Lagoons, lakes, and sink holes

animator

Original Poster
Can someone confirm if I have my facts right. I've read conflicting reports on the various bodies of water at
WDW. If anyone has additional info, please elaborate!

• Seven Seas Lagoon is man made, not much more than 10 ft deep, and was created when the ground from
that area was used to raise the elevation of the Magic Kingdom site (and covering the utillidor).
• Bay Lake is and was natural, supposedly drew Walt Disney to that original 11 acre parcel, but was
complete drain and excavated and filled white sand, thus turning the lake from brown to blue.
• World Showcase Lagoon was a sink hole, was turned into the lagoon, excavated ground was used to build a
continuous "mound" behind the pavilions, and there was some kind of gigantic tree stump in the middle of
the lagoon that couldn't be removed so they capped it and placed sand over it.

DisneyPhD

You're heard right about bay lake and seven seas lagoon (MK is the "second floor"). Bay lake was dredged to remove seaweed and silt. Underneath all the muck, they found a bunch of white sand that now lines parts of the two lakes.

I havn't heard anything about the world showcase lagoon. I would think a carefully placed stick (or two) of dynamite would take care of any tree stump. :animwink:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The world showcase lagoon also serves as a run-off area for some of the buildings in Epcot....most notably Spaceship Earth. Water is channeled from the sides of the sphere into the lake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom