Kathleen Kennedy Emerges From Bunker to Name New SVP

erasure fan1

If they want a Feige, this should have been Filoni
My bet would be he is too close to the George Lucas era for Disney. They have made it abundantly clear they want to move on from Lucas star wars. So he's fine to pepper in here and there with TV but I just can't see them ever giving him control.

I think it's strange they let Kennedy hire this position with such little time left on her contract. It makes me think maybe she's going to be here longer than I thought. Maybe they can't find anyone to replace her like a few of us have speculated.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My bet would be he is too close to the George Lucas era for Disney. They have made it abundantly clear they want to move on from Lucas star wars. So he's fine to pepper in here and there with TV but I just can't see them ever giving him control.

I think it's strange they let Kennedy hire this position with such little time left on her contract. It makes me think maybe she's going to be here longer than I thought. Maybe they can't find anyone to replace her like a few of us have speculated.
While I've long believe the "fan backlash" was more an internet thing than actual backlash. And that Kennedy while not good creatively, she is good on the business side. Solo being the anomaly all other Disney Star Wars films have made over a Billion at the box office. And that is what Iger and the board look at for a head of a studio. So I figure with now them having a single person to lead the franchise on the creative side. She is sticking around a lot longer to handle the business side than most posters around here predicted.

erasure fan1

So I figure with now them having a single person to lead the franchise on the creative side. She is sticking around a lot longer to handle the business side than most posters around here predicted.
That could be true. Unfortunately I'm not super excited about this hire. Unless I'm missing something, what does she have in her background that says she can handle star wars. Feige was and is a marvel fan at heart. Understanding the history of the franchise and what is at its core is important. We will see how this works out in the end. But maybe this is something Disney allowed so if it doesn't work out, they have an out to let her go.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Unless I'm missing something, what does she have in her background that says she can handle star wars.

Kathleen Kennedy (born June 5, 1953) is an American film producer and the president of Lucasfilm. In 1981, she co-founded the production company Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg and husband Frank Marshall.​
Her first film as a producer was E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). She subsequently produced the Jurassic Park franchise, the first two of which became two of the top ten highest-grossing films of the 1990s. In 1992, she co-founded The Kennedy/Marshall Company with her husband Frank Marshall. On October 30, 2012, she became the president of Lucasfilm after The Walt Disney Company acquired the company for over $4 billion.[1] She received the Irving G. Thalberg Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2018.[2][3]​
Overall, Kennedy participated in the making of 60 films, mostly as executive producer, that garnered 8 Academy Award nominations[4] and over $11 billion worldwide, including three of the highest-grossing films in motion picture history.[5] Kennedy is second only to Spielberg in domestic box office receipts, with over $7 billion as of January 2018.[6]​

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That could be true. Unfortunately I'm not super excited about this hire. Unless I'm missing something, what does she have in her background that says she can handle star wars. Feige was and is a marvel fan at heart. Understanding the history of the franchise and what is at its core is important. We will see how this works out in the end. But maybe this is something Disney allowed so if it doesn't work out, they have an out to let her go.
One doesn’t need to know the history of a franchise to be in this position. You can hire a creative director to oversee content development, like Dave, while Michelle oversees all the actual production stuff like hiring directors, writers, etc. Something that Kennedy used to do. So more likely she’s being groomed to take over for Kennedy, and not for reasons you think, more below. The point is Lucas is making moves to be more like Marvel, which should be applauded.

As for Kennedy being the fall woman, not likely. If anything this tells me she’s going to be moving up from Lucas into Disney Corp after EP9. I expect similar moves with the other heads as Iger’s 2021 date draws closer. We maybe seeing the start of the next CEO audition process.

erasure fan1

Kathleen Kennedy (born June 5, 1953) is an American film producer and the president of Lucasfilm. In 1981, she co-founded the production company Amblin Entertainment with Steven Spielberg and husband Frank Marshall.​
Her first film as a producer was E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). She subsequently produced the Jurassic Park franchise, the first two of which became two of the top ten highest-grossing films of the 1990s. In 1992, she co-founded The Kennedy/Marshall Company with her husband Frank Marshall. On October 30, 2012, she became the president of Lucasfilm after The Walt Disney Company acquired the company for over $4 billion.[1] She received the Irving G. Thalberg Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2018.[2][3]​
Overall, Kennedy participated in the making of 60 films, mostly as executive producer, that garnered 8 Academy Award nominations[4] and over $11 billion worldwide, including three of the highest-grossing films in motion picture history.[5] Kennedy is second only to Spielberg in domestic box office receipts, with over $7 billion as of January 2018.[6]​
I know Kennedys back ground, we are talking about Rejwan. What has she done? All I see is she has credits on 2 of the most fan decisive films in history in last jedi and into darkness.
One doesn’t need to know the history of a franchise to be in this position. You can hire a creative director to oversee content
Sure you can, I have no doubts of that. Of course That is Kennedy and we've seen what having no respect for the history of the franchise can have. So like I said, maybe Rejwan will work out, time will tell. But I just don't trust Kennedy to hire the "right" person for star wars. Now maybe she has been a huge star wars fan her whole life. Maybe she really knows and gets star wars. In all the articles, I see nothing that indicates that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know Kennedys back ground, we are talking about Rejwan. What has she done? All I see is she has credits on 2 of the most fan decisive films in history in last jedi and into darkness.

Sure you can, I have no doubts of that. Of course That is Kennedy and we've seen what having no respect for the history of the franchise can have. So like I said, maybe Rejwan will work out, time will tell. But I just don't trust Kennedy to hire the "right" person for star wars. Now maybe she has been a huge star wars fan her whole life. Maybe she really knows and gets star wars. In all the articles, I see nothing that indicates that.

The "right" person doesn't need to be a huge Star Wars fan in order to work with the people that are. This is some fan notion built up on the internet that only a Star Wars Fan can run the franchise. Hollywood studios have run fine for generations without a fan of the content they make running them. Again a content director who is a fan, such as a Dave Filoni, can weave a narrative through multiple movies and TV shows with one voice, while Michelle works on the production side of things. Or maybe Michelle is that person that can be the content director also and we just don't know it yet.

Feige is a unique person likely never to be truly duplicated by another studio.

Janir

Sounds like they're trying to get their Feige, a single person overseeing the franchise. Hopefully it'll work out.
They needed to give that to Filoni. He's got the most in depth and best handle on Star Wars Old and New and would make a MUCH better overall franchise 'master'.
EDIT: It does need to go to someone with the love and background for Star Wars. It pains me to say Filoni should get it but he would be the best caretaker. Star Wars as of late has been taking characters and concepts out of the Legends material and making them cannon again and that needs someone that has the old school background.
Secondly what it doesn't need is Kennedy-like meddling in the plots and scripts giving us Last Jedi and Solo movies, these were the equivalent of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory , what should have easily been money printing gimmes.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They needed to give that to Filoni. He's got the most in depth and best handle on Star Wars Old and New and would make a MUCH better overall franchise 'master'.

There is a difference between an overall producer running a franchise and a content director weaving a story through multiple movies and TV shows. In Feige they have found one person for Marvel for both roles. Again you don't need a single person to perform both roles, and is very rare. Get Filoni to be the content director and let Michelle be the overall producer dealing with the business side, stuff that Filoni probably doesn't want to deal with.

erasure fan1

The "right" person doesn't need to be a huge Star Wars fan in order to work with the people that are. This is some fan notion built up on the internet that only a Star Wars Fan can run the franchise. Hollywood studios have run fine for generations without a fan of the content they make running them. Again a content director who is a fan, such as a Dave Filoni, can weave a narrative through multiple movies and TV shows with one voice, while Michelle works on the production side of things. Or maybe Michelle is that person that can be the content director also and we just don't know it yet.

Feige is a unique person likely never to be truly duplicated by another studio.
Like I said, I agree that they don't need to be a huge fan to have success. I do believe that it does help to have that knowledge and history with the IP. My bigger concern was/is did Kennedy make this hire? And if so I don't have a lot of faith in her decisions when it comes to star wars. And why Rejwan? All I see on her resume is two storied franchises that have 2 extremely negative movies in last jedi and into darkness. And she really hasn't done much of anything else. That just doesn't scream confidence in my opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Like I said, I agree that they don't need to be a huge fan to have success. I do believe that it does help to have that knowledge and history with the IP. My bigger concern was/is did Kennedy make this hire? And if so I don't have a lot of faith in her decisions when it comes to star wars. And why Rejwan? All I see on her resume is two storied franchises that have 2 extremely negative movies in last jedi and into darkness. And she really hasn't done much of anything else. That just doesn't scream confidence in my opinion.
Well I can't say if Kennedy hired her directly or if someone else did. But I'm sure, being the head of the studio, she at least at some input.

As for the rest, time will tell. Since EP9 is likely almost complete in post-production there isn't much for her to do on it. So Mandalorian and other Disney+ shows and other films will be our first look at what she can do.

Darkprime

What I suspect might be happening here is Rejwan really impressed the higher ups with her work on Rise of Skywalker. Someone (possibly Kennedy?) saw real potential in her maybe a case of seeing a bit of herself in Rejwan (That drive and passion for film) and has decided to personally take her under her wing. As Kennedy prepares to retire at the end of her current contract. This is Kennedy obviously laying the ground work for her successor. She will most likely be mentored personally by Kennedy.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom