LEGO Wicked Wench

TROR

Original Poster
During the changes earlier this summer to Pirates of the Caribbean I ended up diving all in on its history and craftsmanship. In doing so I decided I wanted to recreate the Wicked Wench out of LEGO. I started with just a basic concept on LDD, a computer program for building with LEGO, and planned to leave it at that as I was under the impression the hull I needed didn't come in red. Once I found out there were two separate pairs, one red and gray the other brown and red, that could be separated and put back together to be a completely red bow and stern, I decided to just go all in and build it.

WYW1vBj.jpg

I've been wanting a LEGO pirate ship ever since I was around eight years old so it's pretty great to finally have one. It's taken me all summer to build this and I finished just in time before my trip to Disneyland tomorrow. The ship itself is about 2' tall, 2'7" long, and 5" wide and it's over 800 pieces. There are a few inaccuracies with the ship in converting it to LEGO due to the odd proportions of LEGO and the forced perspective proportions of the real ship.

One of the biggest inaccuracies are the Jolly Roger flags. In the actual model on Pirates of the Caribbean, there's only one flag at the stern and rather than skull and crossbones it has swords. Although such a Jolly Roger flag does exist in LEGO I couldn't find any being sold in the US.

ZAzqigF.jpg
38297850_154198228797851_8678991748199874560_n.jpg

The sails are all custom made just with some printing fabric from Hobby Lobby. The two pirates firing the cannons aren't very accurate representation of their animatronic counterparts, but the captain is a pretty good looking minifigure of the character voiced by Paul Frees.

g3XcVPP.jpg

If you notice the barrel right in front of the captain there, that's essentially the difference between Disneyland USA's and Tokyo Disneyland's Wicked Wenches so this is actually a Tokyo Disneyland model. Speaking of the captain, though, the captain's quarter does have a detailed interior with a removable roof.

VkO8ic5.jpg
9nnQATX.jpg
38251389_154198278797846_6390072984601624576_n.jpg
syYmKtX.jpg

The captain's quarters from the outside and the gold detailing around it is my favorite part of this build. Really just a ton of fun to put together.

syYmKtX.jpg

Like I said, going to Disneyland tomorrow so I'm going to Disneyland (and DCA) tomorrow so expect some opinions on the new changes to Pirates of the Caribbean, Pixar Pier, and maybe Mission Breakout. We'll see.

EDIT: Updated with better photos. Here's the Disneyland Trip Report.

Last edited:

dweezil78

Nice job dude, very cool! Impressive work. Have fun at the parks tomorrow and try not to get caught up in drinking all the hatorade while you're there. :)

Phroobar

Amazing job on the ship! It looks store quality. Will you be releasing the plans for it? Make sure to ride Mission Breakout. I hear it's totally rad.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
During the changes earlier this summer to Pirates of the Caribbean I ended up diving all in on its history and craftsmanship. In doing so I decided I wanted to recreate the Wicked Wench out of LEGO. I started with just a basic concept on LDD, a computer program for building with LEGO, and planned to leave it at that as I was under the impression the hull I needed didn't come in red. Once I found out there were two separate pairs, one red and gray the other brown and red, that could be separated and put back together to be a completely red bow and stern, I decided to just go all in and build it.

View attachment 300491

I've been wanting a LEGO pirate ship ever since I was around eight years old so it's pretty great to finally have one. It's taken me all summer to build this and I finished just in time before my trip to Disneyland tomorrow. The ship itself is about 2' tall, 2'7" long, and 5" wide and it's over 800 pieces. There are a few inaccuracies with the ship in converting it to LEGO due to the odd proportions of LEGO and the forced perspective proportions of the real ship.

View attachment 300492

One of the biggest inaccuracies are the Jolly Roger flags. In the actual model on Pirates of the Caribbean, there's only one flag at the stern and rather than skull and crossbones it has swords. Although such a Jolly Roger flag does exist in LEGO I couldn't find any being sold in the US. Sidenote: I hate this poster.

View attachment 300493View attachment 300494

The sails are all custom made just with some printing fabric from Hobby Lobby. The two pirates firing the cannons aren't very accurate representation of their animatronic counterparts, but the captain is a pretty good looking minifigure of the character voiced by Paul Frees.

View attachment 300496

If you notice the barrel right in front of the captain there, that's essentially the difference between Disneyland USA's and Tokyo Disneyland's Wicked Wenches so this is actually a Tokyo Disneyland model. Speaking of the captain, though, the captain's quarter does have a detailed interior with a removable roof.

View attachment 300498View attachment 300497View attachment 300499View attachment 300500

The captain's quarters from the outside and the gold detailing around it is my favorite part of this build. Really just a ton of fun to put together. I'll probably update this with some new photos with better quality and lighting on Sunday or Monday.

Like I said, going to Disneyland tomorrow so I'm going to Disneyland (and DCA) tomorrow so expect some opinions on the new changes to Pirates of the Caribbean, Pixar Pier, and maybe Mission Breakout. We'll see.
Hey! We have a thread in the armchair Imagineering board about Applied Imagineering. Essentially just sharing creative projects related to Disney we've done in real life. This would be amazing there!

Would you want to post it? Or would you mind if I did?

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...oing-real-stuff-for-real.944546/#post-8264322

Its not our most active thread on the board, but it's still a fun one lol

VJ

Does anything IP related get approved through Lego Ideas?
Lots! A Steamboat Willie set was just scheduled for review and Disney was promoting the set on their blogs. There was a Beatles Yellow Submarine set that got made. As long as the parent companies of the IP wanna play ball, the set will be officially licensed and produced.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Are you going to begin a Lego Mission: Garbage Dump next? You could build Tower of Terror and then put a bunch of crap on top of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom