Kidani Village - Does "Community Hall" = Children's Activity Center?

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Hey there hi there ho there. Title more or less says it all. I read that as of August 1st, Kidani's "Children's Activity Center" will be closing permanently. I'm only assuming that is the DVC "Community Hall." Am I right? Or is there some Activity Center I didn't know about? Or is that the Safari So Good Arcade?

Our next trip is a split stay - half Kidani, half Bay Lake, and I gotta be honest, my kids enjoy having a few hours to make crafts and play games in the Community Halls (Communities Halls? Communities Hall? It's the internet, spelling and grammar are irrelevant, right?). And that goes double in the event of a storm screwing up plans. It would stink if the Community Hall is going away, and I worry/wonder if that's going to be a pattern for all DVC resorts.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Pretty sure they are referring to Simba's Clubhouse over at Jambo house. All 3 of the child care locations in the hotels are closing at the end of July.
You might be right, and I hope you are. What threw me was the first thing I read about the "Children's Activity Center" closing, they specified Kidani Village versus Jambo. Per undercover tourist closing and refurbishments page https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/refurbishments-closings-walt-disney-world-universal-orlando/
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge

• None
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House

• None
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village

• Aug. 1, 2018: Children's Activity Centers will be closing permanently. Kid's Nite Out will remain available for guests looking for a child or babysitter service.
Thus my confusion.

wannabeBelle

You might be right, and I hope you are. What threw me was the first thing I read about the "Children's Activity Center" closing, they specified Kidani Village versus Jambo. Per undercover tourist closing and refurbishments page https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/refurbishments-closings-walt-disney-world-universal-orlando/
Thus my confusion.
I have a friend who works there and she hasn't said a word about the Community Hall closing. I know I would have heard about this for sure!! Marie

dreamfinder

nickys

Premium Member
To be clear it's all the Children's Clubs that are closing. Nothing to do with the DVC community halls.

The DVC community halls differ from resort to resort. Kidani's is actually used each night for the "movie night", and hads a big comfy sofa, chairs, beanbags etc. Free popcorn included.

Not sure what kind of activities happen there through the day, there's so much of that over at Jambo House.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
To be clear it's all the Children's Clubs that are closing. Nothing to do with the DVC community halls.

The DVC community halls differ from resort to resort. Kidani's is actually used each night for the "movie night", and hads a big comfy sofa, chairs, beanbags etc. Free popcorn included.

Not sure what kind of activities happen there through the day, there's so much of that over at Jambo House.
The Community Hall at any DVC resort is kind of like a high end version of a "game room" at any other hotel, free to enter, many of the things are free to use, some things cost a bit more. Like, playing the video games (Playstation and Xbox type games) are free. There are toys for kids to play with, coloring books, tv to watch, all of that free. But they also have crafts for kids to make if they choose so you pay for those supplies, maybe you'll make a necklace or paint a planter pot, etc. They'll also have a free DVD library you can borrow from if you want to bring a movie upstairs.
I'm sure plenty of people spend their entire trip in a DVC resort and never step foot in it, maybe not even know it's there. It's not the reason to stay at a DVC resort, or to buy into DVC in the first place. But my kids notice those things, even on a day where there's lots to do anywhere else on property. On those occasions where a bad storm whips up and destroys your plans and closes the pools, the Community Hall can be a real blessing. Sometimes even after coming back from the parks, if it's not too late and the Hall is still open, the kids would want to go in and play with the toys there, even just for a few minutes. You know how parents can spend thousands at WDW for tickets and character meals and the room but the thing the kids remember the most is the pool? Same deal for my kids and Community Halls.

nickys

Premium Member
The Community Hall at any DVC resort is kind of like a high end version of a "game room" at any other hotel, free to enter, many of the things are free to use, some things cost a bit more. Like, playing the video games (Playstation and Xbox type games) are free. There are toys for kids to play with, coloring books, tv to watch, all of that free. But they also have crafts for kids to make if they choose so you pay for those supplies, maybe you'll make a necklace or paint a planter pot, etc. They'll also have a free DVD library you can borrow from if you want to bring a movie upstairs.
I'm sure plenty of people spend their entire trip in a DVC resort and never step foot in it, maybe not even know it's there. It's not the reason to stay at a DVC resort, or to buy into DVC in the first place. But my kids notice those things, even on a day where there's lots to do anywhere else on property. On those occasions where a bad storm whips up and destroys your plans and closes the pools, the Community Hall can be a real blessing. Sometimes even after coming back from the parks, if it's not too late and the Hall is still open, the kids would want to go in and play with the toys there, even just for a few minutes. You know how parents can spend thousands at WDW for tickets and character meals and the room but the thing the kids remember the most is the pool? Same deal for my kids and Community Halls.

We haven't really used them much, but yes they're great places. We've been in the one at Bay Lake and it's fab. Some have CMs in at specific times, but they're not a crèche or club.

But they do vary. And I don't recall Kidani's having loads of stuff in there, it's major function seemed to be the movie night, aka "movie under the stars" which they don't actually do outside because of the animals.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
We haven't really used them much, but yes they're great places. We've been in the one at Bay Lake and it's fab. Some have CMs in at specific times, but they're not a crèche or club.

But they do vary. And I don't recall Kidani's having loads of stuff in there, it's major function seemed to be the movie night, aka "movie under the stars" which they don't actually do outside because of the animals.
Well they do have billiards and foosball...I vaguely remember air hockey...and then the video games and craft projects. Comfy couch if I recall...and if your room doesn't have a savannah view, the Community Hall does. So if you want to hang outside checking out animals while your kids paint another coin bank...

wannabeBelle

I know that my friend loves working there and hanging with her guests. She is a great person, very upbeat and positive, perfect for this kind of guest interaction!!! Ill tell her of your compliments, I know she would be pleased to hear them!! Marie

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I know that my friend loves working there and hanging with her guests. She is a great person, very upbeat and positive, perfect for this kind of guest interaction!!! Ill tell her of your compliments, I know she would be pleased to hear them!! Marie
Yeah please do. Too many CMs only hear complaints as opposed to praise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom