Last minute trip to WDW

HALOYMYK

I am planning a trip to WDW from California for June 3-9, 2018 for a family of 5. We are Disneyland APers but this will be our first trip to WDW and plan on staying at the Cars resort. My kids are ages 9, 13, and 17 and any suggestions would be helpful. Such as whether the dining plan is worth it, do I need a rental car, and how it all works. We plan on arriving on a Sunday, go to the parks on Monday and Tuesday, resort day on Wednesday and then park days on Thursday and Friday. Any advice would be so helpful and appreciated, Sorry if these questions have already been asked. TIA

BraveGirl

The dining plan really depends on your family. If you search the boards there are so many discussions about whether or not it's worth it. For my family, it's not, because my kids barely eat and we are fine with grabbing snacks from the food courts for most meals. You do not need to rent a car. Magical Express will take you from the airport to the hotel, and then there are buses to take you everywhere on property. And if you want to go somewhere with no bus service, Uber is super easy and cheap. If you haven't downloaded the My Disney Experience app, do that and and start planning. It's not like DL where you get your FPs that day - you have to reserve them for WDW in advance and they open up 60 days ahead of time for those staying on property. Your window is coming up soon. The busy rides will fill up immediately so make sure you do it at exactly the 60 day mark

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I am planning a trip to WDW from California for June 3-9, 2018 for a family of 5. We are Disneyland APers but this will be our first trip to WDW and plan on staying at the Cars resort. My kids are ages 9, 13, and 17 and any suggestions would be helpful. Such as whether the dining plan is worth it, do I need a rental car, and how it all works. We plan on arriving on a Sunday, go to the parks on Monday and Tuesday, resort day on Wednesday and then park days on Thursday and Friday. Any advice would be so helpful and appreciated, Sorry if these questions have already been asked. TIA
You're gonna love it! I'm not sure which resort you are referring to as the Cars resort, but as for a rental car, it's a nice perk if you can afford it, but it's not absolutely necessary with the Disney buses handy. Just note that all bookings after March 21st of this year will require a parking fee at the WDW resorts. You will get strong disagreement from people about whether the dining plan is "worth it." We always get it since our family eats in a way that makes it worthwhile and enjoys the convenience, but you probably won't lose money without it. If you haven't already booked your dining, please do so ASAP. Four park days sounds fine. Decide if you want to hit one park per day or if you'd prefer parkhoppers. Don't forget that you can book your FP+s 60 days out (which is in a few days!) so if you are going to book the trip, and you want FP+s for the hottest attractions on the days you are visiting those parks, I'd book your trip immediately so you can reserve those FP+s!

Upvote 0

Dave B

My number one advice is Rent a Car for sure, gives you so much more freedom and you not a slave to the bus system which will add hours to your waiting during the day

Upvote 0

Dutch Inn '76

My opinion: Dining plan & rental car are not needed. Take full advantage of FP+, meaning make all of your FPs early in the day so you can add more after you've used your third, fourth, etc.

The biggest difference between Disneyland and WDW is the Epcot World Showcase, Animal Kingdom, and then just the size of WDW vs. DL. The many restaurants are another big difference. Pick a few that you like the sound of, and go to them. I recommend the Biergarten in Germany. Also, Toy Story Land may be open in Hollywood Studios by then. ...and make sure you see the Tower of Terror at HS - as it is better than the one at California Adventure ever was.

Upvote 0

Dave B

So when it comes to renting a car, the thing I will tell you is this. To me, TIME is valuable when on vacation, yes there is the bus system, but I will tell you that on a 7 day trip, you will give yourself back at least 14-20 hours having a car, especially if you are park hopping at all, that you can put back into your leisure part of the trip, now if you like to wait anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour at bus stops per day and then at least an hour at closing, if you stay until the end or any peak time go for it, but we value the time so much more than the convenience of the bus system. Just my two cents from our 6 trips we have taken. Yes you could hire Lyft or Uber, but realistically, you can rent a car for $20-$25 per day, which again would be cheaper than 2 Lyfts or Uber per day.

Dining Plan really comes down to convenience, unless you guys are huge eaters, but if you can get the free dining promo, definitely take it, but I don't think they are offering it for your dates

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Dutch Inn '76

Dave's reasoning is most of the reason why we don't "Park Hop" anymore. That, and the park hopper tickets are so much more expensive. You can waste a lot of time traveling between Parks. It takes more time to travel using the bus, but you use a lot of time using your car too. We think it's better to use the buses, arriving at rope drop so that you can do a lot before the crowds arrive; then stay at that park until you're ready to crash for the day.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I meant Art of Animation in the Cars section and we are booking it tomorrow!!!!

Keep in mind you will have to pay parking if you book now and rent a car. I'm not sure it's necessary really. With Uber/Lyft and Minnie Vans I think you'll be fine.

As for the dining plan, it all depends on how you eat and what kind of places you plan to go. If you don't have a lot booked, skip it for sure. In general you have to do more character meals or eat the most expensive items to make it work. No meal sharing or anything like that.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I normally say for sure do MK 2 days. But since you frequent DL, I’d recommend for sure seeing the things WDW offers that DL doesn’t. So for sure hit up the other 3 parks.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
My number one advice is Rent a Car for sure, gives you so much more freedom and you not a slave to the bus system which will add hours to your waiting during the day
I don't think that's needed, I've been going to Disney for many years and only on rare occasions had I thought a car would help.

Why add in a cost that isn't needed? I mean you're talking about rental expenses, parking fees (in both the parks and resorts now).

Plus you add on a delay in getting to the park - at least with MK. Taking a tram to the TTC, then the monorail to the park. Seems more effort then its worth in the long run - just my $02.

Upvote 0

Dave B

The price is fairly small considering the amount of time you get back, and how is there a delay getting to MK? The amount of time the busses take is much longer, just my $.02

I guess you could say that they drop you off up front, but you still are waiting at least 20 minutes to get your buss, but more likely 30-60, unless you get at the resort bus stop at the perfect time, which is rare

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We are not going to
I've not needed/wanted or regretted not having a rental at WDW for the last 10+ years. Personally, I don't see the need, especially now that you're not only paying for resort parking but also park parking. The car will sit unused for the majority of time, why spend hundreds of dollars for sometjhing that will be by and large unused. Just my $.02, everyone's needs are different but for my trips, we've not needed one.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom