Least Scary place to sit on rides?

JillC LI

Original Poster
I posted this in response to the string on best ride in Frontierland, but I thought maybe I should give it a separate string so people can see it.

A couple of people have mentioned that they most enjoy sitting in the back row of Big Thunder. I plan to be brave and ride it for the first time this coming October, and I was wondering if someone can tell me whether the back row gives a scarier or less scary ride? I want to sit in the least scary position possible, big chicken that I am! LOL :eek:

Also, I plan to brave Splash Mountain as well. Aside from knowing that you get less wet in the back than the front, can someone tell me if any positions feel "The Drop" more than other positions? I terrified of the end of that ride but am dying to experience the rest of it with my family (who are all braver than I am!). Thanks guys.
-Jill

Rob562

On long-train coasters like Big Thunder, Everest and RnRC, the middle of the train gives the most "even" ride. The front and rear of the trains give a bit different of a ride.

On Splash, while the front row has the larest potential of getting wet from the big drop's splashdown, the biggest potential of getting wet on Splash is from the splash effect that comes from the briar patch every time a log comes down the hill. One of the splashes arcs over and lands right on the trough on the left-hand side of the front pond, where the logs start up the second lift. So it all comes down to sheer luck of the draw in the timing as to which row (if any) is in just the right spot as they float through that section.
As for which seat "feels" the drops, unless you're REALLY sensitive to picking up changes in motion and acceleration, they're pretty much all the same.

On simulator motion-base rides like Star Tours and Dinosaur, the middle of the front row gives the gentlest ride.

-Rob

DizneyPryncess

I've always felt like the last cart on any roller coaster gives the most intense ride. I think it's because you get whipped the most, since the train is already on it's way down the hill before you're even at the complete top.

In the same regards, I think sitting in the first cart gives the least amount of "drop", because you've gone down a little bit of the hill before momentum picks up and the drop is really felt. I agree that the middle gives the most even ride.

I hate big drops, so I always sit in the front. But like you said, you will get the most wet in the front of Splash.

RiversideBunny

If you sit in the last seat on the left, in the back row, on the Star Tours attraction, you will bounce so hard that it's difficult to stay in the seat.
That spot seems to move around much more than the other locations.

:)

hellotim

I agree with Dizney Pryncess. The middle is the safe option. If you want the slowest car sit as close to the front as you can. On a lonmg coaster the front cart is part way down the drops before the end catches up. The overall affect is that the front carts are slowed down. Anyway when it comes to BTM and SM they are really slow by coaster standards. Even SM only travels at 28 mph. That's pretty much the same speed as most kiddy coasters. Just get on and enjoy:rolleyes:

On Big Thunder specifically, the front car is a much tamer ride compared to the back. We have had them both. Most of the hills, you are half way down waiting for the back of the train to crest the hill before you even start!

Splash, I dont think it matters. Like you said, getting splashed the seat matters but as far as experiencing the drop its no big deal. The drop is over very quick. If you go on splash, dont let the anticipation of the drop ruin the rest of the ride for you! You will absolutely know when the drop is coming.

I agree with Dizney Pryncess. The middle is the safe option. If you want the slowest car sit as close to the front as you can. On a lonmg coaster the front cart is part way down the drops before the end catches up. The overall affect is that the front carts are slowed down. Anyway when it comes to BTM and SM they are really slow by coaster standards. Even SM only travels at 28 mph. That's pretty much the same speed as most kiddy coasters. Just get on and enjoy:rolleyes:

You know its funny, EE goes twice the speed of SM. But I never would have guessed that. Space makes you feel like your going much faster than you really are

I think the best place to sit is in the middle for Big Thunder. Being too close to the front just is sort of scary because you see the drop and have more time for anticipation. And, of course, the back has the most severe experience.

As for Splash, I have never ridden it and never plan on it, so I have no experience in that field.

Good luck!

marsrunner

The only place I sit on Big Thunder is the last car...doesn't matter which row though. I can't stand the front because it is so boring. You're halfway down the hill by the time you actually start moving!
I don't think Splash matters too much, but I prefer the front just because you get to see the drop with nothing in front of you. Whoo hoo!

Disneyson 1

I think that the left of the log gets less wet than the right... I think...

And you guys should try splash, it barely has any of that roller coaster "butterflies in your stomach" feeling. And the drop doesn't even seem big with the mist (the "we're plunging into a pond" effect) creating a visual barrier, dividing the drop in 2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom