Leaving in 13 days and still haven't told the kids!

sjead

We are leaving in 13 days (to be in WDW in 14) and we still haven't told the kids! My DD thinks we are going next year and the boys have no idea where we are going except "someplace fun."
Has anyone else ever done this? How did the kids react when you got there? Am I making a mistake or will it be the best surprise ever for them?
It is taking every ounce of self control I have not jump around and yell "We're going to Disney!!!!!!!!!" :ROFLOL:

PotteryGal

We are leaving in 13 days (to be in WDW in 14) and we still haven't told the kids! My DD thinks we are going next year and the boys have no idea where we are going except "someplace fun."
Has anyone else ever done this? How did the kids react when you got there? Am I making a mistake or will it be the best surprise ever for them?
It is taking every ounce of self control I have not jump around and yell "We're going to Disney!!!!!!!!!" :ROFLOL:

I've never done this because the I know I would so totally not be able to keep my mouth shut! :lol: If they love Disney, I don't see why they wouldn't be totally excited when they learn the news! :)

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

A good friend of mine did it for her two kids just recently. She booked her trip and kept it a secret for four months and her two kids (9 and 6) knew nothing until they got to the airport. She said it was the best surprise ever for them. They thought they were dropping off a neighbor at the airport when it was them that was being dropped off (the neighbor would take their car back home for them). My friend had been to WDW 20 some years ago, but the kids never. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I think this is great, try to keep it under your hat as long as possible. I can't see where the kids would be upset, really really excited; but not upset. Enjoy your trip

Upvote 0
My parents did this to my sister and I when we were little and we were sooooo excited when we finally found out. They had kept it a secret from us for months, until we caught them packing. Then they told us that we were just going to Naples (FL) for the weekend. It was not until we got to the hotel that they told us. My sister and I jumped all around the room we were so happy!

I think your kids are going to love the surprise, and remember it forever. It is still a favorite memory of mine even after almost 15 years. :wave:

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

Oh yeah I did it was so awesome. In 2005 my DH & I got a nice refund check from taxes & re-fi our house. So at the last min. we decided "We are going to Disney World" Mind you this was our very 1st. time.

When I first called to place our reseveration for the Magic your way package. I could not complete the transaction, since the transactions had not cleared my bank, and I had not paid my CC, so at first I thought we would not be able to go. The Disney rep. called me back and I had enough on my CC to book the room, we were able to get the cabins @ FW.

So to not telling the kids- We told them we were taking them to the beach & then Bush Gardens. So our plan was to put the kids in the van around midnight & then drive all night.

As we were getting ready to load them in I ended up telling my oldest daughter (15 at the time), that I had a really big secret, and her response is Oh God mom your not pregnant. Of course I was not, but I said you can not tell your little sister (5 at the time) we are going to Disney. She did not believe me. But I did not tell the youngest one. When we arrived the next day in FL the youngest still did not realize where we were.

So that afternoon, we get checked in and cleaned up to go to the MK, the 5 yr old still did not believe it. Let me tell you when we finally walked into the MK and we walked towards main st. I just contined to watch my 5 yr olds face. All I can say "PRICELESS"!

So be prepared to have a moment of having your breath taken away watching your childerns faces from keeping it a surprise.

Upvote 0

Atomicmickey

We are booked for October and haven't told the kids yet!

(Actually, I had the whole trip planned, and didn't tell my wife, and I had saved the money and didn't tell her that, either! So I've already had one
surprise revelation!)

Not sure how long we'll wait--maybe until a couple of weeks out.
The last time we told them two months in advance and the waiting was
crazy! Not that that's a bad thing . . . .

One thing, we're going to hold off telling just about everyone, because we'll
get the same comments as last time from family and friends "are you sure
that's the smart thing to be doing with your money in this economy?"

If I had a dime for every one of those, we'd be staying concierge at the Poly, lol.

Anyway, going to hold off as long as possible, I think. Probably not until the airport, but pretty close.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

So awesome!! Your children are going to go nuts!!! I actually tried to surprise my DS with our upcoming Sept. trip, but I caved... I was too excited. One of these years I am going to attempt to do it, well at least try again anyway! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

DisneysRedHead

I love this idea!!! My parents did it to us once, but I don't think they even knew until the last minute. We were vacationing in Hilton Head, SC and they walked into our rooms at like 4am and said "Wanna go to Disney World?" My brother and I freaked out.

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

We're doing the same thing. We leave in about a month and what we're gonna do is wait until the morning of,and wake them up , and tell them we have to go right away. When they ask why we'll tell them we're going to WDW. We'll definitely record it as well to get their reactions. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

pluto1964

We did this when we only had one child. She was 5 and we were in Florida for a conference. She knew were in Orlando and that Disney was there but when we drove to our hotel and stayed for a week, she was truely surprised and happy. It was great.

Upvote 0
One thing, we're going to hold off telling just about everyone, because we'll
get the same comments as last time from family and friends.

I try to hold off telling people as well. The response I usually get is "why are you going there again?" Comments like those drive me crazy and the less I have to hear it from co-workers and friends the better.

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We did this a couple years ago with my niece and nephew...they had never been but my kids have been many times (they are much older).. my nieces birthday was a week before we were leaving so we all wore "Disney" clothes to the party and bought her things like the autograph book, camera, etc for her birthday... it was fun! They loved the trip and we are ALL going back in May - I can't wait!

Upvote 0

alemanyindisney

WI Disney Fan... I too get the "why are you going back questions" and they do get really old fast! I get it from my brother to say the least! I have fallen in love with vacationing down in Disney, there never is a dull moment! There is soo much to do and see, why wouldnt everybody want to go back?:D

Upvote 0

DisneyAhearns

We did the same thing!

In Feb of 2008 my husband went on a business trip. When my daughter and I picked him up from the airport hubby and I had already devised a plan..... we got in the car and he said that unfortunately he had another business trip in August to go to. It was "planned" that daughter and I would drop him at the airport and spend the night at a hotel and do some school shopping. We had 6 months to plan. With her thinking we weren't going, we "played Disney" by making a "pretend" itinerary. She told us where she wanted to eat, what she wanted to do etc. We decided to buy the Disney Vacation Club also last year and told her that we bought it but couldn't use it until next year..... The time for the trip came and I packed all our things in 1 suitcase! She still had no clue! When we got to the airport, we gave her a notebook/journal that on the first page said "Surprise, we are all going to Disney World!" It went on to give her the meal reservations and all the other details we worked out. By giving her the notebook, we were able to capture the moment both on camera AND video. Great trip all around!

We also are leaving in 2 weeks! Have a great trip! I know we will!!:wave:
~DisneyAhearns

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

We did it to our sons a few years ago. Told them we were going to the airport to get their cousins, who had already came thru. Had my video camera going, it was classic. When we told them we had to say it 3 times till they got it, totally worked out to the tee.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom