Les Chefs roof change?

Prototype82

Original Poster
Les Chefs des France seems to have a new paint job and it's making me nervous. It completely lacks any antiquing and the roof of the building is now brown instead of donning charming oxidation from weather. The same can be said about the walls. From what I understand, there's two kinds of painting teams at Imagineering, and one is completely in charge of weathering things.

Before:

After:

I discovered these photos in a recent Orlando Theme Park News update.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Les Chefs des France seems to have a new paint job and it's making me nervous. It completely lacks any antiquing and the roof of the building is now brown instead of donning charming oxidation from weather. The same can be said about the walls. From what I understand, there's two kinds of painting teams at Imagineering, and one is completely in charge of weathering things.

Before:

After:

I discovered these photos in a recent Orlando Theme Park News update.
I also saw the same pictures, and immediately asked hubby which he preferred.

I certainly hope that brown coat is only the first step in the process, as we both thought it vastly inferior to the beautiful weathered green there now.

In all fairness, most of the the recent and ongoing exterior refurbs have been stunning, so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Prototype82

Original Poster
I also saw the same pictures, and immediately asked hubby which he preferred.

I certainly hope that brown coat is only the first step in the process, as we both thought it vastly inferior to the beautiful weathered green there now.

In all fairness, most of the the recent and ongoing exterior refurbs have been stunning, so I'm not giving up hope yet.
You have a good point there. They have been doing a great job.

hpyhnt 1000

Too soon to know for sure if its the final product - half the building is yet to be touched. Best to give it a few more weeks before judging.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
lol I feel like I'm being mocked. Or maybe I just feel like I ought to be.
It's actually a shout out to Josh at another site that we're not allowed to mention here.
It's his favourite line. Uh oh - insert minor aggravation here - vacation ruined!

BoarderPhreak

I think that's just a base coat for the green (fake copper patina) finish. You'd think with Disney's budget that they'd just use real copper. Benefits; no rust, no refinishing - and you know, a real patina! Though that would be a lot of copper, and it's not cheap. Still, figure the man hour cost of finishing (at least twice now)...

Besides, such a new-looking, brown finish wouldn't look right - and conflict with the "old French" look of the surroundings:

Prototype82

Original Poster
I think that's just a base coat for the green (fake copper patina) finish. You'd think with Disney's budget that they'd just use real copper. Benefits; no rust, no refinishing - and you know, a real patina! Though that would be a lot of copper, and it's not cheap. Still, figure the man hour cost of finishing (at least twice now)...

Besides, such a new-looking, brown finish wouldn't look right - and conflict with the "old French" look of the surroundings:

You're right. Definitely wouldn't look right with the old surroundings. Only reason I was nervous was because when I read the Maelstrom thread, it sounded like they cleaned up the Akershus steeple to make it look like clean copper again. (Edit: I misunderstood that post. The normally brown steeple now looks bluish like copper. Officially thrilled.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom