Kona Cafe Switches up Dinner Menu

JohnD

Original Poster
The New York Strip is a Prime cut. The GF Cafe is not. That price is not out of line for a prime NY Strip at all.

That isn't the point. There is nothing unique about the menu. (Okay, you can get sushi.) But the entrees seem to be what you what get in a run of the mill steakhouse.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That isn't the point. There is nothing unique about the menu. (Okay, you can get sushi.) But the entrees seem to be what you what get in a run of the mill steakhouse.
I was only addressing your statement about the steak being pricey, not a comment on the entire menu. I will agree that is has been toned down a bit much from what it was. Maybe if enough complain that it's too pedestrian for the Poly, it will change a bit back the other direction. Also, you NEVER put ANY kind of sauce on a prime NY Steak. It just doesn't need the help. Just sayin'.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Please show me a grocery store that sells prime cuts where you can get a good prime cut of NY Strip for $9.99/lb. If you are only paying that, it ain't real prime beef. Most NY Strip that I've seen in different parts of the country are well over $20-30/lb for prime.

Uhh, you can get prime beef tenderloin for just over $20/lb at CostCo. I pay $11/lb for choice.

JohnD

Original Poster
I was only addressing your statement about the steak being pricey, not a comment on the entire menu. I will agree that is has been toned down a bit much from what it was. Maybe if enough complain that it's too pedestrian for the Poly, it will change a bit back the other direction. Also, you NEVER put ANY kind of sauce on a prime NY Steak. It just doesn't need the help. Just sayin'.

I agree to the point that a good steak is one that doesn't need anything on it. However, at Kona, there is something to be said for putting a Polynesian spin on it which doesn't seem to be the case here.

I'm bummed. I used to love eating at Kona, but their new menu is disappointing and way overpriced. And instead of a loaf of bread, they give you little rolls instead? :( The teriyaki sirloin was amazing but now there doesn't seem to be anything Polynesian themed. That sucks.

I am Timmy

What happened to the menu? Nothing we usually order is on the new menu! You can't even get steak at lunch any more? The lunch menu is a massive let down, and the steak and seafood entree section for dinner has no seafood. One salmon selection in a sea of steaks is not "seafood". Rubs head in frustration.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I agree to the point that a good steak is one that doesn't need anything on it. However, at Kona, there is something to be said for putting a Polynesian spin on it which doesn't seem to be the case here.
I do completely agree with you on that.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Your opinion.

No, fact. Sorry. By the way NY Strip is actually a sirloin cut.

Wm9Vj8u.jpg

T5CfkfF.jpg

Last edited:

Diablo

I was there late last week.
The steaks don’t really come with sides.
And the duck ramen i had was the only bad meal i had on the trip. The stock tasted like generic vegetable stock paste with a little Chinese spice & the noodles weren’t anything you really wanted to eat.
It may improve. I enjoyed it before.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I was there late last week.
The steaks don’t really come with sides.
And the duck ramen i had was the only bad meal i had on the trip. The stock tasted like generic vegetable stock paste with a little Chinese spice & the noodles weren’t anything you really wanted to eat.
It may improve. I enjoyed it before.

That doesn't sound good at all. Then again, I've been spoiled by Domu so I don't think I'd ever order a Ramen at WDW.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I said it was your opinion that it was “significantly” better, and many people would agree that it’s only an opinion. Many prefer the more flavorful cuts, and think those are superior to the tenderloin.

Ahh, gotcha. That's fair. :) I personally prefer rib eye if I'm looking for flavor. Prime rib eye was $9.99/lb whole today.

wannabeBelle

well this is interesting and not in a good way. I tend to be a very picky eater and not much on this menu would be great for me. At least with the old menu there were a few things I could pick from. They tried to change the breakfast menu not terribly long ago and there was such an outcry all of the changes were switched back, thankfully. Kona is one of my top breakfast locations. Marie

JohnD

Original Poster
well this is interesting and not in a good way. I tend to be a very picky eater and not much on this menu would be great for me. At least with the old menu there were a few things I could pick from. They tried to change the breakfast menu not terribly long ago and there was such an outcry all of the changes were switched back, thankfully. Kona is one of my top breakfast locations. Marie

Actually, not all. Still no Big Kahuna which pretty much had everything -- eggs, potatoes, bacon, pineapple pancakes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom