Kona Cafe Switches up Dinner Menu

JohnD

Original Poster
The next time you are there simply ask for it. I know people who have and have gotten it as recently as last week. Marie

I guess it's not really complicated. Order the Polynesian Egg Platter. Ask that pancakes be added. Same thing.

wannabeBelle

I guess it's not really complicated. Order the Polynesian Egg Platter. Ask that pancakes be added. Same thing.
As they have all of the components to make it, I know they are still serving it. Not sure as to what the correct term is for the item, but I'm sure if you explain it you can get it, no problem! I am a Macadamia Nut/ Pineapple pancakes chick myself. Marie

JohnD

Original Poster
As they have all of the components to make it, I know they are still serving it. Not sure as to what the correct term is for the item, but I'm sure if you explain it you can get it, no problem! I am a Macadamia Nut/ Pineapple pancakes chick myself. Marie

Okay, you convinced me. I just made a breakfast reservation for my checkout day in May. I'll ask for the equivalent of the Big Kahuna. Still no interest in dinner based on this latest menu.

JohnD

Original Poster
Let's do a comparison, shall we? Simply put, Kona is way overpriced. It's not a steakhouse compared to the WDW steakhouses on property. Some steakhouses even have porterhouses that cost less than Kona.

Kona
Perfect Porterhouse Steak
8-oz Tenderloin and 14-oz New York Steak [22 oz], Roasted Bone Marrow, Sourdough Croutons, Loaded Bakers, Wedge Salad
$95.00

Shulas
24-ounce Porterhouse
$51.00

Yachtsmans
32-oz Porterhouse for Two
Beef Fat Potatoes, choice of One Steakhouse Side, Garlic Butter
$119.00

Le Cellier
Porterhouse Steak for Two
Crispy Onions, Loaded Boursin Mashed Potatoes, Maple-glazed Brussels Sprouts, Béarnaise Sauce, Au Poivre
$129.00

Boathouse
Porterhouse (28 ounce) for Two
$62.00

STK Orlando
Dry-Aged Porterhouse 28 oz. (for two)
$98.00

wannabeBelle

Let's do a comparison, shall we? Simply put, Kona is way overpriced. It's not a steakhouse compared to the WDW steakhouses on property. Some steakhouses even have porterhouses that cost less than Kona.

Kona
8-oz Tenderloin and 14-oz New York Steak [22 oz], Roasted Bone Marrow, Sourdough Croutons, Loaded Bakers, Wedge Salad
$95.00

Shulas
24-ounce Porterhouse
$51.00

Yachtsmans
$119.00

Le Cellier
Crispy Onions, Loaded Boursin Mashed Potatoes, Maple-glazed Brussels Sprouts, Béarnaise Sauce, Au Poivre
$129.00

Boathouse
$62.00

STK Orlando
$98.00
I havent been but I have heard AMAZING things about Shula's. Based on this listing, I'd certainly head on over there if a porterhouse was what I was wanting for dinner. Marie

JohnD

Original Poster
I havent been but I have heard AMAZING things about Shula's. Based on this listing, I'd certainly head on over there if a porterhouse was what I was wanting for dinner. Marie

I have one in my hometown. Very good. So when at WDW, I have no need to go. You won't be disappointed.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Kona
$95.00

Shulas
24-ounce Porterhouse
$51.00

Yachtsmans
$119.00

Le Cellier
$129.00

Boathouse
$62.00

STK Orlando
$98.00

Hmmm......I'm sensing a pattern here........

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Okay. So I ate there this past Friday.

Had the pot stickers, sushi sampler, DW had one of the Dashi Bowls (I can't remember which one)......I opted for the cheddar burger (wasn't keen on paying the steak prices for a place that's not exactly a steak house......I was scared). Add a couple of kid meals and some cocktails and my order was complete.

Pot Stickers - very good
Sushi sampler - good (I've had better...but it wasn't bad)
Dashi Bowl (based on a couple of samples and DW's opinion) - pretty good.
Cheddar Burger - okay (well, actually pretty good if you're comparison shopping between $20 Kona burger and a $15 burger at Cosmic Ray's)

Overall - Was okay. Don't think it's worth the prices and wasn't (and am still not) thrilled with the menu changes. Would I eat there again? Sure. But not on my top list of places. Maybe hit it again in a couple of years.

I am Timmy

The comments at Disney Food blog about the dinner pretty much match up with what is being said here. Meh.
OMG - I just checked out the article (thanks for that) and read in the dessert portion that there is no longer..... wait for it.... Kona Kone on the menu?! What the is going on?! Seriously, my DS will not want to go now. Everything we eat is officially gone. I loathe this menu.

Disorbust

So what I read is we dumbed down the dessert because they are included on the DDP, which make they value of the DDP even LESS!

I am Timmy

I looked at the updated menu on the DW website, looks like the Kona Kone is still on it. So, maybe a mistake? Or it's going to be removed? If anyone is eating there any time soon, can you please ask about the Kona Kone dessert? TIA!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom