Lady and the Tramp remake to launch with Disney Streaming Service

Magenta Panther

Lady and the Tramp is a gorgeous movie, like an animated painting. One of the many remarkable things about it is how authentically the dogs move. The Disney animators' ability to capture real dog movement with pencil and paper was an artistic triumph. There's no way any CGI-enhanced real dogs can compare with it. Feh on this remake.

NateD1226

TheDisInsider news:
ED4C13C8-8786-4917-8408-2A3D0C2CD980.png

LittleBuford

"Revamp" the Siamese Cat Song? Who the HELL would be offended by that song, except idiots?

And to think that some people here were upset with me for defending Dumbo's crows. When people start finding offense where none was meant, and their outrage is taken too seriously, it's a dangerously slippery slope. Do you see now what that kind of overweening sensitivity leads to? MORE overweening sensitivity! Now we can't even call cats Siamese and make them act Oriental in movies, because that's an insult to Asians, or something.

Pretty soon ANY hint of any kind of human ethnicity portrayed by animal characters in films will be banned. Speaking of which, what about the other "ethnic" animals in the original Lady and the Tramp? What about the Chihuahua with a Mexican accent? What about the Dachsund's German? And oh my God, what about Boris, whose accent is *gasp* RUSSIAN?

Christ, when will this deranged PC insanity end?

What an overreaction! It’s a reboot—of course it’s going to reflect modern-day sensibilities. If you don’t like it, just watch the original version.

Magenta Panther

What an overreaction! It’s a reboot—of course it’s going to reflect modern-day sensibilities. If you don’t like it, just watch the original version.

Sure, pal. NEXT UP: Country Bear Jamboree gets closed down for its offensive portrayal of rural citizenry by fat stupid hillbilly bears!

LittleBuford

Sure, pal. NEXT UP: Country Bear Jamboree gets closed down for its offensive portrayal of rural citizenry by fat stupid hillbilly bears!

Times change. I wouldn't be at all surprised if my beloved Country Bears were retired, not because they're offensive, but because people just aren't as into them as they used to be.

But leaving all that aside, your analogy doesn't work. The original Lady and the Tramp, with its original music, is still there. Nothing is being taken away from you, and no-one is forcing you to watch the reboot.

Magenta Panther

Times change. I wouldn't be at all surprised if my beloved Country Bears were retired, not because they're offensive, but because people just aren't as into them as they used to be.

But leaving all that aside, your analogy doesn't work. The original Lady and the Tramp, with its original music, is still there. Nothing is being taken away from you, and no-one is forcing you to watch the reboot.

Of course my analogy works. Closing the Bears show because of PC would be as stupid as removing the Siamese Cat Song because of PC. Neither makes any sense to people WITH sense.

And the fact that I don't have to watch the reboot doesn't mean I don't get to express my opinion of its producer's stupid decisions. The assertion that the song is "problematic" is an attack on the original. It's tantamount to saying that Peggy Lee was a racist. Which of course is BS. If you're comfortable with manufactured holier-than-thou retro-outrage, fine. I'm not. And BTW, nobody is forcing you to read my posts.

LittleBuford

And the fact that I don't have to watch the reboot doesn't mean I don't get to express my opinion of its producer's stupid decisions.

I never said anything to the contrary. You're free to voice your opinions, and I'm free to disagree with them. That's generally how things work in a forum.

The assertion that the song is "problematic" is an attack on the original. It's tantamount to saying that Peggy Lee was a racist.

Nope. It's acknowledging that attitudes may have changed in the 64 years since the film was released. Or are you really going to pretend that everything that was said and done in the mid-1950s is unremarkable by today's standards?

And BTW, nobody is forcing you to read my posts.

I didn't complain about having to read your posts, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to say this. To repeat what I wrote above: "You're free to voice your opinions, and I'm free to disagree with them. That's generally how things work in a forum."

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom