'm calling it now - Walt Disney AA at an animation table drawing Mickey Mouse in the new version. Actually, would that count as IP integration? I'm strangely conflicted now...

Also, in EE, a showcase where Disney was unafraid, and almost proud, to show of any and all IP's being integrated into the park (ex. a giant Kevin in the Concept art for the festival center or the heavy emphasis on Moana's mild influence in Journey of Water), but, for the SSE segment, they did not choose to conjure much more than inspirational words and imagery, because its often hard to sell history. Also, I haven't 100% confirmed, but I have strong reason to believe that the concept art floating around with the supposed Moana Manta Ray may not actually be the Moana Manta Ray.

I did notice this from the video, and it's the ray of hope (pun!) I have that IP may ultimately be left out of SSE. The lack of characters or sugary narration during the SSE segment, coupled with the music and ending montage of different ethnicities and cultures, struck the right initial tone. OTOH, maybe they just have yet to decide what IP to shoe horn in.

Leaving SSE into Dreamer's Point is where the most valid IP concerns are. For the most of you that selectively ignored concept art, there is literally an Alice in Wonderland Tea Garden in the middle (which is what I heard replaced the Beer Garden, but that may just be a miscommunication).

I was part of that group trying to ignore the Alice looking stuff, but now that you've reminded/confirmed it, what a stupid idea. They couldn't stick that over in MK next to the Teacup ride where it'd make total sense? Or if you want it in Epcot, put in the UK behind the Twinings tea shop. Honestly, this IP nonsense... at least it's not a beer garden anymore (hopefully)?

This paired with other nonsense like the Story Tree, Enchanted Woods, and Story Fountain has me slightly concerned for this area, but at least we are getting trees. Starbucks and Character Spot (which I believe to be in World celebration, but has a chance at being classified as world nature) should both be nice, but relatively uninspiring as far as design goes.

Trees are good but all that other magic story nonsense is dumb. Only saving grace is, if Epcot history is any judge, all that superficial story and magic overlay nonsense will be forgotten within 5 years and we'll "only" end up with some nice landscaping; a classic case of addition through subtraction.

I have a feeling this part has been said (maybe even by me), but the two remaining East building will be split between Dining and Merch, with North going to dining and South going to shopping (although both may temporarily move into North for a short spell).

Nice to see they're keeping with park history with that arrangement! Out of curiosity, any idea where we might expect Guest Relations to end up?

By far, the most interesting part of this project to me is the festival center, as, I believe, this is the return of actually unique architecture to Epcot, likely compensating for a certain "invisible" building. The space under the canopy will likely be for performances, dance parties, etc. and the building itself won't be too kind to vistas in WS, but, hey, I'd say it has more going for it than against it.
Until next Time,
Feather

Yeah, this new festival center isn't un-doing the eyesore that is the Guardians building. We're lucky the current crop of talent wasn't responsible for building EPCOT Center in the 80s or we would have ended up with something like Spacecube Earth as the icon.

I don't mind the idea of the new festival center building, but I do wish it didn't come at the expense of the Communicore buildings. Pity they couldn't be bothered to do more to save/modify the west building. And modern WDI's penchant for disregarding sight lines and proper scaling is both baffling and annoying. Though I'm sure the views from the roof deck during the $200/person fireworks cupcake party will be tremendous.

Haymarket2008

When watching the show inside of the "Epcot Experience" Exhibit at the Odyssey Pavilion, I found myself to be pleasantly surprised with how blunt they were in regards to Epcot's future. While I feel that we all have a good idea as to what will transpire in World Discovery, World Showcase, and World Nature, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty as to World Celebration, so let's clarify some things.
Starting with the park's entrance, most, if not all of what was found on Clickbait's other site is accurate. While I often disagree with what they do, it is hard to deny that they do know people. Unfortunately, they have a really low batting average. This will segue into Spaceship Earth with its new "Our Shared Story" tagline that was revealed in the EE and at D23. I personally find the framework to be clever, and a nice way to modify SSE's original intent. Those worried about this opening the door for IP integration have not-unfounded concerns, but, from what I have seen, SSE may be the most tasteful part of this Epcot overhaul. If you lack confidence, remember two things. Firstly this attraction is about storytelling, not the stories themselves, and TWDC considers themselves a "Storytelling" company, so... Also, in EE, a showcase where Disney was unafraid, and almost proud, to show of any and all IP's being integrated into the park (ex. a giant Kevin in the Concept art for the festival center or the heavy emphasis on Moana's mild influence in Journey of Water), but, for the SSE segment, they did not choose to conjure much more than inspirational words and imagery, because its often hard to sell history. Also, I haven't 100% confirmed, but I have strong reason to believe that the concept art floating around with the supposed Moana Manta Ray may not actually be the Moana Manta Ray.
Leaving SSE into Dreamer's Point is where the most valid IP concerns are. For the most of you that selectively ignored concept art, there is literally an Alice in Wonderland Tea Garden in the middle (which is what I heard replaced the Beer Garden, but that may just be a miscommunication). This paired with other nonsense like the Story Tree, Enchanted Woods, and Story Fountain has me slightly concerned for this area, but at least we are getting trees. Starbucks and Character Spot (which I believe to be in World celebration, but has a chance at being classified as world nature) should both be nice, but relatively uninspiring as far as design goes.

Until next Time,
Feather

Thematically, what does the future of Imagination have to do with Celebration? I’d imagine Figment would be the only logical choice. Not sure how Inside Out would fit into the overarching theme.

techgeek

I agree that the festival center is an interesting space architecturally, but I’ve been wondering exactly what it’s going to be used for... and more personally if it even matters to me.

I presume the idea is to move the classes and up-charge festival events from venues like showplace, odyssey and WoL... which is fine, I guess, but that doesn’t speak to me and I’m unlikely to attend those things. The speculation about performance space is the first ‘purpose’ that is relevant to me. Does anyone have an idea of how this venue really will function in day-to-day park operations?

Timothy_Q

I agree that the festival center is an interesting space architecturally, but I’ve been wondering exactly what it’s going to be used for... and more personally if it even matters to me.

I presume the idea is to move the classes and up-charge festival events from venues like showplace, odyssey and WoL... which is fine, I guess, but that doesn’t speak to me and I’m unlikely to attend those things. The speculation about performance space is the first ‘purpose’ that is relevant to me. Does anyone have an idea of how this venue really will function in day-to-day park operations?
And also, will the rooftop garden ever be open for regular guests just to walk through?

Or will it be strictly a paid experience with a 60+ day reservation required

matt9112

And also, will the rooftop garden ever be open for regular guests just to walk through?

Or will it be strictly a paid experience with a 60+ day reservation required

I think we both already know that answer. What drives this company forward? Money. I hope im wrong its exciting times.

FigmentJedi

Thematically, what does the future of Imagination have to do with Celebration? I’d imagine Figment would be the only logical choice. Not sure how Inside Out would fit into the overarching theme.
Also, Figment and Dreamfinder over Inside Out would probably give them more room to shill multiple brands. Like its a monkey paw solution, but imagine a throwback to the original storyline of Dreamfinder and Figment taking you through different realms of Imagination, but there's cartoon characters making cameos expressing their creativity alongside the two or loading up Literature with references to characters Disney's adapted like modern Small World.

Haymarket2008

Also, Figment and Dreamfinder over Inside Out would probably give them more room to shill multiple brands. Like its a monkey paw solution, but imagine a throwback to the original storyline of Dreamfinder and Figment taking you through different realms of Imagination, but there's cartoon characters making cameos expressing their creativity alongside the two or loading up Literature with references to characters Disney's adapted like modern Small World.

Sounds interesting, I just prefer Figment and Dreamfinder to tell their own story. They are strong enough characters on their own.
And wasn’t there discussion about this Neighborhood being more of a centralized place for all of “Epcot ideals” to flourish? The Odyssey, Imagination, the convention center, Dreamer’s Point and Spaceship Earth have a solid thematic connection there.

TJJohn12

That’s not so far off of some of JII’s concept art. They had Spider-Man (and some other character I now forget) in the literature section in at least one of the original pieces someone posted here a while back.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A tea Garden sounds better then a beer Garden imo.I have Concerns about the Epcot overhaul but I am also excited to see what it would be like.The park did need work done on it.

Obviously you haven't been to a real Biergarten in Germany, its not what we typically have in the US. It's a social gathering place full of food, song, and camaraderie . The object is fun, not to get blitzed and vomit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom