Lenses to bring to Disney World for Christmas

thomas998

Yup. More stuff inside to go wrong. AF, IS, electronic apertures and manual focus by wire, yada yada yada...

Go figure, I got the lens home, put it on a different body - same thing. Next I whacked it 2-3 times on the side as it was powering up and that freed up whatever was stuck. Good as new. Ironically, I did that while I was down there, but it didn't help. Must've been the angle or force or maybe the "third time's the charm." 🤬
You'll be better off just junking the lens. The one I had would work if I removed and smacked it too... I did that for a month or so but eventually it just stopped working, fortunately when it did go completely feet up I had another lens with me otherwise I would have been really upset. So do yourself a favor and take it to the shooting range and blast it into photography heaven.

BoarderPhreak

You'll be better off just junking the lens. The one I had would work if I removed and smacked it too... I did that for a month or so but eventually it just stopped working, fortunately when it did go completely feet up I had another lens with me otherwise I would have been really upset. So do yourself a favor and take it to the shooting range and blast it into photography heaven.
Oh, for sure. I don't care for gear I can't rely on or have to question. Especially when a lot of my photography is travel-based. I'll probably send it to Fuji to check out if nothing else, or move it on and either replace it or consider the 8-16mm. But man, that's a chunk of a lens. Decidedly not travel-friendly. Thankfully, I never travel with just one lens or even one body on longer/farther trips. Now that would be a buzz kill.

Though on the flip side, you could have a brand new lens in the bag that was properly shaken down before a trip and still have it die on you. That's one thing I never had to worry about with the manual Leica lenses. The camera, sure. But not the lenses.

WallyWorld

Love these threads....learn so much. Are phones catching up to all but the best gear? A phone with great composition beats better gear with less composition. Times seem to be changing.....

IMHO

thomas998

Love these threads....learn so much. Are phones catching up to all but the best gear? A phone with great composition beats better gear with less composition. Times seem to be changing.....

IMHO
Phones compete quite well against most point and shoot cameras, but they still fail when going up against any mirrorless or DSLR because of the sensor size, and I can see no way possible that any phone will ever have even a micro three fourths size sensor let along a full size sensor. I think the closest you could ever get with a phone was with the Sony QX100 or QX10... but they were really just addons for a phone and never really caught on.

BoarderPhreak

Phones are nice enough, because "the best camera is the one you have on you." But that's about where it ends for me. They'll never (or at least ANY time soon) replace a proper camera. I'd say a phone makes a nice companion to a proper camera - but doesn't replace it. They did however, kill the point and shoot market stone cold dead.

thomas998

Phones are nice enough, because "the best camera is the one you have on you." But that's about where it ends for me. They'll never (or at least ANY time soon) replace a proper camera. I'd say a phone makes a nice companion to a proper camera - but doesn't replace it. They did however, kill the point and shoot market stone cold dead.
Well almost completely dead. I still use a point and shoot when I go to concerts as a good point and shoot with a large sensor still performs better at a concert than any phone I've ever seen.... but that is a very small niche market.

Elfinko

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the 35mm. Guess it depends. If I'm taking pictures of the fam, I'd take the 50mm. The 35mm would be better for general park photography. If the camera is a crop, I'd maybe take both of those choices down a step. 10-18mm and 24mm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom