Le Cellier vs Yachtsman's

Lexi

I was really put off by Shula's -- after my steak arrived, the waiter took out a pen light (it was so dark in the restaurant I couldn't see 3 inches in front of me) and instructed me to cut into my steak. I asked why, as I have never been asked to do this before at a steak house, and he got nasty and said because he wanted to show me it was the perfect temperature. So even though I was completely confused, I cut into my steak which I ordered medium rare, the waiter then practically touched my steak with his light and said "See, a perfect medium rare." Problem was it was not a perfect medium rare and when I said so he looked at my like I had just cursed him out and said "Yes, it is." It was seriously the strangest interaction I have ever had at a restaurant.

Tony the Tigger

I was really put off by Shula's -- after my steak arrived, the waiter took out a pen light (it was so dark in the restaurant I couldn't see 3 inches in front of me) and instructed me to cut into my steak. I asked why, as I have never been asked to do this before at a steak house, and he got nasty and said because he wanted to show me it was the perfect temperature. So even though I was completely confused, I cut into my steak which I ordered medium rare, the waiter then practically touched my steak with his light and said "See, a perfect medium rare." Problem was it was not a perfect medium rare and when I said so he looked at my like I had just cursed him out and said "Yes, it is." It was seriously the strangest interaction I have ever had at a restaurant.

bizarre!

JusticeDisney

The flashlight/cut into your meat thing is done at nearly every high end steakhouse in the country. It sucks that you had a bad experience, but as far as quality of the steaks, there's not a single other place in all of Disney World that can even come close to touching Shula's. And that is precisely why Shula's wins so many awards.

Lexi

The flashlight/cut into your meat thing is done at nearly every high end steakhouse in the country. It sucks that you had a bad experience, but as far as quality of the steaks, there's not a single other place in all of Disney World that can even come close to touching Shula's. And that is precisely why Shula's wins so many awards.

I have been to the top steakhouses in New York, California, Texas and everywhere in between and have never had this happen. I have cut into my steak and been promptly approached by the head waiter who then asked me if everything was cooked to my liking but I have never had anyone stick a pen light anywhere near my food.

I also just checked the awards listed on their website (more because I was so curious because I did not find the restaurant to be special, I promise I'm not trolling for negative comments) and they are from Wine Spectator which is for their wine selection and food pairing abilities, not the food itself and local Orlando newspapers. They have a Zagat's award listed but that location isn't even rated any longer on their website.

But we can of course agree to disagree, which seems the best way to go most of the time on these boards haha.

JusticeDisney

I have been to the top steakhouses in New York, California, Texas and everywhere in between and have never had this happen. I have cut into my steak and been promptly approached by the head waiter who then asked me if everything was cooked to my liking but I have never had anyone stick a pen light anywhere near my food.

I also just checked the awards listed on their website (more because I was so curious because I did not find the restaurant to be special, I promise I'm not trolling for negative comments) and they are from Wine Spectator which is for their wine selection and food pairing abilities, not the food itself and local Orlando newspapers. They have a Zagat's award listed but that location isn't even rated any longer on their website.

But we can of course agree to disagree, which seems the best way to go most of the time on these boards haha.
As you said, we can just agree to disagree about the flashlight thing, because I have seen it done at many top class steakhouses. And you do realize that by doing it, the waiter is actually attempting to make sure that your steak is cooked to your liking, don't you? I mean, you sound pretty annoyed but it's not like he asked you to go outside and dig a ditch before you ate. He simply asked you to make a quick slice into your meat in order to make sure you were satisfied. I, for one, appreciate that type of service.

shipley731

I've eaten at A couple of different Shula's & never gotten the cut into your steak routine. I think Shula's is fine, but I've had better steaks elsewhere. Pappas' Steakhouse in Houston comes to mind as does Doris Metropolitan in New Orleans. Neither did the cut into your steak routine. The place in New Orleans is honestly the best steak I've ever had. Just stumbled onto the place. Steak was flavorful, cooked to perfection& I barely needed the knife to cut it.
All that being said, I generally head to Yatchsman if I want a steak at WDW. Good service, good atmosphere, & good food.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)

I agree with you because we have dined at top restaurants in different cities as well, and never did anyone come with the little flashlight and cut into our steak to show us how it was cooked!! They as with you, just ask us if it is to our liking or how is it etc. That would totally annoy me to have someone cut into my steak and use a flashlight to show me its indeed cooked as ordered. :rolleyes:

JusticeDisney

I agree with you because we have dined at top restaurants in different cities as well, and never did anyone come with the little flashlight and cut into our steak to show us how it was cooked!! They as with you, just ask us if it is to our liking or how is it etc. That would totally annoy me to have someone cut into my steak and use a flashlight to show me its indeed cooked as ordered. :rolleyes:
I think you misunderstand. The waiter did not cut into the steak. The waiter merely asks you to slice into your steak to ensure that it is cooked to your liking.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I think you misunderstand. The waiter did not cut into the steak. The waiter merely asks you to slice into your steak to ensure that it is cooked to your liking.
That's what I meant sorry. Lol I know they wouldn't cut into my steak. Meant having to cut into it myself and the flashlight/pen light pointing at my steak would annoy me. Never have had that happen before even at the fine dining/ top steakhouse places we have visited during our travels. :)

Hockey89

This is not uncommon, but fighting with you is an issue.... The issue with medium rare vs rare vs medium can be subjective at times, but we usually all know the general ball park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom