Kathleen Kennedy

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I saw it…she got a solid minute (out of 43). Was not interviewed or on screen at all.

…keep at it 👍🏻
That contract end date is closing in real fast, those rumors for the last several years of her being ousted early don't seem to be coming true.

Even fresh solid rumors now swirling of her getting another contract renewal:

So guess Disney isn't upset with her after all. We're heading into an interesting couple months for sure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That contract end date is closing in real fast, those rumors for the last several years of her being ousted early don't seem to be coming true.

Even fresh solid rumors now swirling of her getting another contract renewal:

So guess Disney isn't upset with her after all. We're heading into an interesting couple months for sure.
They’re gonna keep her…under the same arrangement for the last 2 years. No creative say

cool

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They’re gonna keep her…under the same arrangement for the last 2 years. No creative say

cool
Which is fine as she should have always stuck to the business side of things. Let Favreau and Filoni run the creative side.

But this counters the so called "insider" posts made here that Disney was "upset" and "ready to fire her". Which based on this report appears to be completely the opposite of how Disney feels about her. If this renewal happens that means they are happy with her. You don't renew a contract of someone who you're "ready to fire".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is fine as she should have always stuck to the business side of things. Let Favreau and Filoni run the creative side.

But this counters the so called "insider" posts made here that Disney was "upset" and "ready to fire her". Which based on this report appears to be completely the opposite of how Disney feels about her. If this renewal happens that means they are happy with her. You don't renew a contract of someone who you're "ready to fire".
I don’t have a problem with her dealing with lawyers and agents…that is what she has done for 30 years!!!

but as far as the “insiders go”…who says that idea was wrong? Solo flopped and the damaged caused by that pathetic trilogy will be felt on the bottomline for DECADES.

but iger rolled out…and if the power struggle stories are true during the last year…replacing the Lucas chief isn’t on slapheads radar..he doesn’t know much beyond the shops.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t have a problem with her dealing with lawyers and agents…that is what she has done for 30 years!!!

but as far as the “insiders go”…who says that idea was wrong? Solo flopped and the damaged caused by that pathetic trilogy will be felt on the bottomline for DECADES.

but iger rolled out…and if the power struggle stories are true during the last year…replacing the Lucas chief isn’t on slapheads radar..he doesn’t know much beyond the shops.
Because again this counters the whole “Disney is mad and ready to fire her” insider narrative that WDWPro and others has been floating around here long before Iger left. If it was really true Iger would have given her the boot before he left. Or at the very least Chapek would have done it anytime in the last 18 months during his executive house cleaning.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because again this counters the whole “Disney is mad and ready to fire her” insider narrative that WDWPro and others has been floating around here long before Iger left. If it was really true Iger would have given her the boot before he left. Or at the very least Chapek would have done it anytime in the last 18 months during his executive house cleaning.
Ehhh…she’s was shoved into a closet. Do the research and try to find mention of her for the last couple of years. You will find little to none. And I do believe her hand picked story group people where tossed so hard out of the headquarters they landed in Santa Clara…

nobody is an “insider” to any significant level when you are talking about an oligarchy like Disney anyway. People with no real gravitas talk too much and start theses things. Others think it’s ok to make it up because there’s always a backdoor out of the web.

but I think the Bobs could feel that they “did enough”….the mandalorian has provided something to point to that shows they can squeak by with the old guard fans (it’s almost directly a message to people from 1980)…while not directly causing any backlash with kennedy by ejecting her. But no more “the force is female” T-shirts at fan events.
But up until Mando it’s been Completely stupid and misplayed. You can be for everyone without FORCING people to feel guilty for what they liked when they were younger. It’s mining the past for future grievances. And a straight up reboot - Hollywood/Disney’s version of denying the human ability to remember - could work IF you got another way to take it…not just a pile of garbage to follow.

But I think the “handling” of a situation…and there’s little doubt Star Wars hasn’t been as good should be for Disney based on where they started with it…is a mix of “punting” by the Bob’s while hoping time heals.

I would guess they want her to retire?…but won’t force it as it now stands. A short term deal/compromise would be my guess as to what happens. But rian johnson shouldn’t wait by the phone regardless…man boy has done quite enough.

she is 68

and slappy hasn’t really forced anyone out at the studios, has he?? He’s cleaned most of the corporate cabinet, legal, PR, WDI, park management…but hasn’t tiptoed much into the big 3 studios.

might be because he’s completely non-creative? And that’s probably not the wisest quality of a ceo in Burbank?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ehhh…she’s was shoved into a closet. Do the research and try to find mention of her for the last couple of years. You will find little to none. And I do believe her hand picked story group people where tossed so hard out of the headquarters they landed in Santa Clara…

nobody is an “insider” to any significant level when you are talking about an oligarchy like Disney anyway. People with no real gravitas talk too much and start theses things. Others think it’s ok to make it up because there’s always a backdoor out of the web.

but I think the Bobs could feel that they “did enough”….the mandalorian has provided something to point to that shows they can squeak by with the old guard fans (it’s almost directly a message to people from 1980)…while not directly causing any backlash with kennedy by ejecting her. But no more “the force is female” T-shirts at fan events.
But up until Mando it’s been Completely stupid and misplayed. You can be for everyone without FORCING people to feel guilty for what they liked when they were younger. It’s mining the past for future grievances. And a straight up reboot - Hollywood/Disney’s version of denying the human ability to remember - could work IF you got another way to take it…not just a pile of garbage to follow.

But I think the “handling” of a situation…and there’s little doubt Star Wars hasn’t been as good should be for Disney based on where they started with it…is a mix of “punting” by the Bob’s while hoping time heals.

I would guess they want her to retire?…but won’t force it as it now stands. A short term deal/compromise would be my guess as to what happens. But rian johnson shouldn’t wait by the phone regardless…man boy has done quite enough.

she is 68

and slappy hasn’t really forced anyone out at the studios, has he?? He’s cleaned most of the corporate cabinet, legal, PR, WDI, park management…but hasn’t tiptoed much into the big 3 studios.

might be because he’s completely non-creative? And that’s probably not the wisest quality of a ceo in Burbank?

You can try to rationalize it all you want. Point is still the same, you don't renew the contract of someone you're mad at and ready to fire. Sorry that is not how large companies work. Remember Iger is still the Executive Chairman of the BOD (until Dec), he and the rest of the board would have to approve her executive contract extension. So its not like this is Chapek's decision alone.

And as for they are just really "wanting her to retire", again you don't renew the contract of someone you want to retire, you let the contract expire and not renew it. This again is part of this narrative that old SW fans that are making up because they don't like her decisions for the franchise.

As for they "stuck her in a closet" and not allowing her to do anything, well she was just seen on-set for Indy 5 back in June:

E3TZvPQX0AgnUU5

Seems she must have escaped that closet, as it appears she still has a hands-on role in LFL productions....

So accept it, Disney wants her to stick around to run LFL no matter how the fandom feels about it. They like the fact she has helped bring in $7.5B for just the SW franchise, not to mention the countless subs for D+. They may ask her to stay out of the lime light, but so what, she is still in charge of LFL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You can try to rationalize it all you want. Point is still the same, you don't renew the contract of someone you're mad at and ready to fire. Sorry that is not how large companies work. Remember Iger is still the Executive Chairman of the BOD (until Dec), he and the rest of the board would have to approve her executive contract extension. So its not like this is Chapek's decision alone.

And as for they are just really "wanting her to retire", again you don't renew the contract of someone you want to retire, you let the contract expire and not renew it. This again is part of this narrative that old SW fans that are making up because they don't like her decisions for the franchise.

As for they "stuck her in a closet" and not allowing her to do anything, well she was just seen on-set for Indy 5 back in June:

E3TZvPQX0AgnUU5

Seems she must have escaped that closet, as it appears she still has a hands-on role in LFL productions....

So accept it, Disney wants her to stick around to run LFL no matter how the fandom feels about it. They like the fact she has helped bring in $7.5B for just the SW franchise, not to mention the countless subs for D+. They may ask her to stay out of the lime light, but so what, she is still in charge of LFL.
And to add to my post, for an example of how you would put a head of a studio out to pasture without kicking them out of the company just look at Alan Horn. He was effectively sidelined from being the head of Walt Disney Studios and made "Chief Creative Officer" For Walt Disney Studios just in December. So yes Chapek has had a direct role in the shakeups for the Studio executive teams.

The fact that Kennedy will remain the head of LFL shows they aren't trying to sideline her.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

E3TZvPQX0AgnUU5

So we’re back to she’s a smash hit…and the Hollywood press , the merchandise partners, an a lot of the fanbase just “doesn’t understand”

have a good day, bro…stay on the ship and listen to the music.

I’m not justifying anything…I’m telling you what actually happened and you have some agenda not to see it.

so Indy shots prove your point? Wait…you papa Steve? And Harrison the cash out check guy? And wasn’t some guy named “frank Marshall” in on those?

…right

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So we’re back to she’s a smash hit…and the Hollywood press , the merchandise partners, an a lot of the fanbase just “doesn’t understand”

have a good day, bro…stay on the ship and listen to the music.

I’m not justifying anything…I’m telling you what actually happened and you have some agenda not to see it.

so Indy shots prove your point? Wait…you papa Steve? And Harrison the cash out check guy? And wasn’t some guy named “frank Marshall” in on those?

…right
I have no agenda, I saw the backlash and everything else that went along with it, and to some extent I agree with some of it. And I never claimed she was a smash hit. I even said in one of my posts on this "she should have always stuck to the business side of things. Let Favreau and Filoni run the creative side". And by all accounts that is exactly what is happening with SW.

So lets review since you've seem to forgotten, but appears to be important to you. Do I think most of the creative decisions made on recent SW movies were good, no, and I've said so MANNNNNNNNNNNNY times in discussion with you on this topic. Did I like the movies overall, yes I did, they aren't groundbreaking and they have their problems, but they are overall good popcorn films, which from an entertainment perspective is all I want in a movie. But that is all beside the point. We're talking business decisions here not my critical analysis of the movies.

The point as you keep avoiding or just plain missing is that if Disney wasn't happy with her performance, wasn't happy with her direction of the studio, or was just plain tired of the social media backlash, they would have FIRED HER, or at the very least would let her contract expire. The fact that she is still on-set THIS YEAR on a LFL production with direct interactions with both directors and cast shows she is still TRUSTED by Disney to helm the ship that is Lucas Films. And if this contract renewal happens it shows they want her to continue in that role for at least another contract term. It doesn't matter what you, I, or any other fan feel about the movies themselves. As long as people keep showing up and forking over money to watch them that is ALL Disney cares about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom