Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

Brian

I doubt those days are gone. Such a rise is simply a necessarily exceptional story. To begin with, there are very few positions at the top of the hierarchy, and chances are low that someone will have started at the bottom, stayed with the company for such a long time, and demonstrated the ambition and aptitude necessary to move beyond maxing out at manager or director of their focus area.
I'd say it's much harder/damned near impossible these days because so many of the middle management positions that lead to executive level potential are being posted externally, further decreasing the opportunity for internal talent to "rise up the ranks."

In my final years working for the company, I saw far too many great people being passed up for advancement opportunities in favor of external candidates. In some cases, the external candidates were similarly very well qualified (others were not), but I can't think of any roles where I would give the job to an external candidate when there's a similarly qualified internal candidate who already knows the company and has proven their worth.

Lilofan

I doubt those days are gone. Such a rise is simply a necessarily exceptional story. To begin with, there are very few positions at the top of the hierarchy, and chances are low that someone will have started at the bottom, stayed with the company for such a long time, and demonstrated the ambition and aptitude necessary to move beyond maxing out at manager or director of their focus area.
George Kalogridis is a success story, from busboy moving into mgt years later , to exec working in FL, CA and Paris. He was also honored for his achievements with a window in Main Street , MK.

celluloid

4th largest, UOR is 5th

That is why I said lots instead of lot. Surface lots combined. And much less walking by design at Universal since it is a garage with people movers. So it should not even be in the equation as they are still providing a people moving service referenced.

Rescue Ranger

Took a day out of Disney to make a visit to Universal today since I hadn't been in years, and wow. I appreciate the WDW Cast Members even more than I had before.

The team and staff at Universal are terrible. Almost everywhere I went maybe only 1 or 2 even seemed happy to be there. Only one lady was kind. The staff at Universal don't even seem to like each other after witnessing one in a shop asking another for assistance and the snap back. Honestly makes me not even want to come back to Universal despite my love for many of the properties here. Miserable workers.

I understand many are not happy with Disney World right now, many points valid, but for me STILL nothing compares to them and the magic is still alive in more areas than not.

celluloid

I doubt he's any less of a bumbler in private. The only way he's more persuasive elsewhere is if he just wields a machete wildly until everyone agrees out of desperation.

And maybe, just maybe, the Boss man Iger likes the quick rich moves the most and when they don't work he let's Chappie take the hit.

celluloid

Took a day out of Disney to make a visit to Universal today since I hadn't been in years, and wow. I appreciate the WDW Cast Members even more than I had before.

The team and staff at Universal are terrible. Almost everywhere I went maybe only 1 or 2 even seemed happy to be there. Only one lady was kind. The staff at Universal don't even seem to like each other after witnessing one in a shop asking another for assistance and the snap back. Honestly makes me not even want to come back to Universal despite my love for many of the properties here. Miserable workers.

I understand many are not happy with Disney World right now, many points valid, but for me STILL nothing compares to them and the magic is still alive in more areas than not.

Strange. I found the opposite to be true.

Lilofan

Universal staff attitudes compared to Disney cast is no comparison. It is like night and day.

Missing20K

I doubt he's any less of a bumbler in private. The only way he's more persuasive elsewhere is if he just wields a machete wildly until everyone agrees out of desperation.
king arthur strength GIF by Disney

The Stone was supposed to HODL.

Piebald

There is a nice story on the longest tenured cast member in parks. Oscar Martinez was hired as a busboy in DL in 1956 and he retired in 2017 as a chef at Carnation Cafe. He recalled memories of seeing Walt in the park .
Disney seems incredibly hard to pull this off at nowadays. They have tons of dinosaurs standing in the way of bright intelligent young people.

Universal is more contemporary with their line of thinking and promotes much younger folks. Granted it's much newer than Disney locally but still. I have a friend who went from gift shop employee to a director in a finance department. That's almost unheard of at Disney unless they went from gift shop to professional intern and left the company then happened to come back years later with a stellar resume and plans of being paid below market.

Lilofan

Disney seems incredibly hard to pull this off at nowadays. They have tons of dinosaurs standing in the way of bright intelligent young people.

Universal is more contemporary with their line of thinking and promotes much younger folks. Granted it's much newer than Disney locally but still. I have a friend who went from gift shop employee to a director in a finance department. That's almost unheard of at Disney unless they went from gift shop to professional intern and left the company then happened to come back years later with a stellar resume and plans of being paid below market.
WDW and UO both have paths for staff to move up. There is always going to be that argument ( hiring from the outside for mtg and exec level , bypassing current staff for promotion , younger with no experience managing older experienced staff etc etc ). Those stories will never stop being told.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

I'm a UOAP and have never witnessed that behavior. I've actually seen worse behavior out of the CPs, especially at EPCOT, lately.

Lilofan

LOL, lets be realistic on this. No one high up in the company starts their Disney career in the parks.

People would have much better opportunities to look at other companies.

I've worked for Six Flags before and sadly a few people I worked with are still there 10+ years later, and in the same spots too.
I never said no one high up comes from parks but mtg and execs ( not all ) if you refuse to believe, get promoted from within and do rise up the food chain. You probably never heard of Al Weiss , George Kalogridis, Phil Holmes who started as teenagers in the early 1970s. What is "sadly"? I've known waiters in places that are in the same position for many years earning more annually than their salaried bosses.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom