Lenses to bring to Disney World for Christmas

rlynnhodge

Original Poster
Hey friends,

I will be going to Disney World for Christmas this year. I want to take some amazing photos. I shoot with a Canon t7i (crop sensor). I am going to all parks. What lenses should I bring? This is what I currently have:

8-15mm
10-18mm
18-400mm
24mm
35mm
50mm
85mm
100mm

Thank you in advance

epcotisbest

Don't lug around all those lenses with you. You don't need them and don't want to take the chance on losing them or someone losing them for you. Carry one compact zoom, a sort of do it all lens. You won't regret the purchase and will use it often, while not wasting time changing lenses.
The 18-400 is a bit much and kinda heavy. I'm guessing it might be a Tamron.
I would suggest a smaller zoom, maybe 18-135 or 18-200 or something like that.

Last edited:

rlynnhodge

Original Poster
Don't lug around all those lenses with you. You don't need them and don't want to take the chance on losing them or someone losing them for you. Carry one compact zoom, a sort of do it all lens. You won't regret the purchase and will use it often, while not wasting time changing lenses.
The 18-400 is a bit much and kinda heavy. I'm guessing it might be a Tamron.
I would suggest a smaller zoom, maybe 18-135 or 18-200 or something like that.

Thank you, but at this time, I am unable to buy another lens. I was wondering what I should take from my collection.

Kevin_W

When I had a crop sensor, I loved the Sigma 18-35mm lens. I used that the majority of the time at Disney and would pull out the zoom for AK (I only have 70-200).

rlynnhodge

Original Poster
When I had a crop sensor, I loved the Sigma 18-35mm lens. I used that the majority of the time at Disney and would pull out the zoom for AK (I only have 70-200).

What would you take from the lenses that I have? I am not buying any new lenses before we go the WDW

donsullivan

Premium Member
Hey friends,

I will be going to Disney World for Christmas this year. I want to take some amazing photos. I shoot with a Canon t7i (crop sensor). I am going to all parks. What lenses should I bring? This is what I currently have:

8-15mm
10-18mm
18-400mm
24mm
35mm
50mm
85mm
100mm

Thank you in advance

Before making any sort of recommendation it would be helpful to understand the type of things you like to shot and what your style is as well as the aperture range of the lenses. For example, do you prefer to shoot wide landscaping views or do you prefer the in close details or portraits? Do you like to shoot dark rides or more the architecture of the parks in daylight. All of those things help to determine what will be your best choices. Also, are these EF lenses, or EF-S? That will have a difference on whether what you've posted is the actual focal length, or if you need to add the 1.6 crop factor of a Canon APS-C size sensor onto the calculations.

I see what I'm guessing are a bunch of prime lenses in that list that I'm guessing are all very wide aperture lenses as well as a likely fisheye. Understanding the aperture range of the lenses can also influence recommendations. Not knowing your style and preferences I can tell you that when I'm in the parks I typically have a 14-30 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8, 35 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8 and only occasionally (it's too heavy) a 70-200 f/2.8.

Making a few guesses on the likely aperture ranges of what you've shown above I'd likely choose only 4 for a visit to the parks. I'd take the 10-18, 18-400, 35 & 50. That combination will give you good focal range coverage and also include some low light coverage if you want to try some dark ride shooting

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
50 as prime and a zoom. The 50 will do well for close up interactions and the zoom for details in the distance.
Assuming those are not all Canon EF-S lenses. Remember, with a crop sensor, an non-EF 35 is closer to a 50.

I'd take the widest aperture 35 mm and the 18-400.

Last edited:

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
If I had to choose one when touring the parks, only bring the 35mm. You'll be able to get a lot more out of it plus you don't want to carry around multiple lenses with you. I'm leaving in 2 days and decided to leave my camera at home. I'll only be using my phone along with a Moment Anamorphic Lens.

thomas998

Take the 18-400 for AK... for the other parks I would go with the 8-15 and the 24 or 35 (which ever one is faster). A shame you didn't get the kit lens with the camera it would have been a better option than the 8-15 or 10-18.... Only ones I would be sure to leave at home would be the 100, 85, and 50... and either the 24 or 35.

fractal

Wide - 8-15
"carry around" - 24mm
medium - 50mm
long - 100mm

the 18-400 will cover most of the range but the primes will give you overall better results and more satisfaction. I don't think you really need more than a 100mm on a crop sensor for AK.

BoarderPhreak

You don't need long lenses at Disney; they take pains to make everything "right there." The exceptions would be Kilimanjaro Safaris and parades. 85-100mm would be just fine... Leave it in the room the rest of the time.

What you do need is something wide. And don't just take pictures to "get it all in." Have some foreground interest.

What you also need is something fast. In the evenings, nothing beats a fast aperture. Even with OIS/IBIS, while stationary objects will be fine, it's you and your subject's motion that will benefit - along with using a faster shutter speed and lower ISO.

What I typically bring with me (for a Fuji system) is the 10-24mm f/4 OIS (~15-35mm), 16mm f/1.4 (~24mm), 35mm f/1.4 (~50mm) and 90mm f/2 (~135mm). This provides a nice spread. I zoom with my feet and prefer prime quality/speed... As I also like to shoot with wide apertures and the auto MS/ES switch makes it easy breezy, without resorting to ND filters. You can always stop down a fast lens - but you can't open up a slow one. Granted, you're paying for that privilege in size/weight. Even more reason to limit your selection... A sore shoulder sucks.

thomas998

Now ain't that a *****... I get all the way down here and the 10-24mm lens is dead as a doorknob. Seems the aperture is stuck. Yay.
It's funny how the new all electronic lenses are so problematic. I had 16mm prime do the same thing about 2 months after the warranty expired... yet I have old fully mechanical lenses that are 30 or 40 years old and still work perfectly... Some of the electronics for stabilization are worth it, but the electronic controlled apertures are just another thing to break.

BoarderPhreak

It's funny how the new all electronic lenses are so problematic. I had 16mm prime do the same thing about 2 months after the warranty expired... yet I have old fully mechanical lenses that are 30 or 40 years old and still work perfectly... Some of the electronics for stabilization are worth it, but the electronic controlled apertures are just another thing to break.
Yup. More stuff inside to go wrong. AF, IS, electronic apertures and manual focus by wire, yada yada yada...

Go figure, I got the lens home, put it on a different body - same thing. Next I whacked it 2-3 times on the side as it was powering up and that freed up whatever was stuck. Good as new. Ironically, I did that while I was down there, but it didn't help. Must've been the angle or force or maybe the "third time's the charm." 🤬

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom