Last Imagineering Home Run at Florida Resorts

Figmentation

I noticed a lot of "Homeruns" were made back in the Eisner days.
I agree, MGM/Hollywood and the start of Animal Kingdom was made under his watch.
Everest was made I believe shortly after Iger took over. But aside from that, I haven't been impressed.
To be honest, he DID keep the parks afloat some how during the recession. But now that we're out of it, it hasn't changed much.

Anywho, I got off subject:
TOT was a grand slam for sure.
Everest would be amazing if the Yeti was working. (Still up there though.)
If we're going in the last 10 years... Everest probably is the most recent one.

The Empress Lilly

ToT is phenomenal, but not perfect. For one, it looks like a hotel from 2016 Syria. Who builds a 199 ft. ruin? Clean up that façade! Much more stylish and even, also, more eerie.

Nobody considers Test Track, Soarin' homeruns? Well I don't either, although Soarin' is a most pleasurable experience and the TT redo made that one bearable. But I expected their nominations.

I would nominate the whole of DAK's Africa (1998). The safari and trek are both fantastic, as is Harambe itself.

BrianLo

The situation is a bit depressing in Florida. Kilimanjaro Safari is a home-run for what it is, but it's not a dark ride. ToT is the last dark ride that was a home run.

Nothing on the level of Radiator Springs Racers, Mystic Manor, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Sindbad has been built in WDW in the last two decades.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My vote goes to Splash. I think it as close to a complete package Disney has achieved. Decent queue, an outdoor element, indoor element, animatronics, some decent dips indoors, the big dip, a brief outdoor element, then a grand finale. I think from a formula perspective it has all the pieces.

halltd

ToT is phenomenal, but not perfect. For one, it looks like a hotel from 2016 Syria. Who builds a 199 ft. ruin? Clean up that façade! Much more stylish and even, also, more eerie.
Are you serious? Half of the building disappeared when it was hit by lightning!

ToT is hands down the last "amazing" attraction done in Florida. Runners up would be Countdown to Extinction when all the effects were new and working, and Kilimanjaro Safari with the original narration and Little Red scene (before the addition of the hyena exhibit or Africa Trek). I'd say the Tree of Life and Tough to Be a Bug film were also pretty successful...as was the entirety of DAK for that matter. Even though the general public didn't get it, I think it was amazingly well done...and continues today to be my favorite stateside Disney park.

I could even argue the MK Hub was a home run...if it weren't for those hideous LED light towers.

slappy magoo

Since the title includes "Florida resorts" I'd argue that for a Value resort, Art of Animation really ups the ante in terms of hotel theming. They really learned a lot about what works and what doesn't from the other Value resorts, they heard the clarion call for more suites for families of more than 4 people. Is it as awesome as some of the deluxe resorts, or even all of the mods? No, but it's not supposed to be, it's a Value and Value Suite resort. The attention to detail in the decoration is very impressive. I certainly wish they'd invest that sort of money and attention to detail in new attractions, and I wish the food court wasn't as loud as an average 70s-era Who concert, but even as someone who's not a fan of Value accommodations, I had to admit being very impressed by the grounds and the little details in the rooms, even only being in a Little Mermaid room. How they maximized space in the Suites is even more impressive.

Brad Bishop

My vote goes to Splash. I think it as close to a complete package Disney has achieved. Decent queue, an outdoor element, indoor element, animatronics, some decent dips indoors, the big dip, a brief outdoor element, then a grand finale. I think from a formula perspective it has all the pieces.

I lean towards ToT but Splash.. You make some really good points. There's just SO much to it. Even after the final drop when you think, "Ok, we're done..." there's still the the side area and the big finale scene. It's just such a complete ride. I'd say my only complaint with the ride is that there's this weird transition where there's a dip and it's not themed at all.. It's like going through a black box. Probably something for going between the park part of the ride to the warehouse in the back. That being said, I'm being REALLY nit-picky by pointing that out. It really is a complete, fulfilling ride.

s8film40

ToT is the most recent attraction that I could confidently call a home run. There have been a few good attractions after it, but with each I could easily point out flaws that ToT doesn't have.

gobstoper27

Another vote here for Tower of Terror! Pure perfection in every way. And, might I add, a ride that doesn't lose its luster if something (inevitably) goes out of whack. Brilliant design. When the in-ride photos don't work, or the sound doesn't synch properly, it's not as bad as something like Disco Yeti or a down AA.

7DMT isn't a home run - it's a stand-up double for sure. Maybe even a triple, based on an error in the outfield. But not a homer.
Love the baseball analogy!!

gobstoper27

Tower of Terror hands down, all day everyday. Not sure what I love the most, the theming or the actual ride itself. This is one ride where I don't mind standing in a bit of a line just so I can take in all the amazingly authentic details!!! The queue for Midway Mania is pretty awesome as well, way better than what I remember at Disneyland. Reflecting on this question, I really think I enjoy the queues a lot more than some of the actual rides, some are just way too short, like a tease! Don't get me wrong, some of the attractions are decent, but the queues (Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, ToT, Everest) make it a better experience for me.

cindy_k

I wish Disney would offer a 'Green' version of ToT. I love the ride, right up to where it starts dropping you. I am not a thrill ride person, and I really don't like getting dropped. :cyclops: I would ride it all the time if it had a tame drop option. :p

s8film40

I wish Disney would offer a 'Green' version of ToT. I love the ride, right up to where it starts dropping you. I am not a thrill ride person, and I really don't like getting dropped. :cyclops: I would ride it all the time if it had a tame drop option. :p
You know that's a really great idea! Since they obviously have the ability to change the elevator programming I assume it's possible. It could go at regular elevator speeds maybe slightly faster and possibly do the shaking parts. I've been many times with people who can't/won't do drop rides and I feel bad that they miss out on a great attraction.

surfsupdon

Tower of Terror was the last wow moment I had at WDW. Other more recent attractions have been impressive, have been fun, have had creative elements, and have repeat ride ability, but the ToT makes them all pale in comparison...it is just so immersive and really well done. I can't find any cut corners...it is just so great.

Don't hate, but the last fully immersive, "awe"some ride I went on was Forbidden Journey at Universal. Loved the entire experience.

copcarguyp71

The last thing that wowed me and I felt like a real effort was put forth both in imagineering and money was the queue for VOTLM...the ride itself not so much but the queue was definitely an effort well made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom