Kicked to iTunes Store

zweltar

Original Poster
Lately I have been getting kicked to the iTunes Store automatically in the iPhone and iPad app. I am not clicking in a link or an ad. It's just doing it automatically. Very frustrating when I'm in the middle of reading, especially since it restarts the app, kicking me out of the thread.

Any ideas?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Lately I have been getting kicked to the iTunes Store automatically in the iPhone and iPad app. I am not clicking in a link or an ad. It's just doing it automatically. Very frustrating when I'm in the middle of reading, especially since it restarts the app, kicking me out of the thread.

Any ideas?
Are you in any particular place in the forum at the time?

zweltar

Original Poster
It doesn't seem to matter where I am in the forum in terms of thread or section. Regardless of where I am, the iPhone/iPad app sends me straight to the App Store as if I clicked an ad, which I did not do. For instance, when I clicked the alert for your post, it took me to the App Store.

zweltar

Original Poster
Additionally, this has only happened since the update to the new forum software/layout.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the update. Can you let me know if it is continuing to do so now?

The current version of the iOS app is being replaced with an all new version. Until then, the best mobile experience is using Safari on http://www.wdwmagic.com for both the main site and the forums.

Furiated

Just had this happen to me on Mobile Safari. Was browsing the News and Rumors forum in the hub construction thread.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would be interested to know if you see this again. If so, could you let me know which page.

Thanks!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Speaking of ads, is everyone getting those ads in the second post of each thread?

For me there was always a banner ad below the second post, but now it seems to be a square ad (sometimes video) on the right hand side.

That's what I get too - it's very distracting because I always think it's a picture or video someone posted, so I stop and look at it.

On a thread page, there are 3 ad units. Previously, there was a wide banner at the top, a wide banner after the first post, and a wide banner near the bottom of the page.

The wide banner after the first post has been replaced with a more square shaped banner on the right side of the second post.

Banner ads can be removed by becoming a premium member - Upgrade to a WDWMAGIC Premium Account

DisneyGigi

On a thread page, there are 3 ad units. Previously, there was a wide banner at the top, a wide banner after the first post, and a wide banner near the bottom of the page.

The wide banner after the first post has been replaced with a more square shaped banner on the right side of the second post.

Banner ads can be removed by becoming a premium member - Upgrade to a WDWMAGIC Premium Account
Just wanted to add, that it looks actually to be a part of the post now, like a part of the person's post. It was still taking me to the app store earlier today around 3:00 4:00. You do not have to click anything for it to happen it just all of the sudden does it. No problems, as of right now, but this was the first thread I clicked on.

Furiated

Ive had it happen a bunch; I generally ignore it. Seems to be an ad that is causing it.

Yup, both times for me it kicked over to the App Store it was for some crappy Uber ripoff ride service or something.

I don't mind regular ads on here, I dont use an ad blocker and I try and click on the ads to help support the site. But ads that take you off the page and kick you over to the App Store should be removed IMO.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yup, both times for me it kicked over to the App Store it was for some crappy Uber ripoff ride service or something.

I don't mind regular ads on here, I dont use an ad blocker and I try and click on the ads to help support the site. But ads that take you off the page and kick you over to the App Store should be removed IMO.
We don't deliberately use ads of that type. We rely on Google to screen all ads that are shown on the site, and in 99.9999% of cases they effective in screening out anything of that type. Unfortunately, a few seem to be creeping in at the moment, and unfortunately it is largely out of our hands.

Furiated

We don't deliberately use ads of that type. We rely on Google to screen all ads that are shown on the site, and in 99.9999% of cases they effective in screening out anything of that type. Unfortunately, a few seem to be creeping in at the moment, and unfortunately it is largely out of our hands.

Good to hear, I didn't think you would use ads like that on purpose here but I wasn't sure. Also not knowing how any of that works I wasn't sure what recourse you have, if any, when you find an ad doing that.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Good to hear, I didn't think you would use ads like that on purpose here but I wasn't sure. Also not knowing how any of that works I wasn't sure what recourse you have, if any, when you find an ad doing that.
Those types of ads are against Google's advertiser terms and conditions, and once they are found, they are removed with consequences.

It happened back in January, and they seemed to have got it under control, but this past week it seems to have returned. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution. It is extremely annoying for everyone involved.

PhotoDave219

Those types of ads are against Google's advertiser terms and conditions, and once they are found, they are removed with consequences.

It happened back in January, and they seemed to have got it under control, but this past week it seems to have returned. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution. It is extremely annoying for everyone involved.

If it happens again, I'll make sure to screen grab it. But it's happened maybe 3-4 times in the past year? So based on number of ad impressions, way under 1% of the time

cosmicray

It's been happening to me as well on Safari on my iPhone. Only about once or twice a day while browsing the forums though, so no biggie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom