Trip Report Let's go to Disney World...TONIGHT. Our Spontaneous June Trip Report.

Yep. We decided to go to Disney World and flew there just a few hours later. Craziest thing we've ever done! Let's introduce the cast of the most spontaneous trip we've ever taken!

Your Host...your Ghost Host (ME!)
Jess

And my darling fiance - Bill

This would be our 6th trip to Disney together (once a year every year we've been dating) and our last trip together as a "single" people! We are getting married in just a few months on October 12th! Just a little background about us...

We got engaged in front of Spaceship Earth in 2011. SSE is my absolute favorite ride and I have a total crush on that big beautiful geosphere. It's borderline obsessive. I also enjoy eating lots of food, Ursula the Sea Witch, matching tshirts and I cry a lot. My fiance is not a fan of the heat, a huge fan of sit down ADRs, Winnie the Pooh, The Haunted Mansion and sleeping.

This trip was crazy unexpected for a few reasons...
1 - I had just went to Disney with my mom and sister in March
read all about it here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whos-afraid-of-the-big-bad-spring-break-crowds.863449/

2 - I have plans to go to Disney...then a Disney cruise...and then Disney again in September
read all about THAT here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/its-unofficial-the-13-unofficial-wdwmagic-girls-cruise.816925/

3 - My fiance had just graduated from medical school on June 1st. He started orientation for his surgical residency in Wilkes Barre, Scranton - about 5 hours from our home - on June 19th. Also - Bill was a groomsman in a wedding on the 8th. We were moving on Saturday the 15th. So we really had no time to jet off to Disney. So there go our hopes of a vacation together...destroyed...lost forever...OR SO WE THINK...

So we were starting to pack a few things for the move on Tuesday June 11th. Bill starts talking about how much it sucks that he won't get a vacation this year (my family was going to the beach the week of his orientation so he only got to attend for 2 nights...the arrival and departure) and that once residency starts we won't see each other nearly as much and blah blah blah we should have taken a vacation.

To which I respond - well what are you going to do? (I'm gonna do the best I can...) and he says "We should have gone to Disney." and I say "We still can...but we have so much to do" and Bill says...just call them and see what a room would be for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. So I do and I tell Bill and he goes "Wait...." and comes back 5 minutes later..."Ok book it - our flight leaves at 6:45pm - just wanted to make sure we have flights before we book it."
:eek: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Um ok ok you got it.

AND WITH THAT...we had a 3 night stay at All Start Sports booked with 2 day park hoppers. So what's a girl to do? Pack? Call her parents who are coming to help pack on Friday? Nope - I get online and book some ADRs! This trip we booked all new restaurants - Tonys for dinner, Rose and Crown for Dinner and a surprise ADR at Boma for breakfast on Friday (Bill has been dying to try Boma)

THEN...I started packing.

That's my traveling to Disney swag. I always wear an EPCOT shirt on the plane TO Disney. Usually this one. Getting so excited.

We each packed one bag...drove through Taco Bell...and headed to the airport.

sweetpee_1993

A bunch of cruise girls are planning to go dinner at 1900 Park Fare at GF at night...but I don't know if I'm going to go - I really have my heart set on Wishes from the Top of the World lounge and I wouldn't want to rush through dinner or worse - not get there early enough and it be full by the time WIshes starts. Ugh. First Disney World Problems.

I'll try to text ya when we're on DME on our way from the airport. My flight gets in at 4:50 so I'll be early evening but at the GF so close to you!

What was the verdict on fireworks on arrival night? Are they having them before Night of Joy or are there fireworks during?

plaz10

Original Poster
Loving your TR! Your pictures are great! :)

Thank you for the kind words!

nooooooooo you can't just leave me "hanging!!" .....HURRY BACK! HURRY BACK! HURRY BACK!! and don't forget to update!!!! LOL..............and I thought the same thing when I saw your picture for "John"!! Wow I bet he would freaking love those!!! Yup, John you are "known" wayyyyyyyyyyy to well on this page by a bunch of crazy strangers!

Loved that you cried on RnR which is one of my faves too!! The start always freaks me out then bamm I am jamming UPSIDE DOWN.......oh yeah gotta love it!!!

If I was NOT allergic to pork I would totally hit the Poly for Cpt Hooks!!! That sandwich looked gooooooood!!!

Ok I must know "why" don't you like AK?? I mean just look at the details EVERYWHERE! I'm not an animal fan, but I at least make it to AK for a "half-day".......the "big" rides sort of suck, and I wish EE was back in it's glory, but it still has "something" that each time brings me back. Plus my youngest son loves loves loves animals!!!

After looking at all of your pictures I must have gained 10lbs.....and a cavity! LOL

Ahhh sorry! Just a few more days until I'm home and I'll finish the last day! Gotta get it done before I gotta start the cruise report! John is even stranger in person than he is online!!

RnRC launch is usually one of those smiling from ear to ear moments - but first ride on a spontaneous Disney trip? Apparently brings tears.

I agree that AK's details and theme are fantastic. But I am just not an animal person. At all. I enjoy a few things (mainly Finding Nemo) and Lion King and the Safari...but none of them are better than being able to ride Soarin twice or TSMM twice instead of wasting a morning on AK. I've been there before...I'll go back - but right now...just not a big fan.

Thanks for reading!

I was so excited to see this TR! However now I'm bummed that I'll have to wait 2 weeks until the next installment! I suppose bridal showers are an okay excuse...

I love spontaneous Disney trips! They are truly the best. :cat: Also your food pictures kill me. And by kill, I totally mean I love them!!

I'm sorry about the long break!! I'll be back on Sunday! My bridal shower was Mickey themed does that help? Haha! I looooove food. If you couldn't tell. More to come!!!

AH newbie fun! :D How awesome and nice of you guys to share your one day ticket with him!
All of those desserts had my mouth watering.. :inlove:
Have a great time at home! :)

It was great to share some Disney magic with a newbie! So many great desserts! I just can't pass up sweets in Disney!

plaz10

Original Poster
OMG!!! You took a picture INSIDE the bathroom!! TOO FUNNY. LMAO

Well this was my 2nd time in it - enjoying the Innoventions loop. And when no one was in there - I figured...why not?

Fantastic TR... Thoroughly enjoying the photos and your story. My DW is in the other room... I read your opening piece about how the trip came about... and YELLED TO DW.. listen to this unbelievable thing they did. You are sooo lucky to be able to make this happen.
Good luck on the upcoming wedding and his surgical residency when you get back. The memories of this Disney trip will help carry him through all that hard work.

Thanks for reading! It was a crazy whirlwind few hours but it was so exciting!! Thank you for the kind words - we get married in just 2 months!!!

Ugh, I can't tell you how many times I've been upset with my stomach for not having more room for tasty treats I want to try while down there!!! I also get misty eyed over pretty much everything down there and during these emotional moments I reflect on how magical it is that I appreciate it all every time.

Every other day NOT in Disney...I'm all about trying to make my stomach flat and small. But when in Disney? I wish I had the capacity for all of it. Must eat food lists are necessary. OMG just remembered I've only been making a must eat list for the cruise NOT Disney world!!! TIME TO GET CRACKIN!!

LOVE THIS SPONTANEOUS TRIP REPORT. Well the trip was spontaneous...not the report lol Need to do this sometime (before we have kids like way 5 years in the future)

Oh and you'll be proud. Mike's favorite park is EPCOT. I overheard him talking to our friend how much he loved EPCOT this weekend while we were in line for a ride at Six Flags...I knew I found a right one...talking about another theme park while not in that theme park and saying how amazing EPCOT was an the countries...seriously :inlove:. Figured you would appreciate that.

Anyways back to the trip...Those fish and chips look soooooo yummy from Rose and Crown. Making a mental note I need to eat there sometime. Also that ice cream has booze in it in France? Where the hecks have I been?!?!?! lol.

CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOON. And I hope you have an awesome Bridal Shower!!!! :)

Before having kids seems like a necessity for a spontaneous trip. I hope to do one more before kids!

MIKE...I KNEW I LIKED YOU! Seriously...Bill and I always talk about Disney in other parks. Even just little things...comparisons, food...anything! But let me tell you Jess...you picked a good one!! I think Mike and Bill would get along well! We will have to plan a Disney trip at the same time! We are tentatively planning October 2014 for our 1 year anniversary and my birthday...AND FOOD AND WINE - so I suggest you guys going around then hahaha!

The fish and chips were really good and the tartar sauce (which I really don't like usually) were sooo excellent. Plus it wasn't too expensive so it wouldn't be good if we had the dining plan so that was good!!

SO FREAKING SOON!!! The bridal shower was GREAT! I might post a few pictures on here since it was MICKEY themed!

I'll try to text ya when we're on DME on our way from the airport. My flight gets in at 4:50 so I'll be early evening but at the GF so close to you!

What was the verdict on fireworks on arrival night? Are they having them before Night of Joy or are there fireworks during?

let me know when you arrive - I plan to just chill during the day. I'm still flirting with the idea of buying a ticket for Night of Joy to enjoy MK with lower lines for cheaper price. But then I'd miss dinner at 1900 Park Fare. SOOOO I'm torn. There are no fireworks that evening so I don't have to worry about that.

PartOfYourWorld

Before having kids seems like a necessity for a spontaneous trip. I hope to do one more before kids!

MIKE...I KNEW I LIKED YOU! Seriously...Bill and I always talk about Disney in other parks. Even just little things...comparisons, food...anything! But let me tell you Jess...you picked a good one!! I think Mike and Bill would get along well! We will have to plan a Disney trip at the same time! We are tentatively planning October 2014 for our 1 year anniversary and my birthday...AND FOOD AND WINE - so I suggest you guys going around then hahaha!

The fish and chips were really good and the tartar sauce (which I really don't like usually) were sooo excellent. Plus it wasn't too expensive so it wouldn't be good if we had the dining plan so that was good!!

SO FREAKING SOON!!! The bridal shower was GREAT! I might post a few pictures on here since it was MICKEY themed!

Yes definitely!!!!!

hahaha I think they would get along great as well!!!!!!! We were comparing Disney to Six Flags when we were there, it was like no comparison lets put it at that. We got bored after riding everything in like 7 hours...with Disney that never happens! Right now we are planning on going for our anniversary in May 2014. Maybe you should come then! :p Not sure what's on tap for the rest of 2014...if we use our free annual pass for WDW in May from our wedding then we will definitely be going more than once...I'll keep you posted! :)

Can't freaking wait to meet you soon!!!! :) hahaha we should have created shirts for me, you and @jesemeca saying Jess 1 Jess 2 and Jess 3 just like the Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3 shirts hahaha.

Glad you had a great time at the bridal shower! Saw a few pics you were tagged in on facebook! Wanna see more pictures!!!!

plaz10

Original Poster
Yes definitely!!!!!

hahaha I think they would get along great as well!!!!!!! We were comparing Disney to Six Flags when we were there, it was like no comparison lets put it at that. We got bored after riding everything in like 7 hours...with Disney that never happens! Right now we are planning on going for our anniversary in May 2014. Maybe you should come then! :p Not sure what's on tap for the rest of 2014...if we use our free annual pass for WDW in May from our wedding then we will definitely be going more than once...I'll keep you posted! :)

Can't freaking wait to meet you soon!!!! :) hahaha we should have created shirts for me, you and @jesemeca saying Jess 1 Jess 2 and Jess 3 just like the Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3 shirts hahaha.

Glad you had a great time at the bridal shower! Saw a few pics you were tagged in on facebook! Wanna see more pictures!!!!

I just went to Kennywood - the local theme park in Pittsburgh and definitely referenced Disney a few times "Ugh long line..wish we could grab a fastpass!"

Bill and I change our Disney minds all the time - we want to go at Christmas. No Spring. No Fall. Food and Wine? Flower and Garden? Seriously we change our plans all the time. Right now its set as a one year anniversary thing. But who knows? I'm hoping to squeeze in a December trip this year too. Which will probably amount to nothing haha.

JESS 1, JESS 2, JESS 3! I love it. We HAVE to get a "Jess" picture on the cruise and at the World! Love it.

Loved reading about your trip. I love to plan but think it would be so awesome if hubby just said "lets go".

Thanks so much! I'm FINALLY gonna finish it! :)

plaz10

Original Poster
June 14th - Snap back to reality...

Woke up a bit later - packed up to the best of our groggy ability and headed out to the buses. I believe an AK bus came first...we'll take it. As soon as we got off - we looked for an AKL bus and it happened to be sitting there waiting for us. Score.

Off to AKL for breakfast at Boma! A first for us! We were there early so we shopped around and enjoyed the lobby.

Really cute shirt.

As much as I dislike animals and Animal Kingdom...I'm completely infatuated with Animal Kingdom Lodge. The smallest of details are outstanding. I'm amazed by the amount of work that goes into making sure the lamps have legit african markings and the desks have animals carved into them - it's a gorgeous lobby regardless of details and most people probably don't notice/care that the lamps have carvings on them but Disney goes the extra mile here. Kind of fell in love with this resort. Opposites do attract.

plaz10

Original Poster

Time for breakfast! Overall not entirely impressed with the atmosphere. Nice and pretty but not astounding.

Oatmeal/Quinoa station

Classic breakfast items

Here's Bill's plate - he was the one crazy excited to try new foods

Here's my plate.

Isn't that food you can get at ANY buffet in Disney? Yes...yes it is. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food...but I'll go to Boma for the hubs to be. He can eat his stuff and I can eat mine.

Here's my 2nd plate

I LOVE COLD CEREAL. There have been days when I'm home and Bill is at work all day and I eat cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't even care. I'm currently on a Chocolate Chex kick. YUM!

Boma - do I feel it was worth the money for me? No. Do I feel it was worth the money for Bill? Yes. Well 1 out of 2 aint bad! I worry about eating dinner here as I may not have as many average choices as breakfast. So this also counted as my "I've ate at Boma - cross it off my Disney restaurant list"

plaz10

Original Poster
Back to All Star Sports. We packed up our luggage and parked on a bench outside waiting for UNmagical express. Bill was the look out and I went shopping!

Sweet Lord these are delicious. But have you seen that calorie content? I only eat that poorly at Disney - I can't afford to eat it at home too! I'll never fit in my wedding dress at this rate...

I bought this sticker on my trip in September and I still havent put it on my car. #lazy

Me. No. Likey.

We headed to MCO and checked our flight status - DELAYED. like 3 hours. Well fudgeeeeee. Normally we'd grab a snack at Burger King and chill. First time we decided to actually check out the whole airport (not just the Disney store). THANK GOD WE DID

OK you're probably all thinking "what's so great about mediocre chain chinese food?" Well...I used to work at a Panda Express. In a mall. During one summer when I lived with Bill in Pittsburgh. Then a few years later - it closed. So it's a nostalgia thing. And a delicious thing.

Bill and I decided to check out the Universal store

I really loved Despicable Me

If I didn't have a thousand Disney mugs (and I never drink coffee...) I'd buy this

I just love that phrase and all it entails

WANDS. Ok super cool to see them. Snape was my fav.

But honestly...I don't know what I'd do with a wand. a $30 wand at that. But I'd be buying Snapes if I had the choice.

Had to take a picture with my LEAST favorite Disney princess

For reals? Your voice is annoying.

Headless Jasmine. Super creepy

While at home on the couch...I wish my biggest problem was my inability to juggle large amounts of Disney rice krispie treats.

After another hour or 2 of hanging out in the airport - we finally boarded our flight. Uneventful. Got home late and tried to pack for a few hours but we were just exhausted. But we just kept saying how happy we were to have taken the trip. It was wonderful to be together...just us...with no wedding drama, no moving drama, no residency drama...just us. AND we were able to keep up with our 1 trip to Disney every year we've been dating!

Up Next: A few final thoughts and forgotten photos

plaz10

Original Poster

Unimpressed with flight delays.

Those were some iPhone pics that I forgot about until the end.

A few final thoughts...

Resort - All Star Sports was no better/worse than Pop. Great for a spontaneous trip when you only have 2 days in the parks and you're basically just sleeping and showering at a resort. The food court was nice (although currently being refurbed so I'm sure it will be better) and the bus system was no better or worse than anywhere else but DEAR LORD THE HEAT that just blankets you while you wait for your bus. A little shade, Disney...please?

Food - All of our ADRs were good but not "CANNOT WAIT TO EAT THERE AGAIN" good. I can definitely see us hitting up Tonys and R&C again in life (R&C over Tonys) but not within the next few trips. We aren't big breakfast people so Boma will probably not be repeated for quite some time - there are a lot more breakfast places to try first!

Crowds - As per usual...all can be accomplished with early mornings/late evenings. A nap in the middle of the day helps the crankiness stay away. It was quite crowded but nothing we couldn't handle.

Weather - beautiful/no rain but OMG was it hot. No wonder we never go in June anymore. It was so very hot! Now that time is a better friend to us than it was in college - I see trips from September to May only.

Spontaneity - I HIGHLY recommend it. It was so exciting and nerve racking but so fun! And as a self appointed Disney World expert - it didn't take long to find ADRs or figure out which parks for which days. SEE - ALL THAT DISNEY RESEARCH I DO HAS PAID OFF! Hahaha!

Well. I sit here 18 days out from Disney World - then a 4 day Disney Cruise - then 3 days at Disney. Can't wait! See ya real soon!!

TheMouseFan

Great report! You should definitely try Boma for dinner if Bill is adventurous. I'm a pretty picky eater and there was plenty of plain food that I enjoyed! I have to say though, I didn't think the zebra domes were as great as everyone else thinks they are.:oops: Have fun on the next trip!

FlaggNL

Thanks for the marvelous report. Wish I could do a spontaniously trip to WDW.... although we did it to DLP once and it was great fun, to come home and say hey honey I booked us a trip to DLP! Best thing in the world!

plaz10

Original Poster
Great report! You should definitely try Boma for dinner if Bill is adventurous. I'm a pretty picky eater and there was plenty of plain food that I enjoyed! I have to say though, I didn't think the zebra domes were as great as everyone else thinks they are.:oops: Have fun on the next trip!

I think Boma is low on our list of dinners to try in the future but I'm sure we will at some point. I do love Sanaa so maybe there would be more on the buffet than I think! We've had Zebra Domes at the Mara - Bill really loved them while I found them just OK. Now the oreo Bon Bons that used to be at Cape May and now sold in their quick service? FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for the kind words!

Thanks for the marvelous report. Wish I could do a spontaniously trip to WDW.... although we did it to DLP once and it was great fun, to come home and say hey honey I booked us a trip to DLP! Best thing in the world!

DLP! Even more crazy! Thats awesome! I do hope to do another somewhat spontaneous trip before kids - but who knows! Thanks for reading!

fractal

Love the report - and the "drop everything and let's go" attitude!

I really enjoyed all your views and reviews. I've never been to Boma, and I agree with you about AKL ( but not AK ).:)

Have fun on the girls cruise. I'm looking forward to all those reports and pictures!

sweetpee_1993

Well, I'm not gonna say I'm sad it's over because...well...that means I will be seeing you really soon!!!

Isn't the stuff at the Uni store in the airport neat??? We were totally impressed by it last September. Never been to Uni but judging by the merch and the theming in the airport store, I'd like to go sometime. ;)

So glad you and Bill were able to pick up and have a spontaneous getaway. Y'all needed it. Keep hanging in there. All the wedding, traveling, residency, moving, etc. will all come and go and they'll be a distant memory to look back on. It's the fun you have along the way that sticks with ya most. ;)

And I loved your missed pics inserted at the end. I always find missed pics at the end of a TR and think "Crap!" I almost never post them. Now, I think I'll make missed pics my closing segment because, ya know, there's some things you just shouldn't leave out and they keep the fun going. That's cool all on it's own!

So pumped! A week from tonight we'll have already met! In person!!!!! I can't wait!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom