Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

HM Spectre

It’s a simple supply and demand problem.

Demand had exceeded supply which in theory supported higher prices. A good executive would’ve seen that and found a way to increase supply (capacity) while keeping prices the same… since they were at a level where they were perceived as a decent value. A bad/lazy executive like Chapek sees that and jacks up prices.

The problem is that jacking up prices drives demand down. As does cost cutting to diminish the experience. And when you do it to this extent this blatantly and quickly, you set yourself up for a bad surprise because people realize you’re trying to pull a fast one.

I look forward to what comes eventually… either they have to cut prices or they have to do something to increase demand. Both of which are good for customers but not so much for the guys in the executive suite who have to explain things to the board.

Casper Gutman

Took a day out of Disney to make a visit to Universal today since I hadn't been in years, and wow. I appreciate the WDW Cast Members even more than I had before.

The team and staff at Universal are terrible. Almost everywhere I went maybe only 1 or 2 even seemed happy to be there. Only one lady was kind. The staff at Universal don't even seem to like each other after witnessing one in a shop asking another for assistance and the snap back. Honestly makes me not even want to come back to Universal despite my love for many of the properties here. Miserable workers.

I understand many are not happy with Disney World right now, many points valid, but for me STILL nothing compares to them and the magic is still alive in more areas than not.
I have spent significant time at both resorts recently, and this is completely counter to my own experience. Both resorts’ cast is, on the whole, friendly and professional, but WDW staff featured far more folks who were snappish, bored, or unhappy while Unis featured more who exceeded my expectations in a positive way. At WDW, the cast at EPCOT was particularly uneven (and AKs particularly strong). The excellence of Unis staff and the spotiness of WDWs has been my experience for several years now.

Ayla

Just looking at the fulltime housekeeping requirements schedule alone would make me look for other work: "Full Time requires full availability for any shift, seven (7) days per week, including nights, weekends, and holidays"
Previous experience preferred "Previous housekeeping responsibilities for 14-18 rooms a day" that seems like alot of rooms.
For the pittance they're offering? Not a chance.

ImperfectPixie

You would fall into a pretty consistent schedule quickly, just might not be your preferred days times, but it’s not going to change drastically each week
Consistency is the most important thing here. Note my anecdote about my husband...every now and then he has to pull an overnight shift and it messes him up in a big way...both in his paycheck and his sleeping.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yep its been ongoing for some time. If anyone is interested, details below

Pretty soon the entire Disney experience will be App based. Everything from food to hotel to shopping will have no human intervention whatsoever.

I mean it's not like Cast Members contribute to the overall magic of your trip. They can easily be replaced by an App.

Cesar R M

Took a day out of Disney to make a visit to Universal today since I hadn't been in years, and wow. I appreciate the WDW Cast Members even more than I had before.

The team and staff at Universal are terrible. Almost everywhere I went maybe only 1 or 2 even seemed happy to be there. Only one lady was kind. The staff at Universal don't even seem to like each other after witnessing one in a shop asking another for assistance and the snap back. Honestly makes me not even want to come back to Universal despite my love for many of the properties here. Miserable workers.

I understand many are not happy with Disney World right now, many points valid, but for me STILL nothing compares to them and the magic is still alive in more areas than not.
Considering something like that never happened. And how many times they confused me for a photophass member. Id say I hope you actually were talking to real cast members and not people you confused XD

But I somewhat agree.

Disney cast members right now look overworked and not many look exactly happy.
Most of the staff handling the cavalcades and attractions seemed to be the most happy. With the vendors being the most :|

Probably they seen some real sh...t with these crazy 50th shoppers.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I have spent significant time at both resorts recently, and this is completely counter to my own experience. Both resorts’ cast is, on the whole, friendly and professional, but WDW staff featured far more folks who were snappish, bored, or unhappy while Unis featured more who exceeded my expectations in a positive way. At WDW, the cast at EPCOT was particularly uneven (and AKs particularly strong). The excellence of Unis staff and the spotiness of WDWs has been my experience for several years now.

As an AP and frequent visitor to both. I'm going to go out on a limb and say morale is a bit better at Uni right now than it is at Disney. That being the case, the interaction with - seems to follow that pattern. Right now the staff at Legoland is giving Disney a run for their money.

Cesar R M

LOL, lets be realistic on this. No one high up in the company starts their Disney career in the parks.

People would have much better opportunities to look at other companies.

I've worked for Six Flags before and sadly a few people I worked with are still there 10+ years later, and in the same spots too.
Not all the people would want to get to executive levels.
I've known people who love to perform and want to stay that way.
Its like being captain of the enterprise.. everyone thinks its a huge mistake to lose their ships to sit in an admiral chair in some boring starbase.

mightynine

It’s a simple supply and demand problem.

Demand had exceeded supply which in theory supported higher prices. A good executive would’ve seen that and found a way to increase supply (capacity) while keeping prices the same… since they were at a level where they were perceived as a decent value. A bad/lazy executive like Chapek sees that and jacks up prices.

The problem is that jacking up prices drives demand down. As does cost cutting to diminish the experience. And when you do it to this extent this blatantly and quickly, you set yourself up for a bad surprise because people realize you’re trying to pull a fast one.

I look forward to what comes eventually… either they have to cut prices or they have to do something to increase demand. Both of which are good for customers but not so much for the guys in the executive suite who have to explain things to the board.
I'm expecting that if attendance truly slips, you'll see "Genie+ included" offers on resort stays. I doubt they'll give away the Dining Plan ever again.

Unless they are really tone-deaf and offer "X months of Disney+ included at no extra charge with your resort stay!"

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm expecting that if attendance truly slips, you'll see "Genie+ included" offers on resort stays. I doubt they'll give away the Dining Plan ever again.

Unless they are really tone-deaf and offer "X months of Disney+ included at no extra charge with your resort stay!"

How did you know that “Offer 3 month complimentary Disney+ subscription“ was #1 on Chapek’s “Disgruntled Guest Retention Strategies” list? 😉

Could Genie+ become a comp item for unhappy park consumers? Possibly. Not sure how likely it is, though.

mikejs78

Premium Member
How did you know that “Offer 3 month complimentary Disney+ subscription“ was #1 on Chapek’s “Disgruntled Guest Retention Strategies” list? 😉

Could Genie+ become a comp item for unhappy park consumers? Possibly. Not sure how likely it is, though.
They'll probably continue with the practice of an anytime LL Access. So you don't get G+, You basically get one lightning lane access.

Ayla

Good god, I hope not. I had it free for a year and canceled it because the only thing I watched was the behind the scenes shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom