Labor cost cutting measures begin at Walt Disney World as the company enters Q1

ToTBellHop

Excellent point…and how it was going to be.
The “it’s luxury now” was always a pipe dream. More indicative of the economics of a decade of insanity that just ended than some type of well reasoned business plan
I realize I was young, but back in the ‘90s, the Grand seemed legitimately luxurious. Now…meh. I do like the Christmas gingerbread house.

Sir_Cliff

I disagree - I think they can do that, they've just chosen to try to go exclusively after the higher end market, which may or may not be profitable in the short term but is catastrophic for the long term.
I agree with this. I think there is a market for a deluxe version of the WDW experience, such as deluxe resorts that actually fit the name, top quality restaurants, and, yes, some uncharge experiences like dinner packages with preferred viewing for shows. Disney's position at the moment seems to be quite openly that they've been giving us all too much for too little all these years, so we're in this weird moment where they are raising the prices to levels that freeze most people out while working on providing a product that isn't really deluxe.

Lilofan

Yes. It’s been quite a decline at the same time as true luxury brands have arrived. When the competition was dives in Kissimmee, Disney was the clear king.
Four Seasons, Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott right in the area of WDW, why would a monied family go back to the Grand unless they like a nostalgic hotel. Can't listen and see the GF orchestra since they were part of the big layoffs.

Lora Baines Bradley

If anyone thinks that the overall hospitality tourism job in America is a key to financial sucess, there is a bridge for sale. When one accepts a job, they agree to their wages.
Disney makes (or at least made) a big point about CMs who stayed with the company for many years, or for “famous” CMs responsible for creating a lot of guest magic. I don’t think they’re attracting those people anymore, which is my larger point

Yes, when you take a job you agree to the wages. I never mentioned pay (I don’t think I did, anyway) as part of why people are leaving. I think work/life balance and respect from guests/employer are two huge drivers of why people are leaving the industry.

So, you say people agree to the terms of employment when they’re employed. Which is fine and dandy, but looks a bit silly when you (general you) are then complaining that people don’t want to take those jobs and you can’t get full housekeeping service at your DVC suite.

This is a very good article citing a lot of what I’m seeing as of late:

ToTBellHop

I agree with this. I think there is a market for a deluxe version of the WDW experience, such as deluxe resorts that actually fit the name, top quality restaurants, and, yes, some uncharge experiences like dinner packages with preferred viewing for shows. Disney's position at the moment seems to be quite openly that they've been giving us all too much for too little all these years, so we're in this weird moment where they are mostly raising the prices to levels that freeze most people out while working on providing a product that isn't really deluxe.
Where does the money go? At the rates they charge for a deluxe, it shouldn’t be a problem to provide a premium experience. They don’t even have a juggler at the BoardWalk, yet! C’mon! I’m DVC, but if I were paying cash, I’d be livid.

Those special touches are a huge part of the Magic and why people return. I’ll never forget watching my kids doing a drum show at AKL or playing Go Fish with Captain Hook at BLT. Bring that back STAT.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I disagree - I think they can do that, they've just chosen to try to go exclusively after the higher end market, which may or may not be profitable in the short term but is catastrophic for the long term.
We can disagree.

I can only speak for the US…but the reality is that we are - as a whole - not “gaining wealth”…we are taking on more liability and living for the moment. That has a price in crisis…it knocks more and more out of the potential Disney customer base each time an eruption occurs. The plane has to continue to climb and therefore needs unlimited “fuel”…as if were.

I never had that much of an interest in economic theory prior to the housing crash…but started consuming it in the aftermath (when I wasn’t on the DIS 🤪)…
…what’s happened since is in no way indicative of a sustainable system. It’s a house made of jacks and aces…again.

that makes the Bob’s blue ocean/scorched earth unsustainable for the Walt Disney Company

…I know what you’re thinking: FREE DINING on deck 🍔🥙🍗

Lilofan

Disney makes (or at least made) a big point about CMs who stayed with the company for many years, or for “famous” CMs responsible for creating a lot of guest magic. I don’t think they’re attracting those people anymore, which is my larger point

Yes, when you take a job you agree to the wages. I never mentioned pay (I don’t think I did, anyway) as part of why people are leaving. I think work/life balance and respect from guests/employer are two huge drivers of why people are leaving the industry.

So, you say people agree to the terms of employment when they’re employed. Which is fine and dandy, but looks a bit silly when you (general you) are then complaining that people don’t want to take those jobs and you can’t get full housekeeping service at your DVC suite.
People take jobs when they agree to the wages. I'm not complaining about DVC housekeeping service but when DVC or any guest in other Disney hotels stay there they can view what the hotel is offering ( ie cleaning services ).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I realize I was young, but back in the ‘90s, the Grand seemed legitimately luxurious. Now…meh. I do like the Christmas gingerbread house.
I am from the age bracket that has been told to blame the 80’s for all the imbalance that causes the levels of visceral anger we see on the street and over cyberspace 24 hours a day now…
…but the 90s amplified all that.
The Four Seasons Orlando at WDW makes the Grand look like a Sheraton.
Which is why it was built. Disney has no interest in paying to provide “luxury”…it costs money. Nobody believed me then or now. But I’m still on this hill.

Lilofan

That is their stated plan. They haven’t hid it.

the deal there is people can veto that with their wallets and habits.

I swear…this is like a cutting edge idea
Disney could go after the segment of the population that is discreet and non flaunting - the stealth wealth crowd.

Disstevefan1

Not catastrophic because TWDC is invincible. The pandemic proved that.

sullyinMT

We can disagree.

I can only speak for the US…but the reality is that we are - as a whole - not “gaining wealth”…we are taking on more liability and living for the moment. That has a price in crisis…it knocks more and more out of the potential Disney customer base each time an eruption occurs. The plane has to continue to climb and therefore needs unlimited “fuel”…as if were.

[…]
As a member of a straddle generation (I’m either a young X’er or an old Millennial), my friends range across both groups. And we have a whole slew of friends that have spent oodles of credit acquiring “experiences” while throwing caution to the wind regarding any kind of plan for aging. They are now in full panic mode, living paycheck to paycheck to settle debts on $200k total combined incomes.

Not to toot our own horn, but we’ve done it the “old fashioned” way, living within our means, and are now ready to enjoy our 40s and beyond - capable of selectively adding the upsells wherever we go but enjoying without burdening ourselves.

Turns out our grandparents were right.

I know Disney will blame covid for the smaller than expected crowds but I think there is more going on here than they maybe even want to recognize or acknowledge

I know several people, regular travelers, including myself, that just don’t have the same feel for Disney right now related to some of the recent trends, announcements, and direction and haven’t been going as often or at all and it has nothing to do with covid
Can confirm. Looked into having family go but the prices made us say no with the cut benefits. Specifically hotel prices. In my case I considered going down for a month at an extended stay pending if they made Fastpass paid or not, answer was no. It's not that I can't afford this, there's enough if I wanted in my budget to drop a few grand on a trip. It's just not worth it. Missing parades, missing shows, rides still not open, etc. Covid isn't an issue, we're fully vaccinated and mask up anyways.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom