Kathleen Kennedy Contract Renewed Through 2024

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well it appears those that were sure that Kennedy was gone in 2021 were wrong (again).....

Kennedy has a fresh renewal for another 3 years.

It was originally reported last week by a couple "questionable" sites. But now the more of the legit sites have picked up on the story.

Jedijax719

Her first hoorah as a renewed CEO should be to share updates on all the upcoming, supposed, SW stuff coming out.

The only movie scheduled has been delayed and the only 2 shows featured at the D+ Day was Boba Fett and Obi-Wan (and not much at all on the latter).

Time for KK to spread her wings and show us why she's worthy of that contract renewal.

erasure fan1

I was waiting for this thread to start. I'm still not convinced until I hear it from Disney. Just because her contract might have been renewed. It doesn't mean she will have the same control over star wars that she had before. I've been squarely on the side of she needs to go. I've also said Disney might not have the guts to get rid of her. Star wars is a poop show right now and another 3yrs of Kennedy calling the shots would be bad news. It would show me Disney doesn't really care about the brand anymore. Or Disney just figures star wars is so jacked right now that nothing but a few TV shows will hit in the next 3yrs anyway. So just send up the white flag.

Jedijax719

I was waiting for this thread to start. I'm still not convinced until I hear it from Disney. Just because her contract might have been renewed. It doesn't mean she will have the same control over star wars that she had before. I've been squarely on the side of she needs to go. I've also said Disney might not have the guts to get rid of her. Star wars is a poop show right now and another 3yrs of Kennedy calling the shots would be bad news. It would show me Disney doesn't really care about the brand anymore. Or Disney just figures star wars is so jacked right now that nothing but a few TV shows will hit in the next 3yrs anyway. So just send up the white flag.
Wouldn't go that far. Mando was red hot for a while and ended season 2 on an extreme high. It's just that so much has seemed to just hault while Marvel is going absolutely bonkers.

erasure fan1

Wouldn't go that far. Mando was red hot for a while and ended season 2 on an extreme high. It's just that so much has seemed to just hault while Marvel is going absolutely bonkers.
Yea tv is keeping the brand alive. The films are dead, at least for the next 3 or 4 years. My issue with banking on Mando is this. Without baby Yoda, the show might not be the phenomenon it was. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Kennedy having Luke feature heavily in season 3. So maybe we get a little bit of Grogu in an episode or 2, but I don't see him being the focus. There is still a huge rift between the fans and star was. Keeping Kennedy on will just make the gap larger. Does that matter? I'm not sure. But when your final movie of your new trilogy does less than half the first, there are issues. And only ONE movie didn't have production issues and problems. And that is the one movie that divided everyone. You can't have a great franchise when every time you turn around a director is being fired or quitting or the movies being cancelled. Disney should really be embarrassed.

Jedijax719

I'm pretty sure that creative control, for at least the TV shows, is being given to Filoni. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Personally, I would be overjoyed by having a CGI Luke if it meant having the Grogu show. They can actually show Luke's successes as a Jedi master, something we'd ALL love and need to see.

And if they needed to CGI to make it work, by all means have scenes with Luke, Leia, and Han between ROTJ and TFA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So far, there's been no corroboration of the initial report by someone (mostly credible) "who's been told..." she re-upped for three more years.

All the sites covering this go back to that one source AFAICT.

Still hasn't been picked up by Variety or Deadline or any major news organization.

jpinkc

If anything and Disney had a creative Brain left. She would be out the door and Filoni would be in charge and they would find someone to handle the day to day in the background. Worked for Walt and Roy.

sedati

If anything and Disney had a creative Brain left. She would be out the door and Filoni would be in charge and they would find someone to handle the day to day in the background. Worked for Walt and Roy.
And then we watch the "fans" turn on Filoni the moment they don't feel fully served by him and the circle goes round again.

erasure fan1

And then we watch the "fans" turn on Filoni the moment they don't feel fully served by him and the circle goes round again.
Maybe, Maybe not. Not all star wars needs to be for everyone. But when you knock down what people love to try and prop up your new characters, you will have problems. I can't see Dave or John Disrespecting the original material. What movie under Kennedy is the one most favored? Rogue one. Why, because it respects the originals. It's not perfect by any means but did a great job of feeling like star wars. The fans turned on Kennedy when she turned on the fans. It's that simple. I don't need to rehash how Kennedy and her staff antagonized fans after last jedi.

The sequels should have been about Luke, Leia and Han. If not, you set the movies far after RotJ so you don't need to worry about it. At this point is there too much damage done that fans will never be happy? That's a possibility. But what the Mando did gives me some hope that with the right person in charge, great things can happen. Anyone who says you can't recapture the way the originals made you feel is wrong. And episode one of the Mandalorian is the proof.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The story is still unconfirmed even though the vlogosphere is running with it.

So many "fan" sites are just reporting it without any credit of any source. One site points to a blog/article that doesn't mention a source as "confirmation" of a rumor from August that KK was staying.

🙄🙄🙄

I'm not saying it's true or false. Just saying that the matter is still unconfirmed.

Jedijax719

Personally, I couldn't give a flip whether KK stays or goes. I just want more material and vision for that material. Trust is the issue and a LOT of people do not trust SW under the Disney umbrella right now, at least for theatrical releases. But there is so much they can do on D+.

A lot of people want Old Republic/Sith War stories. That would make a great series. It would also make great theatrical material. I hope/am pretty sure they are brainstorming how to approach that era and build back SW glory.

ArmoredRodent

A lot of people want Old Republic/Sith War stories. That would make a great series. It would also make great theatrical material. I hope/am pretty sure they are brainstorming how to approach that era and build back SW glory.

What may be more interesting is that as SW loses its way, Amazon Prime video products just arriving include The Expanse "war" finale season and the video version of the 13-book Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan and now taken over by red-hot Brandon Sanderson (!!). Not the weird, hurried Netflix or Disney products tuned by Marketing into poorly-written and -plotted pablum, but fully-fleshed out sagas with superb characterization and big budgets. Sagas, not IP alone. Sort of like ... OG SW. Now, if only someone would pick up Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan stories or maybe Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St. Mary's ...

I love what Dave Filoni has done with no budget by mining the worlds already created. I recognize that Kennedy did not stand in his way. But with what's in the pipeline, I don't see anything like the vision and potential of what Prime is doing right now coming from Kennedy's guidance.

erasure fan1

The story is still unconfirmed even though the vlogosphere is running with it.

So many "fan" sites are just reporting it without any credit of any source.
Exactly. It's an easy click bait way to go.
"Kennedy BACK for 3 more years!!!!"
Then nothing of any real substance to back it. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. Until I see the Disney press release, I'm still saying she's done when the contract officially expires.

sedati

What may be more interesting is that as SW loses its way, Amazon Prime video products just arriving include The Expanse "war" finale season and the video version of the 13-book Wheel of Time by the late Robert Jordan and now taken over by red-hot Brandon Sanderson (!!). Not the weird, hurried Netflix or Disney products tuned by Marketing into poorly-written and -plotted pablum, but fully-fleshed out sagas with superb characterization and big budgets. Sagas, not IP alone. Sort of like ... OG SW. Now, if only someone would pick up Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan stories or maybe Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St. Mary's ...

I love what Dave Filoni has done with no budget by mining the worlds already created. I recognize that Kennedy did not stand in his way. But with what's in the pipeline, I don't see anything like the vision and potential of what Prime is doing right now coming from Kennedy's guidance.
I just dipped my toe into Amazon Streaming, and I wasn't honestly impressed. The Boys got really boring and sloppy in season 2. The Wheel of Time looks like some money was thrown at it, but not talent- specifically in the direction, action, editing, and cinematography (the end of episode one is downright terrible in all respects). Honestly, Apple has impressed me- there isn't much, but what there is, is of high quality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just dipped my toe into Amazon Streaming, and I wasn't honestly impressed. The Boys got really boring and sloppy in season 2. The Wheel of Time looks like some money was thrown at it, but not talent- specifically in the direction, action, editing, and cinematography (the end of episode one is downright terrible in all respects). Honestly, Apple has impressed me- there isn't much, but what there is, is of high quality.
The more attempts are made…the more I think sci-fi/fantasy/adventure should be presented in movie format…

none of these series really get anywhere…including the marvel ones.

mandalorian is by far the best…and I wonder if they’ve already run out of material there?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I totally missed this nugget.

she “pulled an Iger” circa 2003…went into hiding and crawled back out with a new contract…

Disney’s management is beyond atrocious..

don’t believe me? Look at the tone deaf/awful stuff in this:

Who do you think gave her the contract? There is no amorphous ""Disney management"" that gets hoodwinked by such a thing.

She was supposed to be, according the rumors, hated by ""Disney management", isolated from doing her duties by ""Disney management"", about to be fired by ""Disney management"".

""Disney management"" is two people above her (her bosses): Whoever is the president of the movies division and the CEO. Which of these did KK 'trick' by 'hiding' for a while? How does that even work? Not taking their calls? Not showing up for meetings?

You do know that these two executives aren't a manifestation of social media 'consensus,' right? That they're actually two individuals, and not "the internet," right?

This is one of the more ridiculous made-up suppositions to explain that KK isn't as hated by everyone as much as yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom