Krank's May 17th - 23rd Rain Days at Universal and Disney

Day 1:

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

This is my 2nd trip report of 2009. The trip started out at Universal Orlando. After winning the Super Bowl promotion and much thought and consideration, I decided this was the best chance I had to actually use the free ticket. With that decision made, I logged onto Hotels.com and found a great deal on a hotel close to Universal. The Orlando Continental Plaza Hotel is right at the intersection of Universal Blvd. and International Drive. It isn't anything fancy, but at $35 it provided a nice, clean place to shower and sleep.

I hit the road on May 17th around 7:00 am after completing the drive, I arrived at my home base for the first 3 days of my trip. Once I got checked in and moved in, I made my way to Universal Orlando.

Once I had exchanged my voucher at the ticket booths, I entered Universal Studios Florida. My main goal for the day was to ride The Simpsons' Ride. I am a huge fan of the show and I had been anticipating this ride since it was announced. I must say that while it was enjoyable, it had me feel exactly like BTTF did...sick. Unfortunately, I do not foresee me riding the attraction again. After The Simpsons' Ride, I rode Revenge of The Mummy and made my way over to IOA. Once at IOA, I caught a ride on The Hulk, followed by Jurassic Park River Adventure, Dueling Dragons and The Amazing Adventure's of Spider-Man. It was now close to closing, but I made it over to Universal Studios and rode Revenge of The Mummy as the clouds began to role in.

After grabbing a quick bite, I headed to DtD to renew my AP. With a new AP in hand, I stepped out into the rain and headed to EPCOT. I didn't accomplish a whole lot but I did ride Soarin' and SSE. With my new Patriotic Figgy in hand, I made my way to my hotel for the night.

Selected pictures from Day 1:

DSCN2197.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2208.jpg

DSCN2210.jpg

DSCN2211.jpg

DSCN2212.jpg

DSCN2214.jpg

DSCN2215.jpg

DSCN2218.jpg

DSCN2230.jpg

krankenstein

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments p00ch and Evan! :wave:

Day 2 Uni, IOA, and MK:

I made it into Universal Studios right at rope drop on Monday. I quickly headed to MIB and walked right on. After MIB, I had awhile to wait until Disaster opened, which meant it was Mummy time! I probably rode it 3 times or so. Next up was Disaster. I was simply blown away by the Walken projection thing! It is really well done. After Disaster, I watched the first showing of The Horror Makeup Show. It still is one of the best stage show in any theme park. After another couple of rides on Mummy, I made my way to IOA via the "secret" exit.

At IOA, I rode Hulk (multiple times), Dr. Doom, Spiderman (multiple times), Popeye, JP (multiple times), and Dr. Seuss's Sky Trolly. After a delicious meal at Mythos, I made my way to the exit and headed back to my hotel b/c closing was coming.

I decided to head to MK for the evening. I really was surprised how much I got done with in about 3 hours times. I rode BTMRR (2 times), HM, Pirates, Philhar (2 times), and CoP.

The rain had really started to pick up at this point, so I made my way out of MK. It had been a cold, rainy day, but I still had a blast!

Selected Pictures:

DSCN2268.jpg

DSCN2269.jpg

DSCN2272.jpg

DSCN2274.jpg

RRR Construction:

DSCN2276.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2287.jpg

DSCN2288.jpg

disneygirl1

Loving the report! I went to Universal in Hollywood last April, and we just missed the opening of the Simpson's ride by a few days! I was so disappointed that I didn't get to ride it:-( Anyway, Mummy and Jurassic Park are awesome rides! Disney is still better! :lol:

krankenstein

Original Poster
Day 3 Uni, DHS:

On Tuesday I woke up to RAIN!!! This had to be one of the worse weather days I have ever experienced in Florida. I made my way to Universal Studios where I enjoyed a ride on MIB alone. Next up was a couple of spins on Mummy, followed my T2 and Shrek. I was planning on watching Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue, but the rain wouldn't let up. They eventually started the show, but after the first number decided to cancel for the performers safety.

I was soaked to the bone, so I made my way back to the hotel where I enjoyed some KFC for lunch and chilled for awhile. The rain eventually let up and I decided to head to DHS. On the way to DHS, the skies really opened up. :brick:

At DHS, I accomplished nothing. I grabbed a FP for TOT that I never used, watched Muppets and headed out of the park.

It was a crappy day to say the least. :dazzle:

I didn't take many pictures at all because of the rain, but here are a few I have:

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2336.jpg

DSCN2338.jpg

DSCN2341.jpg

DSCN2343.jpg

DSCN2345.jpg

Day 4 and the move to the All Stars will be next. :wave:

krankenstein

Original Poster
Day 4 The move to Sports, EPCOT, and MK:

I woke up early on Wednesday. I had pretty much packed everything the night before, which made the morning a lot easier. I quickly made my way out to my truck with all my belongings to start the actual Disney portion of my trip.

I made it to Sports before 8 and was told my room was ready at Sports! Once I had moved into room 7355 in Touchdown, I gathered what I needed and made it to EPCOT right around 9.

I quickly made my way to Soarin' for a FP and rode LWTL and watched Circle of Life (I love that film!!). Next, I visited Figgy, rode TT, and M:S. It was now time for Soarin' which was followed by SSE. At this point, I decided to head to MK for a bit.

After my monorail rides and transfer, I headed for BTMRR for a FP and caught the railroad around to MTTF/TL station. I got in a ride on CoP as the rain started to lightly fall. After CoP I made my way to Philhar. As I was coming out the rain was down pouring. I took off to IASW to stay out the ran, next I ran to HM.

At this point, the rain started to let off and I made my way to Pirates. The ride started off fine and all, but it quickly turned after the drop. Once at the bottom, the work lights popped on we eventually came to a stop. I was eventually evacuated after a 30 minute wait into a total downpour. I had a nice walk all the way around pirates building and under the train tracks. back to Adventureland.

At this point, I decided to head back to Sports for dinner and to dry out. After a bit of a break, I made my way back to MK where I rode Splash, Pirates, CBJ, and Philhar. I made my way to hub where I enjoyed Wishes in the light rain and made my way back out to the bus stop.

It was a good day, a wet one, but a good one.

Selected Pictures:

My offsite hotel:

DSCN2348.jpg

DSCN2353.jpg

DSCN2354.jpg

DSCN2357.jpg

DSCN2358.jpg

DSCN2355.jpg

DSCN2359.jpg

DSCN2362.jpg

DSCN2363.jpg

They were redoing the sand sculpture. I think the rain got to the original.:

DSCN2366.jpg

krankenstein

Original Poster
DSCN2374.jpg

DSCN2376.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

DSCN2379.jpg

DSCN2380.jpg

DSCN2382.jpg

DSCN2385.jpg

DSCN2387.jpg

TTA is all boarded up.:

DSCN2390.jpg

I liked how they still had Stitch on the screen even when the performers couldn't do the show b/c of the rain.:

DSCN2391.jpg

krankenstein

Original Poster
A lot of facade work going on around MK. In addition to the ones I have pictured below, they were also working on IASW and PVH:

DSCN2383.jpg

DSCN2384.jpg

DSCN2404.jpg

DSCN2405.jpg

DSCN2407.jpg

DSCN2413.jpg

That'll do it for Day 4! Thanks to everyone for looking! :wave:

rbrower

Very nice Nick! :)
What kind of camera do you use? I'm looking at buying a new one, and it looks like your camera takes some great pictures. :)
Oh, and I'm glad that you still referred to me as pooch...:lookaroun
:lol:

susieqt83

Great trip report so far! I'm sooo jealous over all the solo trips you're able to take! Looking forward to more!

p.s. Thanks for posting the HP pics - I can't WAIT for it to open!

Beccone

Love your report so far, thanks for the Harry Potter pics. We were going to do Universal this year but I'm glad we are waiting because my kids love Harry Potter and we only do Universal every few years.

HollyBelle

Great review... I can't wait to read the rest. And good for you for not letting the rain deter you from having a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom