Let's hear about those bags!

sporadic

Original Poster
Curious about what bags / packs you all use and what you like / don't like about them in regards to spending a day at the park toting your gear around. What all did you pack in it? I'll kick it off with what I used last year.

Tamrac Rally 6
Kit:
- Canon 7D & EF-S 17-55, Optech Utility sling for strap
- Tokina 11-16
- 430EX
- Coiled E-TTL cord
- Manfrotto MTT2-P02 Table Top Tripod with Ball Head
- Marumi CPL
- Lenspen
- Spare memory card
- Spare batteries (4x AA's and one extra camera battery)
- Shower cap for a quick rain cover

What I liked:
- Messenger style bag allows great ease of access. At times, I would even leave the coiled TTL cord attached to my camera and pulling the flash out only when needed.
- Back pocket / sleeve great for park maps
- Side pouches great for holding water bottles
- Was just the right size to hold all of my gear and sit in my lap / floor for rides

What I didn't like:
- No real weather protection. Wasn't really an issue for any of the rides, however I did have to use a gift bag one day as a makeshift rain cover.
- Front pouch could be organized better with dedicated card or battery pockets.
- Between my sun hat and sling strap for my camera, I felt like a tangled mess at times.
- I had neck surgery a few years ago (C6-7 fusion) and started getting pains 4 days in. It's the nature of the beast, but I think a backpack would've been easier on me vs a messenger bag.

What I would change:
- Debating on using a backpack for our next trip, but want something light and not something that's going to sweat my back all day. I have a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW as my main pack, but way to bulky for what I want at the parks. The ease of access will be missed.
- Weather protection / rain sleeve. We usually go during the rainy season and this would be a big peace of mind.

ddbowdoin

8974898688_ea8a94f785_b.jpg

(not my image above, too lazy to take my own...)

Billingham Hadley Pro

Pros:
1.) Extremely well made bag in the UK.
2.) Light, yet adequate padding.
3.) Versatile, has an insert that can be taken out so the bag can also be used as a general shoulder bag for class or work.
4.) Class as all hell, screams British

Con's

1.) some think it looks like a "murse"
2.) 265 ... a little pricy
3.) if you wanted stealth, go with the black version. This model tends to say "hey, I have an expensive camera on me".
4.) size is great for rangefinders or small kits (one body and two lenses, 3 smaller primes)

A little something different than all the typical black Chinese made crap out there.

NowInc

I have 2 separate Lowepro bags depending on my mood. Days where I feel I'm going to be doing a lot of different shots..I bring the big one..which is the Flipside 400 AW Backpack .

On days where I am going a bit lighter I use the Slingshot 202 AW .

Both have the weather hood on them, and can hold a tripod. Plus both allow me to access my gear without removing the bag.

Able to fit a D7100 with a Tokina 11-16 f2.8, a Rokinon 8mm Fisheye, a 35mm 1.8 in both bags. I can bring up to 3 more lenses in the backpack if I choose.

Both bags also contain microfiber cloths, basic cleaning kits (blower, rags etc), as well as can fit my 7 inch tablet and phone.

CP_alum08

I also have a flipside, the 300, and really like it for the parks. Big enough to hold a body, 3 or 4 lenses, tripod, and all the other crap, but still small enough to take on rides like space or RnR.

I had a Domke bag when I first started and absolutely loved it. I outgrew it and ended up selling it, but 99% of the time now I don't carry all my gear with me (in the parks or otherwise) so I'm looking into getting one again. I think it was the f-3 bag, not sure off the top of my head.

whoiscliffwang

Im a big sling bag user. I like to sling the bag on my left hip while I carry my camera with a BlackRapid strap on my right hip. I use the Thinktank Retrospective 20 when I don't mind extra gear and I use my Lowepro Nova 190AW when I want to go lighter.

gsrjedi

I use a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20. I used some extra padding to create another compartment so I can fit my NEX-5N with lens, plus 2-3 other lenses. I usually take another couple lenses in pouches and since when I get where I'm going the camera tends to stay on my neck and not go back in the bag until I'm coming home, so I'll stick these other lenses in the bag as well. It has a small front pocket that I use for a lenspen, spare battery, and cleaning wipes.

I also tend to take a backpack with me when I go places. I like to stick my purchases in one of the main sections to keep my hands free and if I think I'll be out late and need the tripod I can stick it in the other section. I use the small compartments for the rocket air, gorilla pod, filters, other stuff I don't need to access often.

Grumpy-Fan

I`ve been using a Canon 2400 shoulder bag and it has served my needs well. I`ve out grown it and by the time of my next trip I will need a new one for sure. I`m kind of interested in the Flipside line; Now just trying to decide which one.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My primary bag is also a Flipside 400AW. I went through a couple of Flipside 300's before it (I tend to be hard on bags) but the gear kept getting bigger and needed more room. I find it great to keep everything all together. I also picked up a larger Kata Bumblebee bag for use on hiking type trips (I've recently gotten obsessed with national parks).

I recently got a Timbukt2 Snoop Camera Messenger for when I'm using only the a7R and looking to go lighter.

sporadic

Original Poster
Great stuff, thanks everyone! I really like the build of the Lowepro bags and am leaning that direction for my next purchase. Am considering the Flipside Sport and Photo Hatchback series. Leaning towards the Hatchback as a more generic pack for ponchos and snacks may be better for us. For those of you with the Flipside 300, doesn't it get hot and sweaty on your back all day? I know my 400 would, but it's a little larger of course.

Clamman73

I have the Slingshot 202 that I used with my Lumix G6 last fall which worked well, but wanted some more room for other things while in Park and I still think I wouldn't mind the two straps of the Flipside, but not sure how much the waist straps would bother me or not...

NowInc

I have the Slingshot 202 that I used with my Lumix G6 last fall which worked well, but wanted some more room for other things while in Park and I still think I wouldn't mind the two straps of the Flipside, but not sure how much the waist straps would bother me or not...

The waist straps are actually padded on the sides...which make them surprisingly comfy and when snug, add support and thus relieving some of the weight on your shoulders.

donsullivan

Premium Member

One of the first things I've always done on the Flipsides is cut the padded waist straps off the bag. I tried leaving them on the 400 for a few weeks when I first got it but they drove me crazy.

maxairmike

A Lowepro Classified 220 Sling. It is large, but a great travel pack as a carry-on to hold all of my kit including my computer and its accessories and then I just pack one of my smaller/more collapsible bags in the checked luggage in case I don't want to carry the 220 bag around at my destination. But really, on both trips I've made with the bag, I didn't switch to the smaller bag I packed. The extra weight doesn't bother me, and it is surprisingly easy to work with when I change glass or swap cards. I even use it every now and then locally. I've taken it on a hike or two as well since it can fit a large water bottle, a few snacks, and bug spray in addition to my 4 lenses and body plus accessories. Of course, I'm just doing rather flat land walking and no climbing or altitude changes, but I still thought it was nice to have. I use it less often in the parks, but it does come with me sometimes.

EDIT: My main local and walk around bag is an older generation Sony bag that adequately handles all 4 lenses, but starts getting crowded if I try to put much more like keys or such in as well.

whoiscliffwang

I am contemplating getting a Lowepro Flipside 400. I saw one in person and I really like all the room and how it can hold a tripod. None of my messenger style bags have that ability. The only thing that concerns me about wearing a Backpack style bag is interference with my Blackrapid Strap. Also back-sweat on a hot, sunny, Florida afternoon is a concern as well. I feel like the messenger style bags provide adequate air circulation. Lol.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I am contemplating getting a Lowepro Flipside 400. I saw one in person and I really like all the room and how it can hold a tripod. None of my messenger style bags have that ability. The only thing that concerns me about wearing a Backpack style bag is interference with my Blackrapid Strap. Also back-sweat on a hot, sunny, Florida afternoon is a concern as well. I feel like the messenger style bags provide adequate air circulation. Lol.

I wear a BlackRapid strap with my Flipside 400 all the time with absolutely no issues at all. Just put the camera on and then the backpack and it's totally fine. The one difference I can see is I do not use the waist straps (cut them off) so it's unclear to me if those might create an issue with the camera hanging by your side if you're using those.

Most of the time I don't find the heat of a backpack an issue but I live in Orlando so I'm used to the heat.

NowInc

Honestly i have never felt a sweating problem while wearing even a fully loaded Flipside 400. The only downside to it is that you will need to adjust how you "handle" yourself. Meaning you have to be more weary of who and what is around you, so that you don't end up bumping into everything and everyone..especially with the tripod attached. Also need a day or so to adjust how you get in and out of rides with it..but again..easily adjustable mannerisms. :)

PhotoDave219

For me? When I'm working, I have a belt system to carry any goodies I want (extra lens, water bottle, snackey-poo) but the only bag I've every worked out of is an old Domke F-2. The cameras are always out, always on the shoulder. I bring what I need and make do.

For storage, I use a think tank rolling case that stays in the trunk - Chained to the trunk. Tripod/monopod/stool/raingear/power invertor/extra clothes/dry shoes are in there too. So essentially, my camera bag is a 2012 Honda Civic EX.

My Disney setup? D7000 w/ 18-105 kit lens and a 70-300. Have a lowepro sideline shooter to keep the extra lens/battery in it. EyeFi card in it to send anything to the phone. Looking to replace that idea with a Fuji X100s.

I try to take a "less is more" approach and I suggest that everyone try it. It allows you to focus on the image and whats in the viewfinder rather than whats in the bag.

BoarderPhreak

I've schlepped a LOT of gear in the parks. In the end, it just wasn't FUN. A DSLR with three heavy zooms and a fast prime, plus a flash, plus all the doohickeys... Yeah, so done with that.

I switched to a digital rangefinder (a Leica) along with its small, fast lenses. A body and four lenses does everything I need; no flash.

I don't care for backpacks as they tend to be larger and heavier and encourage overpacking. They're also impossible to work out of (you have to take them off to get to the contents). As for bags, I prefer smaller shoulder/messenger bags that aren't a huge pain, such as when getting on rides (think SM, EE, etc.). They fit between your legs easily on these rides. As a bonus, they're also light. ;)

My favorites include Think Tank Photo "Retrospective 5" and Wotancraft "Scout" bags. Small, yet very utility-driven. Pockets for everything, highly configurable, etc. I've written reviews on both bags, the Retrospective 5 and Scout. The nice thing about the Scout is that the inner bag can be zipped up and be 100% waterproof (note, not resistant) - so you can get on KRR easy peasy! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom