Launch Bay/Feature Animation

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
does anyone hear have any guesses on what’s going to happen in this area? It really doesn’t make sense to have Star Wars in three different areas of the park, but here we are. I only went into launch bay once but it seems like it could easily be put back to an animation area without a ton of money. I’m not sure how many changes were made other than paint and props.

The theatre could be used to show previews for upcoming films, add back some meet and greets, call the archives and ask for a truckload of props to put on display, reinstate the animation class. Seems easy enough. Would make Animation Courtyard make sense again and would probably take in more people than the Star Wars leftovers. It could even be cross promoted with the return of fantasmic. Add a cart selling sorcerer mickey cupcakes. Boom.

Thoughts?

roj2323

I'd venture to guess we will hear something about this area's redevelopment closely before or after Universal's new park is set to open. Both Universal and Disney like to take stabs at each other and the timing would be about right. We will likely hear about whatever they are going to plop in place of Dinorama about the same time so 18-24 months give or take. 2024 is also DHS's 35 year anniversary and 2023 is DAK's 25th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of the Disney company so expect D23 most likely to have some news.

Brer Panther

I don't expect Disney do get rid of Launch Bay for at least a while.

So much of Hollywood Studios right now is just wasted space. Launch Bay, the theater showing the new Mickey Mouse short, the Frozen sing-along...

Centauri Space Station

I don't expect Disney do get rid of Launch Bay for at least a while.

So much of Hollywood Studios right now is just wasted space. Launch Bay, the theater showing the new Mickey Mouse short, the Frozen sing-along...
The frozen singalong is popular and Mickey shorts still beats sounds dangerous. Little mermaid and Launch bay needs replacements for sure

MagicHappens1971

The frozen singalong is popular and Mickey shorts still beats sounds dangerous. Little mermaid and Launch bay needs replacements for sure
I feel the Frozen Sing-A-Long is "popular" because there is really not much else to do in the park to "kill time". As someone who saw it during Frozen Summer Fun, the show needs to go, that whole space could be used for a Frozen attraction, a different themed attraction, or update the theatre and put in a higher production value show.

nickys

Premium Member
Probably not the right forum for this, but I believe the building should be demolished and a connection should be made to the RnRC area.

My Armchair Imagineering concept was to re-theme RnRC, add a couple of other attractions and build Wakanda.
I was with you until you mentioned Wakanda.

I’d like a couple of dark rides (or similar) for all ages put in place. Say Monsters Inc and Moana, for example. Or Encanto. And the best thing would be they could do it all back stage without impacting the existing park.

My alternative would be to use the Animation building for an enhanced One Man’s Dream. So that the Walt feature movie doesn’t need to keep being replaced by previews for new releases.

And still build the new area behind the scenes until it’s ready to open.

pdude81

Only barely. Meet and greets aren’t open, the documentary film isn’t playing in the theater, the gift shop isn’t open, and the Preview Gallery portion of the museum isn’t open. The current experience is an absolute shell of its former self.
This past summer they had the gift shop open as well as the walk throughs with all the helmets, ships, lightsabers, etc. It was really only the characters that weren't there, and this was during the delta covid spike there. I didn't go this past week but I don't understand why they would shut down things that had already reopened. Especially when they only needed staff for the shop. Now if they ran out of merch, I could see that as a reason to close the shop down.

YodaMan

This past summer they had the gift shop open as well as the walk throughs with all the helmets, ships, lightsabers, etc. It was really only the characters that weren't there, and this was during the delta covid spike there. I didn't go this past week but I don't understand why they would shut down things that had already reopened. Especially when they only needed staff for the shop. Now if they ran out of merch, I could see that as a reason to close the shop down.

Out of curiosity, what date were you there? As far as I was aware, Cargo has not reopened since before the pandemic and is still closed currently (and with the shop closed, the Preview Gallery must be grated off as well).

pdude81

Out of curiosity, what date were you there? As far as I was aware, Cargo has not reopened since before the pandemic and is still closed currently (and with the shop closed, the Preview Gallery must be grated off as well).
8/10 to 8/16 or so last year. Not sure which day I was in there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom