Let the job hunt begin...

AliciaLuvzDizne

MichRX7 said:
We will probably do all the heavy lifting ourselves. I look at this as a time to examine the junk we've built-up over the years and get rid of it. Super-Fall cleaning sale, lol Plus as many times as I've helped her relatives move stuff around here they can help me load up a big huge truck full of junk.

We are selling our Airstream and Conversion van together (guy flying in from Rhode Island to drive it all home) so we will only take one car down there with us. I expect we'll car shop immediately after our arrival since my 94 RX7 ain't gonna fit the whole family into two seats. :lol: Since I'm working from home and my wife doesn't have a job down there (yet) this gives us a small window of time to find the right vehicle.

We need friends down in Orlando, so any of you with kids around our age, we promise to be nice and polite! :lookaroun

Here are our ages Wife: X1 (age not given), Me: 37, Stepson: 15, Son #1: 5, Son #2: 4.

Yes, my wife's a cradle robber (shhhh). Second, we would consider an arranged marriage for my stepson who is a straight-a student given your daughter is part of an extremely wealthy family with "old money". Ok...I've had too much coffee this morning, this two week notice thing is a real drag...
haha way to give away her age ;)

im getting so excited for you!! makes it seem sooo possible for me :D hehe

moving stinks :( im in college so i move twice a year yuk :( lol

spr0m

My kids are 4 & 2 the wife and I are both 35. I thought of doing a move myself but once I get there I have to unload by myself :( at least you have a 15 yo . If you're going the do it yourself check out ABF upack they drop a trailer at your place and you pack it they pick it up and drive it there and drop it at the new place. They were in the same ballpark as Uhaul Ryder etc and you don't have to pay for gas and drive a truck that far. Does anyone know it there are any Asian markets in the Orlando area ? My wife is asian and insists on getting hard to find veggies and other stuff to eat here in NJ we have several.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hmm...I'm not sure I trust a place to not drive my car around after I leave, lol... :)

When are your wife and kids showing up? It's soon isn't it? I'd be going insane by myself. Probably why you are spending so much time on these forums. :lol:

spr0m

I'm still in NJ until 8/13. I've got tons of time to kill my replacement doesn't show until next week and they don't want me working on anything new so I sit here in my office and surf the net everyday :). My wife and kids are coming down in time for the Halloween party in early october hopefully. As far as being by myself for 6 weeks I'll get by :) there's lots of fishing and golfing to do :) and I have tons of male family members (that like fishing & golf ) within a 2-3 hour drive that are offering to keep me company on weekends:)

spr0m

I will miss playing my little ones everyday though for a few weeks :( But I setup the video conferencing stuff on the home pc and my laptop so I can see them everyday at least :)

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Gotta love technology... :)

Now tell your Dad I'm a long lost cousin so I can get a nice plasma from Panasonic as a apartment warming gift. :lol:

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just a quick update. Last friday was my last day at my old job. I start my new job Monday, but do not have a set "you must be in Florida" time. So, we will be staying here until the house sells (hopefully sooner rather than later).

WDW Here comes the Ewles Family! :lol:

MichRX7 said:
Just a quick update. Last friday was my last day at my old job. I start my new job Monday, but do not have a set "you must be in Florida" time. So, we will be staying here until the house sells (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Good luck! I am off to Mexico today, with the new boss to visit the new job this week. I return there next week to get set up with a place and all that stuff. I make my final move sometime in September. I hope I can get my house ready to sell by then. I wish you all the best in the sale of you current house. After I finish my Mexico rotation, maybe I will seriously look at moving to Florida.

tigntink

Hi MichRX7

MichRX7 said:

Congrats....hope the new job goes well!

Still no job news for my hubby. So I have a couple of questions for you. How did you overcome the out of state issue? Did you put on your resume, "no relocation assistance needed"....and where? And you said you would call too?

We're considering changing my cel number to a 407 area code for employers to call him back on.....what do you think?

The itch is so bad.....we can't WAIT for our vacation to WDW in October but I know I'm not going to want to come back home. We hoped we would find something by this trip........cause I'd hate to move around the holidays a few months later if a job comes later than sooner. But I guess we'll take what we can get :p

Let us know when you're ON the move :wave:

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's a text copy of my cover letter that I included with each resume I sent out:

July 5th, 2004

Digi-Technologies
Orlando, FL

To Whom It May Concern:

I am currently looking to acquire a web development position with a growing company. My family and I have decided to relocate ourselves to the Orlando area and your company matches my current skill set. I know many Orlando employers regard someone looking to relocate as a negative, but please do not let this sway your decision as I am confident my self-motivated aggressive attitude towards my job would be a positive to your company. Also, my family and I are not necessarily looking for help financially to relocate. We are more than prepared to handle the move on our own.

I have been responsible for developing the online presence for numerous companies since 1995. I am currently the Senior Developer for Michigan’s largest and oldest web hosting company. My responsibilities require me to assist in the sales process, define customer requirements, price their project based on development hours, develop a project specification, timeline, design, code, test, release, and train the customer to operate their new project.

I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Cordially,

M.E.

tigntink

Thanks!

You've been more than helpful to us and I greatly appreciate all the advice and examples you've given in this and in previous posts.

I'll be sure my hubby reads this tonight!!! If he likes it as much as I do....do you mind if he "borrows" some of your phrases to tweak into his own? I'll make sure he doesn't "borrow" your credentials though :lol:

Thanks again....you're the best!! :sohappy:

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
No problem, just change the initials at the bottom of the page. (and no, this is not Michael Eisner, just an unfortunate coincidence) :D

SBW

MichRX7 (and others that have moved recently moved down),

How long have you been there now, is it what you expected, any advice to people looking into making the move.

Oh and thanks MichRX7 for keeping this thread up to date during your move I have found it most helpful in our planning.

(we are going to be in a unscheduled job changed that might give us the opportunity to change locations.)

speck76

I have been down here 7 years, moved from Michigan.

It is better than I expected.

Make sure you are financially ready to make the move (or at least as ready as you can be).

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have not moved the family yet. The position I accepted allows me to work from home so we will stay in MI until the house sells. I actually had a 2nd job offer that paid a little more, but turned it down since once I calculated gas, car mileage, time on road, etc it wasn't as good a fit for my family.

I lived in Sarasota back in the early 90's. The move is not so bad, but if you are coming from a northern area I suggest moving in late fall so your body has time to acclimate itself for the summer months. My guess is moving late spring would be the worst, and mid-winter would just be a pain loading the moving truck. :)

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
SOMEONE BUY MY HOUSE QUICK! :lol:

If it sells now it should close so that hurricane season is just ending when I move.

spr0m

All moved in to our rental home in the UCF area my commute to work is only 4 miles :) . Disney is 35 mins away via 417 :cool: . We are going to start looking for homes to buy next month but my wife has already fallen in love with Winter Park we joined the parish there and the town reminds us of our old town in NJ very much. The commute from there will be a little longer but the school system is A + and we have some family in the town as well. After church this past weekend we took the kids to AK for a few hours (treated it like a zoo and just looked at animals taking our time to enjoy). Once the wife and I get our FL driver licenses this weekend They will upgrade my AP's to FL resident PAP no charge which is really cool so we can enjoy the water parks more often :) . As far as the movers go the company I went with was awesome no damage and I would use them again. Just remember to save all the receipts from moving expenses they are fully deductable since you are doing the same type of work and moving more than 50 miles. You can even deduct the mileage driving you cars down at .35 per. Overnight stays and meals on the trip are excluded though.

JMishy

Mich,

Thank you so much for your inspiring story! My hubby and I have been wanting to move to Florida for a few years now. We came so close at one point and for some reason, backed out. :cry:

I know FL isn't well-known for their IT/Programming jobs, but you have shown that with determination, anything is possible. I, too, stay at home with the kids and my hubby works as a senior programmer for a local company. I'll just have to light a little fire under him and show him this thread. The thought of another New England winter already chills my bones.

And you guys are aweful with those barefoot and pregnant comments. Oh...wait...I am barefoot and pregnant... :eek:

How's the house selling going?

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words JMishy. It's always nice to know my story can help. The house sale is going slow. Believe it or not someone paid $9k more for a house just three houses up the street from mine. I have a better yard, hot tub, and more square footage.

Oh well, maybe a higher power (not just my wife) wants us to wait until after hurricane season :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom