Kilimanjaro Safari- Poaching story line: Do you miss it ?

Dragonman

Original Poster
I was wondering if anyone misses the old version of Kilimanjaro Safari with the Big red/Lil red story ? I feel like it had a strong important message about poaching that should've stayed. Let's look back on the effects/props that were removed along with the story.

First up is Big red who was removed during early previews due to parent's complaints
350px-BigRed2.jpg

Next up we have the poachers camp which I believe was one of the last things that was removed
KilimanjaroSafaris67.jpg

Next up we have Wilson's plane
5d1702f8982e59b798d2fcb54fa385d7.jpg

Last up we have Lil Red who now resides backstage
KilimanjaroSafaris68.jpg

I am unable to find an image of the poacher's van/geysers that would run alongside you at one point or the shaking bridge (Which I believe still works).
Do you miss any of these or do you think the current version is fine without the poaching storyline ?

disneygeek90

I think it’s just fine without. While I appreciate their efforts to throw in a little anti-poaching storyline, I don’t think it’s really needed. It seemed a little cheesy too. Usually the guides to a fine job with a few lines stating the significance of protection against animals and what the conservation efforts have done.

becca_

I think it’s just fine without. While I appreciate their efforts to throw in a little anti-poaching storyline, I don’t think it’s really needed. It seemed a little cheesy too. Usually the guides to a fine job with a few lines stating the significance of protection against animals and what the conservation efforts have done.

My thoughts exactly!

JIMINYCR

I miss it only because it added some extra thrill to the ride. I'm happy that I got to experience the old show before it was altered. I think the ride doesn't necessarily need the poaching element to make the attraction enjoyable for guests. The focus is now directed towards viewing of the animals in their environment and so the poaching lesson isn't a great loss.

Calm Down Rover

I rode a couple of weeks ago, and I loved how quiet the ride was. The poaching storyline was a noble effort, but the radio chatter was incessant (I have Wilson yelling "Simba 1! Simba 1!" permanently burned into my brain). The animals are engrossing enough on their own.

Funnily enough, some guy in the row behind me was loudly complaining about the lost radio chatter and storyline. Though I disagree, I think some occasional atmospheric music wouldn't hurt. I kinda miss the soundtrack that played in the elephant section, which I personally regarded as the attraction's main musical theme.

danyoung56

I think some occasional atmospheric music wouldn't hurt. I kinda miss the soundtrack that played in the elephant section, which I personally regarded as the attraction's main musical theme.

I've heard this fairly recently, and then on another trip it was gone. So I think it's at the discretion of the driver now.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This was brought up before. My thoughts are that the Poaching story (in all it's incarnations) provided some added excitement and helped to fill the void when the animals were not willing to show up for the day. In it's current state I feel like it's about as entertaining as a trip to the zoo. It's thrill is directly related to it's ability to keep the animals out in the open. No animals, no fun.

The night Safari adds something extra but it too suffers, IMO from a lack of "wow". It's just a safari, at night and with even less animals.

Don't get me wrong though. AK is my 2nd favorite park. I enjoy it's leisurely vibe. That said, although the poaching storyline was controversial, IMO it did make the attraction unique and exciting. A safari should be!

Kilimanjaro Safari is as much an attraction as it is a ride. Imagineering just needs to find the perfect balance between the two. They could easily tweak the ride to be "more" . I kinda miss the poaching storyline but more importantly, I miss the effects. It added excitement, drama and purpose. I think Killimanjoro Safari was (and would be) better with show elements.

Last edited:

s8film40

Yes. It was the only thing that really made the safari a theme park attraction rather than a zoo exhibit. I guess it's a good thing they no longer run those Nahtazu ads anymore, because that's exactly what it is now.

Mrs.Hatcher

I miss it only because it added some extra thrill to the ride. I'm happy that I got to experience the old show before it was altered. I think the ride doesn't necessarily need the poaching element to make the attraction enjoyable for guests. The focus is now directed towards viewing of the animals in their environment and so the poaching lesson isn't a great loss.
I too miss it. It was a little cheezy but really fun and added a bit of excitement.

jonnyc

I'm glad it's gone, I don't need preaching in my theme park visits. I originally was rather ambivalent toward the story line until a family with several young kids had their day ended because the little girl got upset and cried uncontrollably about the mother being killed and what about the baby.

Let's hope her parents don't show her The Lion King or Bambi...

Mrs.Hatcher

This was brought up before. My thoughts are that the Poaching story (in all it's incarnations) provided some added excitement and helped to fill the void when the animals were not willing to show up for the day. In it's current state I feel like it's about as entertaining as a trip to the zoo. It's thrill is directly related to it's ability to keep the animals out in the open. No animals, no fun.

The night Safari adds something extra but it too suffers, IMO from a lack of "wow". It's just a safari, at night and with even less animals.

Don't get me wrong though. AK is my 2nd favorite park. I enjoy it's leisurely vibe. That said, although the poaching storyline was controversial, IMO it did make the attraction unique and exciting. A safari should be!

Kilimanjaro Safari is as much an attraction as it is a ride. Imagineering just needs to find the perfect balance between the two. They could easily tweak the ride to be "more" . I kinda miss the poaching storyline but more importantly, I miss the effects. It added excitement, drama and purpose. I think Killimanjoro Safari was (and would be) better with show elements.
Agreed! ❤😊

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom