Largest attendance @ DHS in 5 years

ToTBellHop

It sure makes sense to me... keep the tram tour and add a Star Wars scene sfx show.

Replace wizard of oz with Star Wars for
Great Movie Ride finale finally put in the
Full Fantasia scene. (And other general sprucing up).

And you’d still have the backlot for Osborn lights, lights motors and the extra theatre they tore down. And you’d still have the expansion option by Star Tours.

That would have been like.... a quarter of galaxies edge budget? And would have probably brought in as many people. I mean sure we wouldn’t have those pretty rocks to look at.....
Because why be ambitious?

How about update GMR, build MMRR in Animation Courtyard, keep existing rides, and build SWGE over Indy and into the parking lot (while building parking garage) with two rides and a stunt show.

Disney didn’t buy Star Wars to add a scene to the BLT. Same with Marvel.

Lilofan

How about update GMR, build MMRR in Animation Courtyard, keep existing rides, and build SWGE over Indy and into the parking lot (while building parking garage) with two rides and a stunt show.

Pretty sure GMR is no longer but are the handprints still there in front of the attraction?

mikejs78

Premium Member

Eh, I really think Backlot was a shell of its former self, and that LMA was not a compelling repeat show, so I don't mind that they replaced those. I'd rather have had those gone and keep Indy, tbh.

On GMR being updated and putting MMRR into animation courtyard, and having a stunt show in Galaxy's Edge, I'm in complete agreement.

BoarderPhreak

Epcot attendance was still a bit light yesterday. Today though, the Festival of the Holidays officially kicks off, so... Crazy time!

Also at MK, every ride worth doing is FP'ed out. Nothing available. Good thing they're open until 12am. EMH is now (8am) to 9am.

Kman101

Eh, I really think Backlot was a shell of its former self, and that LMA was not a compelling repeat show, so I don't mind that they replaced those. I'd rather have had those gone and keep Indy, tbh.

On GMR being updated and putting MMRR into animation courtyard, and having a stunt show in Galaxy's Edge, I'm in complete agreement.

I agree on Backlot and LMA.

Would it maybe have been preferable to see a total upgrade to Backlot and LMA replaced with say Cars Land? Sure. I'd take it. But the Backlot was a shell of it's former self. It was time to move on. I know that's not a popular statement but that's coming from someone who LOVED MGM as a kid. ADORED IT. Started my love for film, introduced me to lots of classics. I hold a really special place in my heart for MGM Studios.

I do think they could have better utilized space, put GE where the hotel is going, expand Indy, put Cars Land where LMA was (it just felt meant to be, but alas ...) ... would also like to see some more small improvements. I wish they'd have gone a bit more all in like they're doing with Epcot but the bones of DHS are fine. It just needs better expansion. It *still* needs more things to do, and while I love all of the stage shows, they're very very tired. Very tired. As is Fantastmic. It's just still a tired park with two new lands that gave us two attractions each. Also to be fair I guess, we also got McQueen's Racing Academy.

And they 100% should have built Mickey elsewhere. GMR could have been changed and upgraded to pay homage to the Studios park, or something along those line. They could have even just slapped the Muppets inside to parody everything and call it a day.

In a park that NEEDS EXPANSION, they shouldn't be replacing anything (so that's why I can understand where some are coming from ... we basically swapped things) except the stage shows right now. IMO. * However, I'm a hypocrite because I'd accept and welcome a change to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I agree on Backlot and LMA.

Would it maybe have been preferable to see a total upgrade to Backlot and LMA replaced with say Cars Land? Sure. I'd take it. But the Backlot was a shell of it's former self. It was time to move on. I know that's not a popular statement but that's coming from someone who LOVED MGM as a kid. ADORED IT. Started my love for film, introduced me to lots of classics. I hold a really special place in my heart for MGM Studios.

I do think they could have better utilized space, put GE where the hotel is going, expand Indy, put Cars Land where LMA was (it just felt meant to be, but alas ...) ... would also like to see some more small improvements. I wish they'd have gone a bit more all in like they're doing with Epcot but the bones of DHS are fine. It just needs better expansion. It *still* needs more things to do, and while I love all of the stage shows, they're very very tired. Very tired. As is Fantastmic. It's just still a tired park with two new lands that gave us two attractions each.

And they 100% should have built Mickey elsewhere. GMR could have been changed and upgraded to pay homage to the Studios park, or something along those line. They could have even just slapped the Muppets inside to parody everything and call it a day. In a park that NEEDS EXPANSION, they shouldn't be replacing anything except the stage shows.
It would have taken real Imagineers to see that potential... as for today's Imagineering, we get Little Mermaid, Meet-n-Greet castles, copies of French rides and carousels with screens.

Kman101

It would have taken real Imagineers to see that potential... as for today's Imagineering, we get Little Mermaid, Meet-n-Greet castles, copies of French rides and carousels with screens.

Imagineers still have what it takes. Look at Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast attraction. I also have no doubt Tangled will be just as good. But it helps to have OLC foot the overpriced bill. I don't blame them. Look at the ambitious Rise of the Resistance attraction. They can still do it.

I blame who tells them they to give us subpar experiences. Look at the static scenes cut from Slinky. They actually designed us a decent TSL and it was butchered.

Imagine coming up with say, a fantastic journey of water walk through. Now they have to add Moana. It waters down the original intent. The imagineers should be better allowed to do their job.

That said, there's many imagineers who do miss the mark. And I don't think the depth they used to give us is there, if that makes sense. The package is pretty but the inside is ... well ... "good enough"

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Y'all need to take the LMA and GMR revamp discussions over to the Imagineer forum because they both haven been completely removed and exists only in Yesterland.

bstiles

They need to continually add instead of replace, yes if that show or attraction is not withstanding time please replace but to constantly add more bodies to the theme parks and not Continually expand, their will eventually be a tipping point where you are only getting to see a handful of attractions because You are waiting in line all day. Not that you aren’t waiting in line now but I think you know what I mean.

ImperfectPixie

They need to continually add instead of replace, yes if that show or attraction is not withstanding time please replace but to constantly add more bodies to the theme parks and not Continually expand, their will eventually be a tipping point where you are only getting to see a handful of attractions because You are waiting in line all day. Not that you aren’t waiting in line now but I think you know what I mean.
When there's more than an hour wait for many attractions unless you have a FP, I think we've already reached the tipping point.

TrainsOfDisney

MMRR should have definitely gone into animation courtyard... not that animation courtyard should still be a thing (here’s where the last animated movies were made before everyone got laid off... want to see a little mermaid puppet show from the 80’s or dance to modern pop songs with Playhouse Disney characters? Neither? We thought so... enjoy the Star Wars gift shop and photo op.

I get your point though... it’s not that the studio tour alone was worth saving.... but when I think of all that we lost for what we have gained.... it seems pretty eh.

ToTBellHop

MMRR should have definitely gone into animation courtyard... not that animation courtyard should still be a thing (here’s where the last animated movies were made before everyone got laid off... want to see a little mermaid puppet show from the 80’s or dance to modern pop songs with Playhouse Disney characters? Neither? We thought so... enjoy the Star Wars gift shop and photo op.

I get your point though... it’s not that the studio tour alone was worth saving.... but when I think of all that we lost for what we have gained.... it seems pretty eh.
Oh the BLT sucked as it was. But it could have been updated like they do at Universal Hollywood. As a ride concept, it still could have worked. I never cared for LMA but a retheme could have worked. Otherwise, remove just it and build a ride in its place.

In an ideal world, build MMRR where Launch Bay is, TSL as is, Cars Land at the back of the park, and SWGE on the parking lot, but I recognize the cost would have been extreme. So back on earth where beggars can’t be choosers, I simply question the decision not to repurpose more. In a park with relatively few rides, they should have added new ones, not just replaced. Somehow Disneyland, which supposedly has no space, will add MFSR, RotR, and MMRR without any significant removals while DHS, with its “blessing of size” has to remove GMR, LMA, and Catastrophe Canyon to do so?

TrainsOfDisney

Oh the BLT sucked as it was. But it could have been updated like they do at Universal Hollywood. As a ride concept, it still could have worked. I never cared for LMA but a retheme could have worked. Otherwise, remove just it and build a ride in its place.

In an ideal world, build MMRR where Launch Bay is, TSL as is, Cars Land at the back of the park, and SWGE on the parking lot, but I recognize the cost would have been extreme. So back on earth where beggars can’t be choosers, I simply question the decision not to repurpose more. In a park with relatively few rides, they should have added new ones, not just replaced. Somehow Disneyland, which supposedly has no space, will add MFSR, RotR, and MMRR without any significant removals while DHS, with its “blessing of size” has to remove GMR, LMA, and Catastrophe Canyon to do so?

Yeah we are on the same page. Even towards the end the backlot tour was still a fun experience. In my mind I’m imagining a massive soundstage building where the trams could be dropped into the middle of a Star Wars battle of some sort. That would be in addition to a Star Wars Ride that could have been built next to Star Tours.

I didn’t personally love LMA but it seemed to fill up consistently and I’ve yet to see stunts of that level being performed regularly anywhere else.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This thread is not about Star Wars... it’s about DHS attendance. 5 years ago the studio tour, LMA, Backlot, and GMR existed.

Could have, should have, its all supposition especially when IP rented from another company was not relicensed. There is no magical clock that you can rewind, they are gone.

NearTheEars

I much prefer being engineer. Pilot is beyond stressful, no thanks. Never had that dream of piloting the Falcon so everyone else can have at it, lol.

And yeah, GE is not a ghost town ;) Maybe at Disneyland, where it didn't belong.

The ghost town thing is puzzling. Sure I've experienced it super crowded, light and in between but I haven't really seen a ghost town. Unless they only walked out of the tunnel, looked around and thought that was it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom