Kosher food in the parks is horrible

GinaD613

Original Poster
We arrived yesterday, and the kosher meals under the new caterer, Sterling, is an embarrassment. The previous caterer, Weberman, provided generous portions of tasty food. While we missed fresh food, we understood that there were no kosher kitchens, and we were okay with it.
This was off to a bad start with pizza for lunch at AS Movies food court. It consisted of a piece of thin flatbread or other crust, smeared with tomato sauce and covered with a slice of mozzarella cheese. This was placed in a small plastic tray, and per instructions to the chef on the package, microwaved.
Dinner, for which we had pre-ordered brisket, was served in the same size tray, with partitions for peas and carrots and a small piece of potato pudding. The vegetable soup was generous, but tasteless. Pareve (non-dairy) cheesecake was dessert. Had we not been on the DDP, we would have been charged $55/person, same as for the other diners at the Tusker House buffet.
Lunch at Cosmic Rays was two chicken fingers, with corn and two small potato pancakes, in the same size tray. My DH ordered the hot dog, which came in the same tray with two potato pancakes, but no bun.
We had the salmon dinner at Skippers Canteen. I’ve attached a photo. The tray looks larger in the photo than IRL. No soup, but pareve cheesecake for dessert.
For breakfast I had a cheese omelet at ASMovies. This came with potatoes and a side of mushrooms. The eggs did not survive microwaving well. Chef Janess felt sorry for me after I told her about the pizza, and she gave me a kosher ciabatta roll.
I understand the kosher consumer is an infinitesimal minority at WDW, but then all the more reason why it shouldn’t be all that expensive to give us some value for our dining dollars. I know Disney isn’t charging us a premium for kosher, as we see in the real world, but they are charging outrageous sums in general. My husband, who refuses to go on the rides, is having a terrible time.
7D6DE60A-2024-483C-96B5-E455272B8E21.jpeg

Hockey89

Something that's boggling my mind is that your husband wont get on any of the rides and yet he's having a terrible time....did he only go to Disney for the food? If not, what was the point of him even going?
I was going to ask the same thing.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
That looks worse than my lunches when I was in high school. I’m sorry, that is just sad. Disney is normally so good with implementing foods to meet all diets but they really need to work on Kosher.

Club Cooloholic

We arrived yesterday, and the kosher meals under the new caterer, Sterling, is an embarrassment. The previous caterer, Weberman, provided generous portions of tasty food. While we missed fresh food, we understood that there were no kosher kitchens, and we were okay with it.
This was off to a bad start with pizza for lunch at AS Movies food court. It consisted of a piece of thin flatbread or other crust, smeared with tomato sauce and covered with a slice of mozzarella cheese. This was placed in a small plastic tray, and per instructions to the chef on the package, microwaved.
Dinner, for which we had pre-ordered brisket, was served in the same size tray, with partitions for peas and carrots and a small piece of potato pudding. The vegetable soup was generous, but tasteless. Pareve (non-dairy) cheesecake was dessert. Had we not been on the DDP, we would have been charged $55/person, same as for the other diners at the Tusker House buffet.
Lunch at Cosmic Rays was two chicken fingers, with corn and two small potato pancakes, in the same size tray. My DH ordered the hot dog, which came in the same tray with two potato pancakes, but no bun.
We had the salmon dinner at Skippers Canteen. I’ve attached a photo. The tray looks larger in the photo than IRL. No soup, but pareve cheesecake for dessert.
For breakfast I had a cheese omelet at ASMovies. This came with potatoes and a side of mushrooms. The eggs did not survive microwaving well. Chef Janess felt sorry for me after I told her about the pizza, and she gave me a kosher ciabatta roll.
I understand the kosher consumer is an infinitesimal minority at WDW, but then all the more reason why it shouldn’t be all that expensive to give us some value for our dining dollars. I know Disney isn’t charging us a premium for kosher, as we see in the real world, but they are charging outrageous sums in general. My husband, who refuses to go on the rides, is having a terrible time.View attachment 446525
That stinks Gina. I gotta admit, if your hubby hates rides, you were looking at an uphill climb for him to have a good time at WDW even if the food was above average n. Being at All Stars is probably not going to help that either since I have never heard of it described as "relaxing".
My suggestion, if you ever want to get him back to WDW, is to rent a DVC one bed(maybe split with another couple if you don't have kids), that way you can get a grocery delivery with Kosher foods and just fix them right there in a full kitchen and the resort will probably offer more for your husband to do outside the parks.
I also suggest writing to management. They would want to know guests are not happy with this new caterer.

GinaD613

Original Poster
Something that's boggling my mind is that your husband wont get on any of the rides and yet he's having a terrible time....did he only go to Disney for the food? If not, what was the point of him even going?
Hey, Dead2009 (are u a Deadhead? If so, cool!!!)

DH knows I’m a big Disney fan, and got us this vacay as a 20th anniversary present. He will go on “mild” rides and go to shows, but fast or unexpected movements bother him. He got upset over the beginning dip in PotC. But he loves the Yo Ho song.

He thinks of WDW as prison, since he doesn’t enjoy being immersed in the bubble. We compare the prices to food and souvenirs at Yankee Stadium, and he said tonight, after paying $55 for a sweatshirt, that it was like being trapped for 4 days in Yankee Stadium. I told him I was there for a doubleheader, and he reminded me I probably only spent like $3 for my ticket (yay Yankee email promos).

But he likes when I do Mickey’s voice. We have about four different mice: a small bean bag M, Mickey Mantle Mouse, Mickey Mets Mouse and Mickey Jets Mouse.

GinaD613

Original Poster
That stinks Gina. I gotta admit, if your hubby hates rides, you were looking at an uphill climb for him to have a good time at WDW even if the food was above average n. Being at All Stars is probably not going to help that either since I have never heard of it described as "relaxing".
My suggestion, if you ever want to get him back to WDW, is to rent a DVC one bed(maybe split with another couple if you don't have kids), that way you can get a grocery delivery with Kosher foods and just fix them right there in a full kitchen and the resort will probably offer more for your husband to do outside the parks.
I also suggest writing to management. They would want to know guests are not happy with this new caterer.
AS Movies is fine. No noise problems this week. He is tired from traveling and going straight to the park yesterday, and will not get up early, except possibly for DHS. Also, my asthma is out of control, and the coughing fits are getting to him.
Cooking in a non-kosher kitchen would be more complicated. We could simply stay outside the World, or rent a car to travel to the nearby kosher restaurants. But we have limited time down here, and travel is time consuming.

GinaD613

Original Poster
Speaking as someone who works in the hotel industry, do it now. Complaining while you're there tends, in my opinion, to be taken more seriously than when you're leaving as it looks as if you're only complaining to get a discount.
I’ve been speaking to the restaurant chefs. Please remind me of the email or phone number to use?

Jon81uk

I’ve been speaking to the restaurant chefs. Please remind me of the email or phone number to use?
Also if you are staying at a Disney resort talk to the front desk (in person), asking for the hotel manager if needed.
In person complaints almost always get a better response.

eliza61nyc

Please,please tell me you took that meal right back. Only because I too think that is totally unacceptable and coming from a family restaurateur a lot of times we get the message a lot better if the customer is there, in our face letting us know what the problem is. I think a lot is lost in an email.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom